Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 31 of 31

Thread: Your SQ testing songs?

  1. #26
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by jason str View Post
    I would be more than happy to speak more about the record vs compressed recordings but this is just not the place. Feel free to start another thread if you feel the need is there.
    Since you brought the link up I'll do that. I would like it if you chimed in if you have time. Sorry for the off-topic, but I thought the 'correction' was valid and reasonable.

    Quote Originally Posted by jason str View Post
    If you were closer i would invite you over for a listen to both on my main system.
    I would actually have liked that. I'm sure it'd be a nice experience.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

  2. #27
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Little Rock
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    Since you brought the link up I'll do that. I would like it if you chimed in if you have time. Sorry for the off-topic, but I thought the 'correction' was valid and reasonable.



    I would actually have liked that. I'm sure it'd be a nice experience.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WojopwjrsnY

    A bud has a remastered studio versions of this and others (game songs) like Incoming that blew me away!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!


    Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

  3. #28
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Little Rock
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    Since you brought the link up I'll do that. I would like it if you chimed in if you have time. Sorry for the off-topic, but I thought the 'correction' was valid and reasonable.



    I would actually have liked that. I'm sure it'd be a nice experience.
    Oh. one more!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UzHnoSc8D0
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!


    Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

  4. #29
    The Voice of Reason
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    9,220
    I tend to favor game and movie soundtracks for sound quality testing. Examples include:

    Transformers
    World of Warcraft
    Crysis 1/2/3

    Nine Inch Nails tends to also be very good, as is Rammstein
    Windows 7 + SSD:
    Mode: AHCI, default Microsoft driver or latest Intel RST
    Defrag: Off
    Hibernation: Off (use Sleep mode, recommend a UPS)
    Indexing: On (it only indexes a few locations, not your whole system unless you tell it to)
    Page File: On (set to the minimum of 16MB if you have a large amount of RAM, disabling not recommended)
    Prefetch: On
    Superfetch: On (RAM is always faster than an SSD - use it)
    System Restore: Off (with regular backups)
    Browser Cache: RAM Only, Disk Cache Off (How to with Chrome)
    Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Downloads to HDD (Public Libraries too, see above link about junctions)
    UAC: On!

  5. #30
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    316
    I know this is somewhat besides the topic, but there's certainly a good reason for why one could argue that some sound isn't appropriate for testing sound quality of a playback system. A very uneven, dense and heavily compressed piece certainly stresses the playback system in certain ways, but it does nothing to show other parts of it. Imaging tends to be harder to perceive as well as the depth of the soundstage not to mention the ability for the system to reproduce a wide range of dynamics.

    So I would personally not use action films of the Transformers "kind" or "loud rock music" for checking actual quality.

    Of course, the end goal is pleasure so if one subjectively thinks one system sounds better with the type of media one consumes then for all practical purposes it IS better.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

  6. #31
    The Voice of Reason
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    9,220
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    I know this is somewhat besides the topic, but there's certainly a good reason for why one could argue that some sound isn't appropriate for testing sound quality of a playback system. A very uneven, dense and heavily compressed piece certainly stresses the playback system in certain ways, but it does nothing to show other parts of it. Imaging tends to be harder to perceive as well as the depth of the soundstage not to mention the ability for the system to reproduce a wide range of dynamics.

    So I would personally not use action films of the Transformers "kind" or "loud rock music" for checking actual quality.

    Of course, the end goal is pleasure so if one subjectively thinks one system sounds better with the type of media one consumes then for all practical purposes it IS better.
    That's what I'm going for. A subjective, non-scientific test.

    But you might be surprised. There are many passages that are not all loud or rock, but much more subtle. I choose music with a large dynamic range.

    I also test with classical.
    Windows 7 + SSD:
    Mode: AHCI, default Microsoft driver or latest Intel RST
    Defrag: Off
    Hibernation: Off (use Sleep mode, recommend a UPS)
    Indexing: On (it only indexes a few locations, not your whole system unless you tell it to)
    Page File: On (set to the minimum of 16MB if you have a large amount of RAM, disabling not recommended)
    Prefetch: On
    Superfetch: On (RAM is always faster than an SSD - use it)
    System Restore: Off (with regular backups)
    Browser Cache: RAM Only, Disk Cache Off (How to with Chrome)
    Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Downloads to HDD (Public Libraries too, see above link about junctions)
    UAC: On!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •