Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on radiators for my first water cooling system

PwrdByKyank

Need some advice on radiators for my first water cooling system

Hi guys, its my first water cooling system im building, i want to buy 2 tripple radiators, but i read some places some people mentioned they get some build up or gunk in their tubing or stuff like that. So what would be my best choice in radiators to avoid that, theres so many kinds, i want something really good. Also something i dont need to pre clean or flush or whatever because i really dont know how to do that stuff lol. Thanks

SLC
    You should do a pre-clean regardless of the radiator you end up buying. With that said, you will most likely be OK with a simple rinse.

Xtreme Addict
    ...and the answer for price/performance is nearly always Swiftech QP rads.
    Components
    Case: Cooler Master ATCS840/ PSU: Seasonic X750/
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-z68xp-ud4/ CPU: i5 2500k 4.2-4.8 GHz @ auto/
    VGA: EVGA GTX570 SC 940, 1880, 4500 @ 1.1v (Lucid dGPU)/ Memory: 8 Gb G.Skill DDR3 1866
    Storage: Corsair Force 3 120Gb SSD, Samsung 470 128Gb SSD, WD Scorpio Black 750 (Scythe Quiet Drive)
    OSs: Win7 HP x86_64/ Kubuntu 11.04 x86_64
    Cooling
    CPU: Koolance CPU-370/ GPU: Koolance VID-NX580/ Rads: XSPC RX360, Swiftech MCR-220QP/ Pump: EK-DCP 2.2 (softmount)
    Fans: 3x Noiseblocker m12-S1 @~500-750rpm, 3x Scythe GT 800 @~450-800RPM, Cooler Master 230mm (softmount) @300 RPM
    Tubing: 3/8" x 5/8" Primochill LRT (black)
    Fittings: Koolance compressions and 45/90 degree fittings

Certified Quiet PC Loony

PwrdByKyank
    ok, so how would i clean it though? under a sink water? also do i need to take it apart every couple months and clean it again? also i see the swiftech ones are pretty cheap, ive seen some radiators around 150-200$, would those be better because they cost more? also whats the difference between the copper and non copper ones (just the heat disapation?) thanks guys i really appreciate it
    Last edited by PwrdByKyank; 07-18-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Pwrd, here is links you might want to have. There is one on how to build and other good ones.

You just have a lot to read and learn before you buy one itty-bitty part.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...96&postcount=3
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

PwrdByKyank
    thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Oh, and the answer to your prep questions is "rad dance"
    Components
    Case: Cooler Master ATCS840/ PSU: Seasonic X750/
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-z68xp-ud4/ CPU: i5 2500k 4.2-4.8 GHz @ auto/
    VGA: EVGA GTX570 SC 940, 1880, 4500 @ 1.1v (Lucid dGPU)/ Memory: 8 Gb G.Skill DDR3 1866
    Storage: Corsair Force 3 120Gb SSD, Samsung 470 128Gb SSD, WD Scorpio Black 750 (Scythe Quiet Drive)
    OSs: Win7 HP x86_64/ Kubuntu 11.04 x86_64
    Cooling
    CPU: Koolance CPU-370/ GPU: Koolance VID-NX580/ Rads: XSPC RX360, Swiftech MCR-220QP/ Pump: EK-DCP 2.2 (softmount)
    Fans: 3x Noiseblocker m12-S1 @~500-750rpm, 3x Scythe GT 800 @~450-800RPM, Cooler Master 230mm (softmount) @300 RPM
    Tubing: 3/8" x 5/8" Primochill LRT (black)
    Fittings: Koolance compressions and 45/90 degree fittings

Certified Quiet PC Loony

PwrdByKyank
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorpoet View Post
    Oh, and the answer to your prep questions is "rad dance"
    rad dance? please specify

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdByKyank View Post
    ok, so how would i clean it though? under a sink water? also do i need to take it apart every couple months and clean it again? also i see the swiftech ones are pretty cheap, ive seen some radiators around 150-200$, would those be better because they cost more? also whats the difference between the copper and non copper ones (just the heat disapation?) thanks guys i really appreciate it
    The $150 radiators look better, and MAY perform better with noisy high speed fans, but would perform almost exactly the same as a $50 radiator on slow fans and 'average' heat load.

As for cleaning, one pretty innovative way to do it is get a water filter that you can get in most home plumbing supply stores, connect it to a make shift loop and let it run.
    I haven't tried this myself yet, but some say it's pretty good for cleaning out rads, and it's not too expensive if you find the right filter.

hi everybody, need your advice

I have
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcqupo3xbl.html

and how much performance gain I can get with this one
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcexperase2.html

and also with shrouds
    like this
    http://www.amazon.com/3x120mm-Radiat...1168214&sr=1-1
    can it fit Swiftech radiators?

or maby you can suggest any other radiator and shroud?
    I don't care about noise
    the only thing I care is temperature

my 2600K goes 80°C (176 °F) at 5.2 ghz
    on air

on H2O

Xtreme Member
    If you're cooling the CPU only, I doubt you'd get even a 1*C difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jumper2high View Post
    If you're cooling the CPU only, I doubt you'd get even a 1*C difference.
    that's bad

thanks for the answer
    on air

on H2O

I am Xtreme
    That thing from Koolance is not a shroud, it's a riser that buys you extra room inside the top of your case. . .the rad and fans fit inside it.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

PwrdByKyank
    ok guys ive been reading and reading and i get more lost into this stuff makes me think twice about doing it lol. I have a 6 core i7 3.33ghz cpu, gtx590 femi (hydro one) vga. If i were to get the swiftech quad radiator (2 of them) would that be enough to cool this sucker? Right now i have a thermaltake level 10 case and it collects to much dust on it so i am custom building the computer into my desk instead so ya. Also i read something about staying away from mixing metals in a water cooling system, so if i were to get that swiftech rad, would i be ok with it without worrying about it corroding or causing crap in my tubes? i wish i knew someone in my area who knew this stuff to help me put it together! lol

Xtreme Member
    A single 'quad' radiator (4x120) would give you decent temperatures. Two of them would be more than enough.

PwrdByKyank
    Thanks jumper2high

PwrdByKyank
    does anyone know where i can get these type of long heatsink or radiators if they are that, i would love to mount some on the case. http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/24/dsc02999kz8.jpg

Xtreme Member
    I think they're called "passive radiators".

Here's one:
    http://www.aquatuning.de/product_inf...le-silver.html

PwrdByKyank
    thanks, at least now i know what its called but doesnt seem like anyone in USA sells it

I am Xtreme
    thanks, at least now i know what its called but doesnt seem like anyone in USA sells it
    Oh, there's a store that sells them but, for a heat load like that, you'll need at least 20 to run passive. I tried to run a 531 Preshott at stock speed and set the BIOS thermal warning off @ 65°C just watching Youtube videos. Another thing, they're made out of aluminum which would mean a mixed metal loop and require at least a 33% glycol (which will hurt your temps even further) mix to slow the eventual corrosion. Save yourself the trouble and put the idea out of your mind.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

PwrdByKyank
    Hey, thanks for the heads up, but only reason i want them is for asthetic reasons (looks) i dont really want to incorporate them into the loop, just want to put a few on the side of the custom desk/case im making what store would i be able to find them?

Xtreme Member
    Aquatuning has a US division and they sell it
    http://www.aquatuning.us/product_inf...le-silver.html

PwrdByKyank
    oh ok kool thanks for all the help guys without this help i dunno how id do this lol. I hope if i have any other questions it wont be to much of a burden on you guys to help me

I am Xtreme
    Hey, thanks for the heads up, but only reason i want them is for asthetic reasons (looks) i dont really want to incorporate them into the loop, just want to put a few on the side of the custom desk/case im making what store would i be able to find them?
    If they are for appearance only then I guess it wouldn't hurt to tell you. Perf-PCs has them under "heat exchangers".

I have issues with that other store, click on the links in my sig (right one first) if you'd like to know more about the retailer you'd be doing business with.
    Circles SucQ!

PwrdByKyank
    oh ok thanks, lol i was too in a rush and ordered them from that other site already before i saw your post. Hopefully they come with no headace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.