Thread: DICE on cutting Battlefield 3 console content

Xtreme Member

DICE on cutting Battlefield 3 console content

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...vil-or-stupid/
    "The biggest difference between the PC and console version of Battlefield 3 is that we have 64 players on PC and 24 players maximum on console. The rest is more or less the same: we use the same engine, the same technology, the same animation system, the same lighting system.
    good news for PC gamers??

btw some alpha footage:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0djf23itXAA
    Last edited by Philip_J_Fry; 07-26-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Xtreme Member
    I was very worried the map sizes/ destruction was going to be compromised by the consoles limited memory and processing power.
    this just confirms that this time around DICE is actually making the game for PC! great news
    DJ Falcone 2x Technics SL1200 MK5, Behringer DJX750 Mixer, Alienware m17 laptop.

They've been saying this the whole time. PC was the lead platform and consoles would get the scraps

Xtreme Member
    yeah but there a lot of skepticism, 24 players for consoles is old news, but this is the first I've heard of the consoles getting smaller more compact maps.
    also back when dice said they are going to limit destruction in multiplayer for game balancing, alot of people ran to the conclusion that less destruction is because of consoles limitations
    When asked if the maps in both versions were the same, Bach added: "More or less. When we say they are smaller, it's not that we have cut them in half. But we tried to compact them slightly to keep the action up.
    Last edited by halofanman; 07-26-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    DJ Falcone 2x Technics SL1200 MK5, Behringer DJX750 Mixer, Alienware m17 laptop.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sure they are limiting the console version. But the basics are identical. So what are they doing to really give the PC a push?

And we all know what the current FB engine is for PC. Will they use transparent textures / fake geometry for BF3? Will it have little to no functional antialiasing and look jagged like BC2? Will it look as saturated, with exaggerated bloom and unconfortable shifts between lighter and darker areas? Not to mention the multitude of graphic bugs on BC2 like the shifting / appearing / dissapearing textures and black flickering. These are some real problems arising from the fact that this game was multi platform, just like BF3. Looking at the Alpha video I'm not too convinced.

Who cares, at least Battlefield 3 is not a console port and a PC developed game and that is good for all of us, did console gamers expect their 6 year old console could handle such demanding tasks? I think not.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Addict
    You people are WAY TOO OPTOMISTIC.......

I'm gonna wait till the beta to call FAIL, but I can smell it from here..... BC3 anyone???
    X299X Aorus Master
    I9 10920x
    32gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-4000
    EVGA 2070 Super x2
    Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
    4 512gb Silicon Power NVME
    4 480 Adata SSD
    2 1tb HGST 7200rpm 2.5 drives
    X-Fi Titanium
    1200 watt Lepa
    Custom water-cooled View 51TG

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm waiting for a finished product before deciding (after first couple of patches). No more pre-ordering for me after Homefront, ha ha. They left the onscreen console command hints in the PC game. Weren't even mapped to a keyboard, ha ha.

Xtreme Member
    honestly though, i thought this was gonna be a console port after they said they were gonna nerf destruction. now i just dont know .. heh

am hoping it wont be held back by console too much. no mod tool is a big let down, but they gotta make some money by selling DLC to cover the cost of making PC version better i guess (if thats the case*). i mean if it were PC only, it could have been so much more obviously, but thats just not how the business works nowadays.
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

I dont care about commanders or selectable nades or knifes anymore. I want the damn view distance slider back so I can see far far away unlike BC2 where if your not zoomed in with rifle you cant see certain objects, or the enemy past 200 meters......
    CPU: Phenom II X4 940
    HSF: Rocketfish POS
    Mobo: DFI/Sapphire Pure 790X
    RAM: Mushkin 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066@400mhz (5-5-5-18)
    HDD1: Velociraptor 150GB
    HDD2/3: WD Caviar Blue 250GB/Seagate Barracuda 160GB
    Optical: Pioneer 215D
    Video: Asus 6950 2GB
    Audio: X-Fi Fatality Professonal
    Misc: Logitech G15/G5/Razer Piranha
    Case/PSU: TT Dokker/TT Toughpower XT 775W
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster BX2235
    Drivers: Newest

BF3 is a console port. Its a console port where they are removing the worst limitations of the console platform from the PC version. Just take a look at the videos for selecting weapons and you will see the interface is designed for a controller not KB+mouse. But PC gamers don't really care about weapon selection screen layout being designed for console, or the removal of the Q wheel functionality that was so popular in BF2.

What is confusing people is Dice's comments where they say this is a PC game first. IMO it boils down to this. Dice is trying to grow the market for their game on the Console, but without loosing the core of their players which are on PC. They have to keep the PC players happy, a mishap there could cost the release, but the console sales is an attempt to expand. Have they compromised the game somewhat? Of course they have, but they are trying to make sure its not so severe to loose their customers.

An interesting experiment by the publishers considering the consoles are in their sunset years, a potentially risky one. But if the presales are anything to go by then BF3 is going to be a hugely successful game.
    i7-3930k Stock!
    Asus P79 Pro
    16Gb Corsair 1600 CL9
    2x Sapphire 7970's
    Watercooled with 2x 360 Thermochill Pa
    500GB Crucial M4
    120GB SSD Vertex 2E
    Corsair TX750
    64bit WIN7
    2x 24" Samsung 2443BW (1920x1200)
    1x24" Dell U2410 (1920x1200 IPS)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    im glad there cutting stuff on consoles. bring pc gaming back. everything has been pushed to consoles and it sucks. i hope they cut the crap out of the console versions. lots of people are switching to pc just to play this game lol
    cpu: 2600k@ 4.5ghz
    mobo: asus p8p67 deluxe
    ram: gskill ripjaw x F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH
    gfx: gigabyte gtx460
    psu:corsair 520hx
    case: antec 900
    cpu cooling: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B

500mhz cas 3 club: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=235630
    p4 511 2.8ghz@ 5004mhz :http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=124434
    p4 541 3.2ghz@ 4909mhz :http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=157470

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm hoping this kind of PC respectful development along with Nintendo's new PS3/360 superior Wii U system will convince Sony and MS they need to step up their game and stop stagnating the gaming industry with their crap hardware they cling to for too many years. At most the PS3 and 360 should have been 5 year platforms, not 10 year.

It would be ideal of course if the PC platform got more exclusive or lead development, but we all know the trend of multi platform titles made on console and ported to PC isn't going to end anytime soon, so we may as well hope they at least step up the console hardware.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 08-10-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Hey guys, did we read the same article?
    I very much doubt it because many of you think they have developed the PC version separately but I'm reading that DICE says:

The rest is more or less the same: we use the same engine, the same technology, the same animation system, the same lighting system. Our aim is to give the player the exact same experience and not try to dumb down the console version.
    we would love to do 64 players on console but then we would have to cut away so much; people would get very upset that it looked worse, played worse and wasn't as fun as the PC version. We would never do that because the fun is always more important

We want to create the same experience for PC as for consoles.

I can't understand how can you guys claim that this game is not a port or the PC version being developed separately.
    It's the same game. You will feature the same effects, same shadow, same view distances, same EVERYTHING!!!
    The PC version could handle 128 players... if they wanted to. And there would be no need to cut anything since our computers are powerful enough to handle that and much more. We could have really HUGE maps, the smaller like Highway Tampa. We could had EVERY aspect of the game overhauled for this generation of CPUs/GPUs but instead of that, epic TRUE BATTLEFIELD 3 we are just going to receive another piece of sh|t of a console port.
    And nevertheles, there you are clapping for this port.

I say boycott DICE, there are already lots of good games out there and we don't need another console port.

Xtreme Addict
    Light'in up francis...its not the end of the world.
    i still have hope for some of the things i remember of bf(not bc)
    pc gamers have built the franciese,so what if dice/wanna get in on the co(d)nsole cash they owe us nothing.
    it will play like bc2 so not too bad a port.

i'd say after the sales of bc2 for console/pc they got what they wanted out of that "test" so we should blame ourselves for buying it. but do i seem to be in the "bf vet" minority in not liking bc2.

they hit a good wave for bf3 what other online fps's are people waiting for on pc? ...me personally its just SS BFE and that i know we be old school and fun.
    i wish i was into cod at least they dont change that much...why would they?
    Last edited by cowie; 08-10-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I think it took guts for dice to scale up the pc version or scale down for consoles and not just add some crippled\broken features like mouse and key board support.
    -by the posts in the bf3 forums lots are people will be buying their first gaming pc for this game to try out the big maps, the more pc gamers the better for us
    -maybe more devs. will start doing the same , -more pc to console ports
    -until the beta comes out , I started playing battlefield4free ,they seem to need people to shoot and kill ,again and again ,over and over,
    MVF WC ||3770k-KL370||CM932||AX1200||580 sli -EK||
    3XMCR320\w655 EK[basement]||w655 EK[HAF932] || VL4N||MR||2xfan controllers || 9 x S-Flex F -[rads]
    8gb Trident 2400||Samsung S27A850D||Win7HP-64||2x120gb G2 R0 OS||2x150Vraptors R0-backup|| G15,G13||G9x
    PC sound>forte analog>Yamaha 765>4xPSB alpha B1>alpha C1>10" sub [very clean sound].+sens PC360

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No Mod Tools = No purchase

Really! Without the modding community there is no point in releasing a "PC" game. Though I'm not a modder I always enjoyed the modded games more than the original Vanilla game, POE2 mod for BF2 was fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post
    Hey guys, did we read the same article?
    I very much doubt it because many of you think they have developed the PC version separately but I'm reading that DICE says:

I can't understand how can you guys claim that this game is not a port or the PC version being developed separately.
    It's the same game. You will feature the same effects, same shadow, same view distances, same EVERYTHING!!!
    The PC version could handle 128 players... if they wanted to. And there would be no need to cut anything since our computers are powerful enough to handle that and much more. We could have really HUGE maps, the smaller like Highway Tampa. We could had EVERY aspect of the game overhauled for this generation of CPUs/GPUs but instead of that, epic TRUE BATTLEFIELD 3 we are just going to receive another piece of sh|t of a console port.
    And nevertheles, there you are clapping for this port.

I say boycott DICE, there are already lots of good games out there and we don't need another console port.
    I totally agree with you, but we still should get BF3. Either that or deal with Call of n00b. And to me its like politics vote for one idiot or the other lesser more amigable idiot.

Btw, theres always the new Hitman game being realeased, but thats only good for a few days cause its single player.
    CPU: Phenom II X4 940
    HSF: Rocketfish POS
    Mobo: DFI/Sapphire Pure 790X
    RAM: Mushkin 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066@400mhz (5-5-5-18)
    HDD1: Velociraptor 150GB
    HDD2/3: WD Caviar Blue 250GB/Seagate Barracuda 160GB
    Optical: Pioneer 215D
    Video: Asus 6950 2GB
    Audio: X-Fi Fatality Professonal
    Misc: Logitech G15/G5/Razer Piranha
    Case/PSU: TT Dokker/TT Toughpower XT 775W
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster BX2235
    Drivers: Newest