Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foxconn to replace workers with 1 million robots in 3 years

Xtreme Addict

Foxconn to replace workers with 1 million robots in 3 years

Sorry if it's repeated.
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english201..._131018764.htm

http://www.globaltimes.cn/NEWS/tabid...n-3-years.aspx

So it seems that finally Foxconn has found a way to end it's workers woes: no workers->no suicides.

I'm not sure what to think.

Xtreme 3D Team
    I'm done buying foxconn products. If apple continues to use foxconn to produce their products as well I will boycott them as well.

Minor foxconn parts used by other board manufacurers and in electronics I can deal with, I suppose.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Is this the beginning of SkyNET?
    or the HAL9000
    Or.......GLaDOS?
    Either way is it really that much of an issue? I mean cars are largely produced by robots these days. I admit the redundancies will suck and be horrible for those involved, but will they be given jobs elsewhere.... like to maintain the robots?
    John
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    I'm done buying foxconn products. If apple continues to use foxconn to produce their products as well I will boycott them as well.

Minor foxconn parts used by other board manufacurers and in electronics I can deal with, I suppose.
    That means no more Nokia, Xbox, PlayStation, Dell, Acer, Asus, Cisco, MSI... I'm sure I've missed a few... Intel branded boards, etc.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Addict
    Robots need to be maintained, and you still need an operator. However, it gets rid of most of the labor force.

What they're doing is increasing overhead and decreasing the variable cost related to production workers. The technology takes very high investment to acquire and implement, but negates the cost of the worker.

They determined that they can spread the fixed cost across their product. It also makes it easier for the accounting department to account for costs. In other words, its not really a solution that they cooked up to "get rid of the workers."

They don't really care about their workers' safety, this is just cheaper. They don't care about getting revenge, this is just cheaper. Or at least, their assessment has lead them to conclude that it will be.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

sometime even a robot can do mans job....
    foxconn realy dull to trust their life in robot
    Ghz Was Not Everything.......

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZS View Post
    Is this the beginning of SkyNET?
    or the HAL9000
    Or.......GLaDOS?
    Either way is it really that much of an issue? I mean cars are largely produced by robots these days. I admit the redundancies will suck and be horrible for those involved, but will they be given jobs elsewhere.... like to maintain the robots?
    John
    You need way less people to maintain the robots, otherwise you would never break even with the high costs of the robots themselves. Many will have to find work elsewhere. If you ask me this is a change that comes naturally with higher developed countries. "Regular", low skilled labour is replaced by robots and more people are working in engineering. If you ask me, this will be a good thing in the long run for China. For the rest of the world, well, just one more competitor

I read an article a couple of months ago that the chinese government wanted to get away from just being the workbench of the world since now they are completely dependent of the engineering and IP of others. But for that to make a lot of sense they will have to vastly increase the wealth of the population (so that they buy more of the stuff they are producing themselves) and I don't see that happening soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    Robots need to be maintained, and you still need an operator. However, it gets rid of most of the labor force.

What they're doing is increasing overhead and decreasing the variable cost related to production workers. The technology takes very high investment to acquire and implement, but negates the cost of the worker.

They determined that they can spread the fixed cost across their product. It also makes it easier for the accounting department to account for costs. In other words, its not really a solution that they cooked up to "get rid of the workers."

They don't really care about their workers' safety, this is just cheaper. They don't care about getting revenge, this is just cheaper. Or at least, their assessment has lead them to conclude that it will be.
    Good post
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    That means no more Nokia, Xbox, PlayStation, Dell, Acer, Asus, Cisco, MSI... I'm sure I've missed a few... Intel branded boards, etc.
    You missed the whole second half of my post.

Foxconn makes some things for those companies, sure. IO ports for example. However those companies also have parts made in house or elsewhere. The PS3 is not at all entirely foxconn built.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 07-31-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    Smile

NooB MOD
    You'll be surprised how much is built by Foxconn. They do the ENTIRE boards for Intel, they do MOST nVidia graphics cards (from there they go to MSI, Gigabyte, etc), etc. They do more than most people realise.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    You missed the whole second half of my post.

Foxconn makes some things for those companies, sure. IO ports for example. However those companies also have parts made in house or elsewhere. The PS3 is not at all entirely foxconn built.
    the ps3 is entirely assembled by foxconn and they make everything but the HDD, fan and cell/rsx.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the ps3 is entirely assembled by foxconn and they make everything but the HDD, fan and cell/rsx.
    First year PS3's were made by only ASUSTeK, though yes the new slims and some of the old design are Foxconn, with some Pegatron mixed in.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 07-31-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Stupid move.

Yes its better for the profit of some companies, but look at the so called western world where it got us when we got rid of the jobs and outsourced everything to China, handing jobs over to robots will have the same result for the Chinese as it had for us when we outsourced to China, some imaginary economic growth followed by the realization that it was imaginary resulting in the bubble bursting.

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    Stupid move.

