Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition vs. i7-990X Extreme Edition Benches Revealed

Xtreme Member
    well, keeping the same 6 cores/12 threads and going 15% faster is for me a good thing.

My profession as a cg artist usually involves lots of FX work.

This is an explosion i created 2-3 months ago in my spare time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T2qX9IEiSA

It involved 200GB of simulation data, around 10-12 hours of total simulation time and then of course render time, which was around 11-12 hours (4 minutes per frame at around 200 frames, but the first ones where faster than 4 minutes, since 4 minutes where when the explosion is full on.

so that would amount to around 23-24 hours of computational time done on my 4Ghz 920. If i would have had a 15% faster CPU, that 24 hour time would go to around 20 hours, so 4 hours gained.

In my industry, gaining 4 hours means either faster productions or more detail in the same time frame, either outcomes are really good.

So, 15% is definitely really good for me, but i really need all the power in the world. But for a gamer, doesn't justify getting a 6core SB-E vs a 2600k.

Visitor
    In a professional working environment I'd rather upgrade to 1366 hex cores if you're still on quad cores. Switching to a completely new platform on initial release could potentially turn into a huge time sink. 1366 is pretty much proven now and would give you an instant ~50% boost.

Also, I'm not sure how much credence we should give to the Intel rumors. It would indicate that they would rather stick to their planned release schedule over delivering a complete product with next gen features. I don't see the point of that kind of time pressure, considering their market position in the high-end desktop market...unless the problems are much larger than I'm assuming they are.
    Last edited by cx-ray; 07-24-2011 at 03:57 AM.

Xtreme Member
    For my type of work there is no downtime in switching platforms, all you need is more CPU power. so 15% more SB-E is definitely better. Depends on business and enviroment, i can imagine other work enviroments are more costly to changing the whole platform.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    And you can pick up a 6 core CPU if you ever need more cores.
    If the prices ever come down, which I've been waiting ages for. It usually happens when the next gen stuff is released.

The I7 970 is still far too expensive, you can get a whole new sandybridge CPU + Motherboard for less cost.
    Last edited by Mungri; 07-24-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Florinmocanu View Post
    well, keeping the same 6 cores/12 threads and going 15% faster is for me a good thing.

My profession as a cg artist usually involves lots of FX work.

This is an explosion i created 2-3 months ago in my spare time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T2qX9IEiSA

It involved 200GB of simulation data, around 10-12 hours of total simulation time and then of course render time, which was around 11-12 hours (4 minutes per frame at around 200 frames, but the first ones where faster than 4 minutes, since 4 minutes where when the explosion is full on.

so that would amount to around 23-24 hours of computational time done on my 4Ghz 920. If i would have had a 15% faster CPU, that 24 hour time would go to around 20 hours, so 4 hours gained.

In my industry, gaining 4 hours means either faster productions or more detail in the same time frame, either outcomes are really good.

So, 15% is definitely really good for me, but i really need all the power in the world. But for a gamer, doesn't justify getting a 6core SB-E vs a 2600k.
    You could also just add render nodes- get a separate PC with a 2600k, speed your render time up to 75% instead of 15%, and can use commodity parts such as $99 Z68 motherboards, just 4GB of RAM etc because it's a render slave.
    The saving grace is that you're using default scanline instead of a commercial renderer such as v-Ray or Brazil which charges by nodes (but the minimum license normally covers >2 PCs anyway)

As for 2011, I think it's a big joke as of now- especially since Z68 stuff has become cheap and proven, and you get an unlocked multiplier for less money. Remember how long it took for a decently priced X58 to show up? And AFAIK it was from MSI/Foxxconn instead of Asus/Gbyte.
    Last edited by Macadamia; 07-24-2011 at 07:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    You could also just add render nodes- get a separate PC with a 2600k, speed your render time up to 75% instead of 15%, and can use commodity parts such as $99 Z68 motherboards, just 4GB of RAM etc because it's a render slave.
    The saving grace is that you're using default scanline instead of a commercial renderer such as v-Ray or Brazil which charges by nodes (but the minimum license normally covers >2 PCs anyway)

As for 2011, I think it's a big joke as of now- especially since Z68 stuff has become cheap and proven, and you get an unlocked multiplier for less money. Remember how long it took for a decently priced X58 to show up? And AFAIK it was from MSI/Foxxconn instead of Asus/Gbyte.
    You cannot simulate fumefx on 2 pcs at the same time, you can simulate separate jobs ofc, that's another deal. of course it's good to have 1-2 slaves chugging the renders along your main workstation, but for a main workstation a SB-E looks really good.

Xtreme Addict
    going OT here, but have you tried Phoenix FD?
    Given how it's from Chaos they'll make it really fast and efficient- I didn't use FumeFX much but I disliked Afterburn throughly.
    Most particle-based sims should be required to distribute workloads- Realflow does that real good. If it only runs on 1 node it's normally a sign that you should stay away lol.

Xtreme Member
    FumeFx is kind of the industry standard. I tried Phoenix FD, really good, but not there yet to the maturity/strength of FFX. you can render it multiple nodes, through backburner but actual simulation is one pc only, for consistency reasons.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    15% is not enough for upgrade (in my opinion), but if you are buying new server, more performance for the same amount of money is always a good thing .
    2x Dual E5 2670, 32 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 2xSeagate Constellation ES 2TB, 1KW PSU
    HP Envy 17" - i7 2630 QM, HD6850, 8 GB.
    i7 3770, GF 650, 8 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 6x3 TB. 850W PSU

Xtreme Member
    Well im coming from a laptop and I want a hex and I need a hex. I need more cores and ram for my video editing work.

I personally can't invest in a 2+ year old platform when a brand new one is right around the corner. Im tempted to get a 2600k but I need a hex...Thats why sandy-e looks so good to me. Anyone wanna buy my laptop?

I've read Main stream Ivy's will be pin compatible with the current z68 boards/ be s1155. Has there been any info out about the Ivy-E's being s2011? or?
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post
    Has there been any info out about the Ivy-E's being s2011? or?
    We don't know anything about it yet...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Cruncher
    So on average 13% faster on desktop than 3.47Ghz Wetemere 6C,according to intel(disregarding physics). This puts it at around 257pts in hardware.fr chart,dangerously close(1% difference ) to what I speculated some time ago.
    Last edited by informal; 07-25-2011 at 03:05 AM.

Xtreme Monster
    I have seen many posts complaining about every new Intel architecture generation since Conroe, but what boils down to Intel is the competition in which has not caught up yet despite rituals and curses done. The truth is, this is just another cash cow and an excuse that they could not progress much further.

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Me neither, I am sticking to 1366 until AVX is actually used.
    Yeah, I don't see a reason either to upgrade as soon as it comes out.

Xtreme Addict
    True that, but take into perspective that it looks bad because Nehalem was workstation first, consumer later. And the dual core Arrandales had a hampered memory controller whilst P55 didn't have x16/x16; so 1366 was still a viable choice in 2009/10.

Sandy Bridge already had such strong consumer parts with little compromise, that's the thing.
    The workstation part isn't really workstation grade, more like catered to the upper server segment where more cache and bandwidth for multi-socket systems would be useful.

Keep in mind too that this starts from a higher pricing level too when basically most of the 1366 platforms were 920/30/50/60 at <$350. Now you pay that price, and still no hexacore.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why not get Evga SR-2 and two X5690 Xeon's for rendering and simulation?
    Would beat any i7 2600k and i7 990X machine easelly and simulation time would be cut to allmost half.

Its true that it is bit expensive platform but you're industry needs that kind of power, like you self said you can add eather more effects or cut time.
    Last edited by rintamarotta; 07-25-2011 at 06:17 AM.

::: Desktop's - Intel *** Intel 2
    2 x Xeon E5-2687W *** Intel i7 3930k
    EVGA SR-X *** Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 x4 960Gb *** 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb
    Avermedia LiveGamer HD capture card
    Caselabs TX10-D
    14 x 4 TB WD RE4 in RAID10+2Spare
    4 x Corsair AX1200

::: Basement DataCenter :::
    [*] Fibreoptic connection from operators core network
    [*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] Additional SAN machines with FusionIO ioDrive Octal's (4 total Octals).
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

Xtreme Member
    Time/money wise, it's good to have a good fast workstation, not extraordinarily expensive (atm a 6 core Westmere or 1 SB-E or 1 BD 8 core), maybe 1600-1700 USD investment, with 24-32 GB ram and than get 3-4 SB quads (2600k) systems, cheap, no gpu (600 USD each) etc.., just for slaving away at renders. with 12 GB ram, since for rendering you need less memory than simulating. This way instead of investing 5-6 k in 2 ultra high Xeons + SR-2 etc.., you get a more even investment but when you look at USD/CPU core, than your actually getting quite a bit more out of your money.
    My studio where i work goes for 950 or 960 with 12 GB of ram for workstations, the same speed as older dual quad (penryn or conroe) but much more efficient with high ram situations (FSB was a big bottleneck) and then 1-2 machines are dual nehalems or dual westmere for heavy duty purposes, somewhat of an average of my ideal solution.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post
    Some solid discussion and some good insight going on here, yew
    +1...this thread is why my no-nothing-ass comes 'round here...was waiting for next intel platform before buying new comps to go 24/7/365 WCG, but looks like 2600K's are/will be best bang for the (WCG) buck in the near term...

(at least til 9/19)

Last edited by SMTB1963; 07-26-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Admin
    Thread lightly cleaned. Again, linking to sites/posts of banned members is not allowed here....when someone is removed from XS, they no longer have a voice on XS.

Xtreme Cruncher
    The most interesting CPU I think will be the K version of the SB-E (3960K I think it was.) Unlocked multi, 6c 12t and supposedly in the $600 range. What desktop applications (things we care about will benefit from the 15mb of cache in the 3960x vs the 12mb in the K version?
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123