Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your SQ testing songs?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason str View Post
    I would be more than happy to speak more about the record vs compressed recordings but this is just not the place. Feel free to start another thread if you feel the need is there.
    Since you brought the link up I'll do that. I would like it if you chimed in if you have time. Sorry for the off-topic, but I thought the 'correction' was valid and reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by jason str View Post
    If you were closer i would invite you over for a listen to both on my main system.
    I would actually have liked that. I'm sure it'd be a nice experience.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    Since you brought the link up I'll do that. I would like it if you chimed in if you have time. Sorry for the off-topic, but I thought the 'correction' was valid and reasonable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WojopwjrsnY

A bud has a remastered studio versions of this and others (game songs) like Incoming that blew me away!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Oh. one more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UzHnoSc8D0
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I tend to favor game and movie soundtracks for sound quality testing. Examples include:

Transformers
    World of Warcraft
    Crysis 1/2/3

Nine Inch Nails tends to also be very good, as is Rammstein
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Member
    I know this is somewhat besides the topic, but there's certainly a good reason for why one could argue that some sound isn't appropriate for testing sound quality of a playback system. A very uneven, dense and heavily compressed piece certainly stresses the playback system in certain ways, but it does nothing to show other parts of it. Imaging tends to be harder to perceive as well as the depth of the soundstage not to mention the ability for the system to reproduce a wide range of dynamics.

So I would personally not use action films of the Transformers "kind" or "loud rock music" for checking actual quality.

Of course, the end goal is pleasure so if one subjectively thinks one system sounds better with the type of media one consumes then for all practical purposes it IS better.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

I know this is somewhat besides the topic, but there's certainly a good reason for why one could argue that some sound isn't appropriate for testing sound quality of a playback system. A very uneven, dense and heavily compressed piece certainly stresses the playback system in certain ways, but it does nothing to show other parts of it. Imaging tends to be harder to perceive as well as the depth of the soundstage not to mention the ability for the system to reproduce a wide range of dynamics.

So I would personally not use action films of the Transformers "kind" or "loud rock music" for checking actual quality.

Of course, the end goal is pleasure so if one subjectively thinks one system sounds better with the type of media one consumes then for all practical purposes it IS better.
    That's what I'm going for. A subjective, non-scientific test.

But you might be surprised. There are many passages that are not all loud or rock, but much more subtle. I choose music with a large dynamic range.

I also test with classical.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12