Thread: Question regarding design

Xtreme Addict

Question regarding design

I am considering a redesign of my evaporator but am concerned with the ability to reliably bend 1/2" coil to fit inside a 5.875" ID pipe. So I was considering splitting the evaporator into two identically sized coils at 3/8" for easier coiling around a smaller radius. I would use two separate coils of exactly 10' in tubing length and split after the TXV using a distributor.

Is this a viable option given appropriate design?
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    Here are a few renders of my design idea. It looks a little busy so allow me to explain the mechanics just in case.

The pump outlet is split two ways to either side of the cooler. The inlets are vertical and offset to promote a vortex pattern flow. The water outlet is normal 1/2" ID tubing. I placed it in a spot where it should least disrupt the flow pattern. The refrigerant system will just use a TEE or a Y Connector if I can find one. No sense paying for a distributor especially because they don't have any that split into 3/8" outlets. Each coil will be of identical size. The two solenoids that can be seen in the drawing are for the cold radiator bypass. I am going to run them on a timer circuit that will alternate current between the two for set times. The bypass line will get most of the action and the cold radiator feed line will be active for 5 minutes or so.

This design should minimize any inefficiencies due to dual evaporator design by creating near identical conditions within both shells. The inlet temps will be identical, and the flow pattern should mostly prevent backwash into either cylinder. Should I use this design it will also make for a very structurally stable build.

I know, I keep redesigning it. But as I said, with the cancer treatment cost it will be a while before I can do anything. So I didn't have much to do with it. I can't help but want to engineer something...... building things is in my blood...... Before I start this one, however, I am going to get my license and refrigerant. That way I can do some real testing for the folks who have been waiting to see if my contraption will actually work. LOL Its been years.......

Attachment 118102

Attachment 118103
    Last edited by Stewie007; 07-24-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    I updated my design again..... ^_^ Here it is if you care to look. Maybe tell me what you think? *Here's to raising the cash to build it*

The first features the design of the refrigeration system. The condenser coil is already built, but the dual evap cooler is not. I think this design works the best for crispness of the design. This time I am going to take the time to build it to this spec as closely as possible. The cooler outlet might be easy to miss, but it is at the connection on the opposite end of the compressor. I'm going to use a 2" Tee with a 1/2" inch branch. It splits between the bypass and the main line. The bypass will be set to open when the system is running and the mainline cut off. Of course, extensive testing will be necessary to determine the optimum timing.

Attachment 119190

The next two just show a representation of the completed system with insulation and all.

Attachment 119191

Attachment 119192

The third removes the insulation to show the piping layout. I am going for a much cleaner look than previously. The evaporator inlets and outlets will proceed through the inner tube with the connections made through an end cap that seals the system.This way I ca better control consistency and aesthetics. I've switched to a L Style CPR valve in order to better integrate into the design.

Attachment 119193

The next two pictures offer a cross section from two different angles so that you can see what the routing will look like on the inside of the cooler shells. It will be compact in there.

Attachment 119194

Attachment 119195

The final picture shows the routing for the pump discharge into the coolers. I decided to switch it to a hidden position underneath the heat exchangers for a more crisp appearance. They will split into two separate tubes to 3/8" nominal from 1/2" nominal. They will insert at an angle that is perpendicular to the X axis. This will promote a vortex flow pattern and with the inner tube cutting off the central cavity will hopefully promote efficiency.

Attachment 119196
    Last edited by Stewie007; 08-21-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Electrically, just for a rehash. I will be using Johnson Controls System A419 to control the pump down solenoid, and a P70AB-12 pressure control for the compressor. I'll have the three solenoids connected to the A419 and one of the water solenoids will have to be normally open so that when the contacts close, the appropriate valves are opened, and it will close.

The bypass would thus open along with the pump down solenoid, and the main line valve will close at the same instance.

If anyone can recommend a good digital pressure control that will give me both high and low control I would also appreciate it. The P70 is effective, but Id like something digital.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    An additional revision thanks to Xeon the MG Pony's suggestion. I have included an oil separator into this design. The separator I have chosen is a 900 series Temprite separator. The oil line from the sep will drain right into the crank case via the rotalock tap.

Attachment 119543
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    I'm thinking I might switch to horizontal Rotary.... I was inspired.... Can't you tell that I am bored?

Regards, Stew.....