Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alert - Anyone that is using the Koolance bleed kits take a look

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    I swap gear and change my system way to often to justify the cost.
    You can reuse our coolant by emptying into a clean container. As long as it isn't cloudy or has changed color, it's perfectly fine to reuse.

Tim

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Why?
    As OC said, just looked like the way things were going with other threads popping up, seemed only fair for the trolls to rabble gabble fairly.

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for Pitchforkers arriving in this thread.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

I guess you are not a fan of PT-Nuke even though it's been used for years with no issues, except for EK.
    I have nothing against pt-nuke and I don't believe it caused any problems with ek's acrylic. I'm pretty sure there are two versions of pt-nuke and the latest one doesn't contain copper sulfate. The blue version is copper sulfate.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah I have the other one that has no copper. I never use it though. Just been using my almost pure water from my reverse osmosis setup and never had any problems with anything for a few years now. Damn time travels fast don't it?

Banned
    Tim,

I (any many others) do not use distilled water because it performs a degree or two better than a premix coolant. We use it because it is convenient; it's cheap, it's easy to use, and most of all it does not gunk up blocks as much as a glycol based coolant. I have used countless glycol based coolants, and yes, they have all caused gunk in my block.

Xtreme Mentor
    I checked my PT-Nuke and it's the clear version, so based on what has been stated here that is most likely not the issue.

@Tim, if I create an RMA for the tube, will they determine what the gunk is or just send it back to Asia?
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Ω
    Maybe a better topic name would have been "Help! Does anybody know what this stuff is?" instead of making it sound like it's the bleed kits fault. Kind of looks a little like the stuff the Sparky had in his loop that coated his res.
    I agree 100%. Especially after Koolance offered these kits for free because of a "difficulty" in bleeding the reservoirs. Not because there was a design flaw but rather just to solve an inconvenience to it's customers.

My question is, if you took apart your loop and there was no signs of it anywhere else in the loop, whats the problem? I think after the whole EK debacle everyone is too damned paranoid that they are point fingers at any given chance. People need to seriously put the pitchforks away and chill the F out.
    Last edited by ohms; 07-20-2011 at 12:45 AM.
    Ω Raven Build Blog

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
    " Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" - In times of war, the law falls silent.

Xtreme Mentor
    First, it doesn't matter if they were free or not and for what it's worth I paid for mine. I am not going to get into the part about how effective these are since I still had to use a T-line to bleed my system. But why would it matter if it was free or not, the fact is the pipe was clean when I put it in and now it has some sort of brown substance on it that formed after about three weeks of use. It could be that it just did not have time to spread to my other blocks. Like I already stated, if I had not taken a close look I would not have noticed it and therefore it could have been worse. The whole point of me putting "Alert" in the title is because so many people are using these and I thought this might be widespread. So far, I only know of one other case that this happened, but would you have been happier if I had not put "Alert" in the title and it had been widespread? I mean seriously people, there is obviously something going on here whether it is happening to just mine or several people. As far as people breaking out the "pitchforks", with all the recent issues with other vendors and the past history that Koolance had with their own fittings can you really blame people wanting to know if there is an issue? I love the fact that people are quick to say "Hey, it's not an issue since you caught it before it spread to the rest of the loop". Seriously? Because I found out there was an issue before the rest of my loop was infected it's not an issue? Should I have waited till the loop started to fall apart before saying something? I cannot believe I am being attacked for trying to warn people that there might be an issue with their loops. It's not like I am making this up or that I staged this. I found an issue, posted pics of the issue and have been attempting to figure out what the issue is and in the process give people that use the same product a heads up that they should take a look at theirs to see if they are having a similar issue. If you do not like the way I titled the thread, tough, get over it. Actually try to be helpful instead of worrying about whether a "Mob" is going to form. Even Tim stated at first glance it looks like corrosion and if I had used their liquid I wouldn't be having this issue. A "Mob" won't form if a manufacture helps solves the issue rather than sidestepping it, that's why EK got the bad rep, not because they had an issue, but rather how they handled it from the get go. So if you do not have anything constructive to add to the thread please just keep on moving.

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ohms View Post
    I agree 100%. Especially after Koolance offered these kits for free because of a "difficulty" in bleeding the reservoirs. Not because there was a design flaw but rather just to solve an inconvenience to it's customers.

My question is, if you took apart your loop and there was no signs of it anywhere else in the loop, whats the problem? I think after the whole EK debacle everyone is too damned paranoid that they are point fingers at any given chance. People need to seriously put the pitchforks away and chill the F out.
    yes, it's badly design res and that's why you get free bleeding kit

Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    As OC said, just looked like the way things were going with other threads popping up, seemed only fair for the trolls to rabble gabble fairly.

-PB
    Why?

Maybe a better topic name would have been "Help! Does anybody know what this stuff is?" instead of making it sound like it's the bleed kits fault. Kind of looks a little like the stuff the Sparky had in his loop that coated his res.
    So can the pitchforkers come out and hate on Koolance now like they did EK?

-PB
    for all mention above..stop being so anal about it and "chill the F out" !!
    how exactly are you contributing and helping OP ??
    someone mention trolls ?...

First, it doesn't matter if they were free or not and for what it's worth I paid for mine. I am not going to get into the part about how effective these are since I still had to use a T-line to bleed my system. But why would it matter if it was free or not, the fact is the pipe was clean when I put it in and now it has some sort of brown substance on it that formed after about three weeks of use. It could be that it just did not have time to spread to my other blocks. Like I already stated, if I had not taken a close look I would not have noticed it and therefore it could have been worse. The whole point of me putting "Alert" in the title is because so many people are using these and I thought this might be widespread. So far, I only know of one other case that this happened, but would you have been happier if I had not put "Alert" in the title and it had been widespread? I mean seriously people, there is obviously something going on here whether it is happening to just mine or several people. As far as people breaking out the "pitchforks", with all the recent issues with other vendors and the past history that Koolance had with their own fittings can you really blame people wanting to know if there is an issue? I love the fact that people are quick to say "Hey, it's not an issue since you caught it before it spread to the rest of the loop". Seriously? Because I found out there was an issue before the rest of my loop was infected it's not an issue? Should I have waited till the loop started to fall apart before saying something? I cannot believe I am being attacked for trying to warn people that there might be an issue with their loops. It's not like I am making this up or that I staged this. I found an issue, posted pics of the issue and have been attempting to figure out what the issue is and in the process give people that use the same product a heads up that they should take a look at theirs to see if they are having a similar issue. If you do not like the way I titled the thread, tough, get over it. Actually try to be helpful instead of worrying about whether a "Mob" is going to form. Even Tim stated at first glance it looks like corrosion and if I had used their liquid I wouldn't be having this issue. A "Mob" won't form if a manufacture helps solves the issue rather than sidestepping it, that's why EK got the bad rep, not because they had an issue, but rather how they handled it from the get go. So if you do not have anything constructive to add to the thread please just keep on moving.
    thanks Utnorris for making us aware of the situation ,don't care what's in the title of your thread is as long as you make your point across

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluke41 View Post
    for all mention above..stop being so anal about it and "chill the F out" !!
    how exactly are you contributing and helping OP ??
    someone mention trolls ?...
    Guess you only read the first part of that post?

May I suggest the next time you feel like throwing out the "T" word, you look in the mirror first.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

I am Xtreme
    @Tim, if I create an RMA for the tube, will they determine what the gunk is or just send it back to Asia?
    It'd be best if you submitted an RMA so we can see what's going on.

Even Tim stated at first glance it looks like corrosion
    I said that or additives in the coolant being used. We'll have to take a look when it gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    Tim,

I (any many others) do not use distilled water because it performs a degree or two better than a premix coolant. We use it because it is convenient; it's cheap, it's easy to use, and most of all it does not gunk up blocks as much as a glycol based coolant. I have used countless glycol based coolants, and yes, they have all caused gunk in my block.
    Naturally, convenience can come with other costs. You didn't mention that you've used our coolant before-- not all glycol coolants gunk up blocks. That's not a complaint I've heard with our liquid, and I've seen it several times with other brands.