Yes its better for the profit of some companies, but look at the so called western world where it got us when we got rid of the jobs and outsourced everything to China, handing jobs over to robots will have the same result for the Chinese as it had for us when we outsourced to China, some imaginary economic growth followed by the realization that it was imaginary resulting in the bubble bursting.
    I don't understand what you're saying here. In the US and abroad product manufacturing was farmed out to countries with cheaper labor because it was not cost-effective to produce items in-country; that is to say, attempting to produce in the US was a competitive disadvantage and most companies that tried lost to competitors who did... the successful ones only survive because they became higher-end brands, changing their sales market. By contrast, FoxConn is keeping production in-country, creating a necessity for a labor market with greater skill, and probably producing a better product. They will be ensuring their company is able to continue and expand... that's not really a false economy.

There was no false bubble that burst either. Let's look at the auto industry, it is easily the #1 industry to look at as regards replacing people with robots. Sure, most western auto manufacturers did go under, but it is universally agreed that it was due to extended labor costs (pensions, health care), which are worker issues... DESPITE the automation. Even the auto workers unions saw that, which is why they accepted staggering losses to pension and healthcare systems as part of all reformations. As some proof for this, the auto manufacturers who hadn't been as generous to employees and had used heavier automation were actually the ones who didn't collapse. There are huge volumes of data to show that car manufacturing was made cheaper and faster by the use of heavy automation, and there is no reason to assume this wouldn't be the same.

As for my potentially controversial point regarding quality, by and large those westerners who lost jobs were better skilled than uneducated migrant workers (which form the majority of Foxconn labor), and robots were able to deliver nearly the same quality of work (a bit worse, but close enough in most industries)... so I would suppose the chances are actually pretty good that quality will IMPROVE for Foxconn.

At the end of the day it is always unfortunate to hear about people who are expected to lose jobs. From a basic human perspective it sucks. But it's also one of those facts of life. Instructing companies to stay less competitive to keep people employed is not a long-term solution, as eventually the company is doomed to feel the pinch and get beaten by competition, at which point everyone loses their job, and probably without nearly so much notice. I've been there, and as much as it sucks it's really part of the human condition as we have created it.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    Outsourcing to China didn't happen because of robots. That happened because people decided that they didn't want to pay for quality. Rather, they wanted to pay bottom dollar. That includes all of us.

I don't see how you can relate robotics to outsourcing. Consumers demanding minimum pricing pushed manufacturing to China. When the cheap Chinese goods came to the west we all bought it up. We didn't care. Eventually, the manufacturers in the West couldn't keep up and had to cut costs to stay in business. That meant going to China and other such sources. However, it has nothing to do with converting to robotics. This is a Chinese manufacturer converting to Robotics....

I am not sure what lead Foxconn to mechanize. However, that industry is already Asia centralized. How is it even a threat to "take jobs away" when that industry has already been taken?
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh Damnnn,

The jobs are being outsourced FROM the Chinese......
    Modded Cosmos. | Maximus II Formula. Bios 1307| 2x2 Mushkin XP ASCENT 8500 | Q9550-E0- 4.10 + TRUE | Visiontek HD4870X2 | LN32A550 1920x1080 | X-FI Extreme Gamer | Z5300E | G15v.1 | G7 | MX518 | Corsair HX1000 | X25-MG2 80G | 5xHDD

Xtreme Mentor
    looks like Foxconn found an employee that is more subservient, makes fewer errors, and is even cheaper to have around than the Chinese.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    looks like Foxconn found an employee that is more subservient, makes fewer errors, and is even cheaper to have around than the Chinese.
    In this case, its probably similar in cost because their workers were already dirt cheap. I have a feeling that maybe their move was due to consistency standards.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    so, soon we will have news about suicide robots.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4009MHz
    NB @ 2673MHz
    Corsair H50 + Scythe Ultra Kaze 3k
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
    2X2GB DDR2 OCZ Gold
    XFX Radeon HD5850 XXX @ 900MHz Core
    OCZ Agility2 60GB
    2x500GB HDD WD Blue
    250GB Samsung
    SevenTeam 620W PAF
    CoolerMaster CM690

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    In this case, its probably similar in cost because their workers were already dirt cheap. I have a feeling that maybe their move was due to consistency standards.
    or it could be from the rising wages and the global push (including from in china) for a minimum wage in china. the slave factories are also paying alot less than non skilled city work is now so as china comes up its becoming more viable for services/skilled labor instead of just unskilled crap work.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

of the Strawhat crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokinhow View Post
    Report from the Supervisor Robot says "I..I don't even know what happened... he..just... reached around and unplugged himself!!"

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    Report from the Supervisor Robot says "I..I don't even know what happened... he..just... reached around and unplugged himself!!"
    BAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA 'unplugged himself' ROLMAO!
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    or it could be from the rising wages and the global push (including from in china) for a minimum wage in china. the slave factories are also paying alot less than non skilled city work is now so as china comes up its becoming more viable for services/skilled labor instead of just unskilled crap work.
    That is true. It is one reason why some manufacturers are starting to in-source some things. Aside from better quality, its no longer cheaper to do certain things in China.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokinhow View Post
    Ghost in the Shell 2

wow Artificial Intelligence world is coming.... does that mean some of those worker will lose their job?

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    Ghost in the Shell 2
    4 actually, already been 3 movies iirc.. at least 2 for sure.

If you're referring to the act, then a better example would be Vexille.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast