Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ADATA: 8GB unbuffered DIMMs, get your 8GB unbuffered DIMMs, now at Newegg

I am Xtreme
    now we just need an ACARD that takes DDR3
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    Did I need a 361HP car? Will it NEED to have 450+ after I modify the engine?
    that actually DOES make a difference though...
    maybe just stronger vibrations and more noise, and more thrust when racing to the next traffic light, but it does make SOME difference...
    for gamers having 16-24gb makes absolutely no difference at all... 0...

Xtreme Addict
    That's 5-10fps gain on the min.
    Memory upgrades last,
    cpu/gpu get swaped 2-3 times through out mobo life.

Xtreme Member
    I'm kinda thinking everyone has been looking at this the wrong way.

Adata isnt really saying, "hey gamers you need crazy amounts of ram to game!", but as the trend continues for more and more ram every year, I think they're just saying these sticks will be fast in games, just as fast as 4gb, for when you game. So if you need more than 8gb, which a lot of us engineers and artists/producers need, you don't have to sacrifice speed for quantity, which sometimes is the case. Who knows, maybe all 8gb dimms coming out will be this fast.

That's how I'm seeing. It's the best of both worlds.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post
    I think they're just saying these sticks will be fast in games, just as fast as 4gb, for when you game.
    Actually they wont be on sandybridge.

Currently for 4 Gb sticks, you want one of the following for gaming on SB:

Cas 6-7 1333 Mhz
    Cas 7-8 1600 Mhz
    Cas 8-9 1866 Mhz

All at 1T. 8 Gb sticks with 1333 Mhz and cas 9 are going to greatly reduce SB performance over any of those. The black G Skill Ripjaws are currently the best 4 Gb sticks to manage those frequencies and timings. There arent any 4 Gb sticks out yet that can manage 2000+ Mhz lower than Cas 10.

Regardless of the 8 Gb size per dimm, these modules are far too slow to classify as gaming ram.

Xtreme Addict
    finally time for 64bit enabled games?

other than a few exceptions the majority are still 32bit with no 64bit option even.

Xtreme Mentor
    Its been time for 64 bit enabled games since Vista came out. The software industry is always far behind the hardware.

Even if you only use 4 Gb ram, having 64 bit enabled games would likely mean that you wouldnt need any more because it would remove the 32 bit limit of 3 Gb.

Ram is so cheap now for 2-4 Gb sticks that it makes no sense having any less than 4 Gb, which should really become the minimum for new PC games.

The only people that wouldnt benefit from 64 bit software is anyone running less that 4 Gb, or still using a 32 bit OS, which is very small number of gamers now.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    8 Gb sticks with 1333 Mhz and cas 9 are going to greatly reduce SB performance over any of those.
    that is misinformation... ever since sandy bridge came out we've known it doesn't care about memory speed and timings...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39741.png 
Views:	462 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	118531
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-08-01_145412.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	118532

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    that is misinformation... ever since sandy bridge came out we've known it doesn't care about memory speed and timings...
    Depends entirely on which review you want to read:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mem...3_7.html#sect0

with 1600 Mhz+ modules being so cheap now, why would someone get 1333 Mhz?

The review differences could be entirely because the CPU in the review your results was taken from wasnt overclocked.

Memory bandwidth is currently bottlenecked by the rest of the system, an SB cpu running at 3 Ghz is going to be a much larger bottleneck than one overclocked to over 4.6 Ghz.
    Last edited by Mungri; 08-01-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Since I don't bother overlocking anymore and I only run m-itx system because I move quite a bit, those benchmarks just show I don't need to spend even the tiniest bit extra on lower timings.

Although I don't see any benchmarks at 2560x1440, if there were some good ones I might change my mind.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    Depends entirely on which review you want to read:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mem...3_7.html#sect0

with 1600 Mhz+ modules being so cheap now, why would someone get 1333 Mhz?

The review differences could be entirely because the CPU in the review your results was taken from wasnt overclocked.

Memory bandwidth is currently bottlenecked by the rest of the system, an SB cpu running at 3 Ghz is going to be a much larger bottleneck than one overclocked to over 4.6 Ghz.
    Boy, those 90 FPS in Civilization V must really be ruining their gameplay! I saw one (1) non- synthetic benchmark in that test where ram speed made any sort of tangible difference, winrar. Of course one buys the faster ram if it is priced about equally, but I can think of a hundred better ways to spend 50% more than to obtain an extra 2% performance.
    Obsolescence be thy name

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    that actually DOES make a difference though...
    maybe just stronger vibrations and more noise, and more thrust when racing to the next traffic light, but it does make SOME difference...
    for gamers having 16-24gb makes absolutely no difference at all... 0...
    You misunderstand. My point was some people are willing to pay for the extra horsepower whether they're modifying the engine or buying the more powerful car. So, some people are willing to pay extra for more RAM, while others are not. That's all.

I can't see myself paying 330 for RAM, though, any more than I can see myself paying an extra 500 dollars on tires that will not add performance realistically for my application.
    Last edited by Stewie007; 08-01-2011 at 07:08 PM.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodin View Post
    Boy, those 90 FPS in Civilization V must really be ruining their gameplay! I saw one (1) non- synthetic benchmark in that test where ram speed made any sort of tangible difference, winrar. Of course one buys the faster ram if it is priced about equally, but I can think of a hundred better ways to spend 50% more than to obtain an extra 2% performance.
    You buy cheap but decent ram and overclock it yourself, like these:

http://www.memoryc.com/computermemor...hannelkit.html

Plus just about any 1600 mhz 2x4 Gb kit can be overclocked to 1866 Mhz at 1 Cas higher than their rated timings.

Those G Skill ripjaws can be overclocked all the way to 2200 Mhz:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...XH-gets-tested
    Last edited by Mungri; 08-01-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    One group strives to further tech,
    another group strives to prove it's not needed.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    They might be slow now compared to smaller 4GB sticks, although these can only get faster and better later on.

All new things cost a premium, it won't be long before 8gbx2 sets are cheap and fast.
    It wasn't long ago people were moaning that 4GB sticks were too slow and expensive vs the smaller 2GB which were faster and cheaper.

Xtreme Addict
    Still not available, but the price has gone up to 400. See what the instant sell out at 330 did? Next batch will be more expensive.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Member
    WOW, to expensive... 1333 Mhz haha to OLD !!!
    "We Overclock and Crunch you to the Ground" - DDTUNG

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel Core i7 3960X @ 4.0GHz HT 1.2V - On Water
    4x8GB ADATA XPG V2@ 2800 12-14-14-35 1T
    2x ADATA SSD XPG SX900 256GB RAID0
    2x Seagate 2TB
    SLI GTX 680 by ASUS
    Seasonic Extreme 1250 Watts
    Solid Tech-Station - Cosmos II
    Z5500 Sound Speakers

Xtreme Mentor
    You can further tech and ram module sizes all you want, but if software isnt catching up with the tech, then why bother buying a new tech like this while it is still in its infancy? In a couple of years time we will likely have 2000 Mhz 8 Gb modules at a much lower price, and even then most software still wont be able to make any use of it.

More ram isnt the same thing as a faster CPU or GPU, in which cases you can see the gains in every game you own as FPS increases. But even if you want to buy lots of ram - 16 Gb can be had for £100, and 24 Gb can be had for £150 with the current prices on 4 Gb modules.

With these 8 Gb modules, you are paying almost 3 times as much as the equivalent cost of 4 Gb modules, and you wont be able too see any difference. You can fill your slots up with affordable 4 Gb modules now as I have done, and you will have more ram than will ever be required for another 10+ years.

Wow, look at these crucials that OCUK are selling:

http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...odid=MY-132-CR
    http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...odid=MY-131-CR

£40 for 2x4 Gb, £60 for 3x4 Gb. They are only Cas 10, but 1600 Mhz and £20 per 4 Gb module.
    Last edited by Mungri; 08-02-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Not if you run m-itx systems and use lots of ram for multimedia creation along with programming.

I'd prefer to have 16GB of ram at a good speed like 1600mhz, 8gb dimms for perfect. Considering that m-itx boards only feature two RAM slots.

Also as many have stated, they're only expensive now because they are new. It won't be long before Corsair, OCZ and others jump on the 8GB dimm bandwagon.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    Not if you run m-itx systems and use lots of ram for multimedia creation along with programming.
    Do remember that these 8 Gb modules are being advertised as gaming ram. For professional use that would require over 16 Gb, you probably want ECC 8 Gb modules.

They will be better when they are cheaper, and available at 1600 Mhz.

Xtreme Addict
    You buy so that you can create the content,High quality anything takes up a lot of ram.16gb will become min requirement real soon.
    The bigger and better the environment the more ram will be needed (2x6gb dev gpu=a lot of ram),example 360/ps3 vs PC the more ram the higher the min so pc has a min of 60fps vs 24fps on the console.Some games (ports) play great @ 24fps though and you wont see too much of a gain w/ more memory.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well since "Cheap" Samsung/Kingshare 4GB DDR3 1333 hit $25 a stick all my PCs have 8GB of RAM in them now. DDR3 must have basically halved in price in the last 12 months, you have to love Moore's Law on this.

Just built a baby ITX system and 4GB of ram look PATHETIC!
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Xtreme Addict
    Some games (ports) play great @ 24fps though and you wont see too much of a gain w/ more memory.
    Almost no game (just a few) will benefit from having more than 6GB, unless you are multi-tasking.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    Well since "Cheap" Samsung/Kingshare 4GB DDR3 1333 hit $25 a stick all my PCs have 8GB of RAM in them now. DDR3 must have basically halved in price in the last 12 months, you have to love Moore's Law on this.

Just built a baby ITX system and 4GB of ram look PATHETIC!
    It's the same for me, also I love how Corsair are bringing out low profile ram.

The VengenceLP Arctic White is 1600Mhz and only uses 1.35v.

I for one, welcome 8GB dimms, once they make it into the market in mass; they're prices will drop and their performance will increase.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    It's the same for me, also I love how Corsair are bringing out low profile ram.

The VengenceLP Arctic White is 1600Mhz and only uses 1.35v.

I for one, welcome 8GB dimms, once they make it into the market in mass; they're prices will drop and their performance will increase.
    G.Skill has been selling 1.35V and 1.25V modules for a long time now, with the ECO series and now Sniper SR2 too. The ECOs are low profile. For 8GB they have a 1600CL8 1.35V ECO kit and a 1600CL9 1.25V Sniper SR2 kit. I have the 1600CL8 1,35V kit and it's stable at 1.3V, probably at 1.25V too
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast