Thread: International shipping?

Xtreme Member

International shipping?

I couldn't find anywhere that seemed obviously appropriate for this thread, so I just choose here. Mod's feel free to move if this isn't okay.

I'm just wondering if I could get some input on international shipping from those who have done it. Which carriers are cheapest? Are non big name brands reliable, i.e. not UPS/FedEx/USPS?

I'm considering selling my two DCUII 580's to some one in Uruguay and just want to make sure it's something I'm willing to go through before committing. Are there any special steps I have to go through, besides the outrageous shipping price, other than just packaging the box and paying and leaving it at the appropriate shipping center?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

I am Xtreme
    i use usps only...but i haven't tried shipping a big box...big boxes costs alot.

i sent to brazil, and many parts of europe lol

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    i use usps only...but i haven't tried shipping a big box...big boxes costs alot.

i sent to brazil, and many parts of europe lol
    I'm trying to get an estimate from them now, but their site is damn confusing.

I wonder if I can just put the cards in anti static bags and wrap in lots of bubble wrap and then fold down the manuf. boxes to save space...then again I think I'd like them to stay safer for such a long travel. It's up to the buyer I guess, he's paying shipping.

When you say you haven't tried shipping a big box, what do you consider big? What size box do you normally ship international?

Wow, I'm getting a $65 quote from USPS for Priority and I got a $400 quote from UPS...how is that even possible?
    Last edited by fl0w3n; 07-17-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I ship international all the time, partly selling on here, and every day at my job.

We rely on regular post and rarely are there any issues. There is an odd misunderstanding that most people have and that is that the post in countries is really bad. But it is not - for the most part, it is good. For example, you might think Russia would have a bad postal system, but theirs is excellent, though can be a bit tardy. France, conversely, has problems with mail theft and lazy postmen. Johannesburg... well good luck sending anything there and having it arrive at your intended address. Italy has some crazy customs and stuff from abroad can take up to a month to clear.

Generally speaking, though, countries have good postal systems. Sending special courier like FedEx / DHL is great and all, but if you're looking for a more cost effective way, the local post is always a good bet. Just buy tracking, and insurance if you want it, and the local post will do what they can to help you in the unlikely event something bad will happen.

USPS is generally excellent to work with in my experience, as are Russian post. DHL local in Germany are hit and miss, but mostly good.

As to the pricing discrepancy - think bulk USPS probably rent space on planes where as UPS own their own planes. Big cost differential.

With graphics cards, my advice is to bubble wrap and double box (manu box inside cardboard box). They almost always survive the trip. I had a motherboard sent to me just in the manu box wrapped up in paper. That didn't work well, it was DOA and I never got a refund
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Member
    If this is your first time, i recommend calling the different providers USPS/UPS, or actually going to one of their locations..nothing is better than actually speaking with someone that can answer all your questions and concerns..

Dont want to mess up sending 2 580s..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CedricFP View Post
    I ship international all the time, partly selling on here, and every day at my job.

We rely on regular post and rarely are there any issues. There is an odd misunderstanding that most people have and that is that the post in countries is really bad. But it is not - for the most part, it is good. For example, you might think Russia would have a bad postal system, but theirs is excellent, though can be a bit tardy. France, conversely, has problems with mail theft and lazy postmen. Johannesburg... well good luck sending anything there and having it arrive at your intended address. Italy has some crazy customs and stuff from abroad can take up to a month to clear.

Generally speaking, though, countries have good postal systems. Sending special courier like FedEx / DHL is great and all, but if you're looking for a more cost effective way, the local post is always a good bet. Just buy tracking, and insurance if you want it, and the local post will do what they can to help you in the unlikely event something bad will happen.

USPS is generally excellent to work with in my experience, as are Russian post. DHL local in Germany are hit and miss, but mostly good.

As to the pricing discrepancy - think bulk USPS probably rent space on planes where as UPS own their own planes. Big cost differential.

With graphics cards, my advice is to bubble wrap and double box (manu box inside cardboard box). They almost always survive the trip. I had a motherboard sent to me just in the manu box wrapped up in paper. That didn't work well, it was DOA and I never got a refund
    Quote Originally Posted by CharMz View Post
    If this is your first time, i recommend calling the different providers USPS/UPS, or actually going to one of their locations..nothing is better than actually speaking with someone that can answer all your questions and concerns..

Dont want to mess up sending 2 580s..
    Thanks for the help guys. I will definitely be going in first to just talk to them to make sure I'm on the right track with pricing and everything. I spoke with another friend on a different forum who used to own a USPS shipping hub so he was able to answer a decent amount of questions.

Xtreme Addict
    I done a fair bit of international shipping (and receiving) so I'll relate my experiences.

UPS--forced to deal with them for some things. Very inefficient customer support and a very difficult time trying to get compensation from them in the event of package damage, regardless of insurance purchased. They are unable to hold a package for pickup, even when you call ahead of time to request it, unless a delivery attempt has been made. Even after this has occurred (which usually is irrelevant because they often leave packages at the address out in the open without obtaining signatures) it'll take 1-2 business days to process. Their customs clearance is easier and less obtrusive than Fedex's. Slightly cheaper than Fedex.

Fedex--the opposite to UPS. Excellent customer service and very easy to have a package held for pickup, even in advance of the delivery date. Downsides are a greater difficulty in clearing high value packages and prices that are quite high. I use Fedex primarily, especially for critical items I'd like to receive in one piece. They never leave packages without signatures.

USPS--generally pretty good, but tracking can be spotty and service times vary (likely due to inefficiencies of foreign post offices). Cheapest prices by far.
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Generally speaking, though, countries have good postal systems.
    USPS--generally pretty good, but tracking can be spotty
    My MIVE was imported from EUA and arrived in Brazil without any problems. Even a Lian Li PC V1110 arrived intact.

A curiosity i learned recently is that tracking number is an intenational code, so i can track on brazilian postal site an USPS shipping since the order was posted until my home

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by squawker View Post
    My MIVE was imported from EUA and arrived in Brazil without any problems. Even a Lian Li PC V1110 arrived intact.

A curiosity i learned recently is that tracking number is an intenational code, so i can track on brazilian postal site an USPS shipping since the order was posted until my home
    That's not always true. Not all country's postal services allow for the tracking of foreign inbound tracking. For example, Royal Mail with UK doesn't if it is just regular registered - only express.

DHL Germany change the tracking number on inbound sometimes, as do the post in Holland, making the tracking # you get useless unless you contact and find out the new tracking. That's a weird system.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Member
    UPS and USPS to Colombia.
    SAINT19

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.". Albert Einstein.
    Max overclock archived, 1090T @ 6.5GHz

Phenom II X6 1090T BE @ 3.8GHz and NB @ 3000MHz both with 1.325V on BIOS
    Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 Rev. 2.0 with F4 BIOS
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 8-8-8-21-1T
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning 2GB
    Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD + Hitachi 2x500GB HDD
    EK Supreme HF Full Nickel + MCP655-D5 + MCR320-QP

Xtreme Member
    USPS is the norm here in Brazil, anything else you will be raped
    How to be Xtreme with so little money ?

2600k@5ghz 16GB 1600 Gskill 8GBRLX GTX 480 SLi Corsair 1200w
    Lsi 9260-8i + 8 1tb Samsung HD103sj on RAID0 (yes im crazy and i have good airflow for those)

Parts, uhh ok to ship. But last time I shipped my own rig from the US to europe, uhh customs raped my rig. Dead mobo and fubar TT case that was opened with a friggen crowbar or something. And this was with USPS..... and I had insurance.... which I couldnt claim and had to rebuild this rig out of my own pocket.
    CPU: Phenom II X4 940
    HSF: Rocketfish POS
    Mobo: DFI/Sapphire Pure 790X
    RAM: Mushkin 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066@400mhz (5-5-5-18)
    HDD1: Velociraptor 150GB
    HDD2/3: WD Caviar Blue 250GB/Seagate Barracuda 160GB
    Optical: Pioneer 215D
    Video: Asus 6950 2GB
    Audio: X-Fi Fatality Professonal
    Misc: Logitech G15/G5/Razer Piranha
    Case/PSU: TT Dokker/TT Toughpower XT 775W
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster BX2235
    Drivers: Newest

Xtreme Addict
    Ouch that sounds like a terrible experience.
    -