The fact there are terrible premixes on the market is a problem. Some of the companies which sell coolants don't provide a wide variety of other cooling components. This is just my opinion, but when things go wrong, they're probably less likely to get customer feedback (or have motivation to change things) than companies which make the water block, reservoir, rad, fittings, or whatever was involved.

Tim

Xtreme Addict
    If ppl what to blast coolants then i suggest a new topic about the problems with coolants.

As suggested by Tim coolants are there for ease of use and there are by far more people that use coolants that many of you understand. Not every one uses just distilled, Di or ever ultra pure. More people use Pre-Mixed coolants.

All so the fact that just because 1 person has a problem doesn't mean the whole world is falling down around there ears and every maker of any type of water cooling equipment is bad. Guys water cooling is like alchemy and things do go wrong some times.

As for coolant brake down and dye for that matter are incorrect and made of assumptions not facts. I have NEVER seen a single proven fact about brake down and i have NEVER seen real analytical data proving peoples points ....

A lot of the time its either Mass build up of plastic that is then coloured by the dye or some thing else causing it.

When people start putting there money were there mouths are and actually getting the liquids tested properly then and maybe then facts can be proven.

No need to so call troll and no need to slag off a company for the odd mistake or mishap.
    Mayhems Lastest News -> https://www.facebook.com/Mayhems2009

If you need to direct contact me its michael at mayhems dot co dot uk.

Xtreme Mentor
    First, I don't think anyone was "slagging" off a company, well, maybe EK, but more that just because I put "Alert" into the title I have gotten just as much help with naming convention as I have with the actual issue. How about this, if you have no idea what it is do not comment, work for everyone?

@Tim -I wasn't trying to say that you thought it was corrossion, just this "or corrosion from the bleed pipe itself (unlikely if there's no permanent change in color within the pipe)." I will set up the RMA as soon as I get a chance.

Desk Build

W/C System

Banned
    Guess you only read the first part of that post?

May I suggest the next time you feel like throwing out the "T" word, you look in the mirror first.
    tell this to the one below

-PB
    there is absolutely no reason for this comment
    Last edited by coolhandluke41; 07-20-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    If that was the benzalkonium chloride version of PT-nuke, then it could have been a resistant algae. I'm finding a lot of sources say it's not 100% effective, or at low molar concentrations it's not enough to help.

I'm looking around at other compounds to use as biocide. My wife's system, however, has nothing at all in it but distilled and is 100% pristine. Her copper block is stained black with selenium dioxide though, I wonder if that's an answer? It could also be the lack of natural lighting in her case coupled with a UV cathode. She has mesh sides, no acrylic window and a FrozenQ res. There's really practically no outside light in it. Whatever it is, I'll be guinea pigging some compounds when I get my system back up.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluke41 View Post
    tell this to the one below

there is absolutely no reason for this comment
    Wow, for an regular users of people on an internet forum people are far too quick to jump up and down over things.

It was a comment, based on the observation that three or so Koolance related threads popped up all at once.

It was nothing more, if anything it was aimed at people like you (due to performance during the EK saga, thus of all people you have no crediability to comment).

Nowhere did I imply that we should rush to flame Koolance.

On topic; thank you mlwood for your input on coolants, has changed my opinion on certain aspects greatly.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Banned
    Tim,

You are correct; I have never tried your coolant. It would be dumb to make any further comments about it. The point I was trying to make was that I have never had a glycol coolant not cause problems. That does not mean yours causes problems. Just means that I grow tired of trying.

Xtreme Mentor
    Ok, so I finally got a few minutes away from the kids and wife. RMA created. Tim, I hope you can tell me what it is. You should have it in a few days.

Desk Build

W/C System

Sandoval

Pt nuke

Utnorris - I've had similar rust looking residue and I'm using the non copper pt nuke. I first noticed it when I took down my system to install new gpu blocks and the dual koolance reservoir. I saw it on my CPU block. I'm currently redoing my loop and going back to pure distilled, I figure I have enough BP true silver fittings that it should be good enough as a biocide

i7 980x | corsair dominator 6x4 Gb | TJ07
    SLI GTX 580x2 | GT430 | rampage 3 | corsair AX1200
    LSI 9265 | OCZ vertex 128x4 raid0 | corsair c300 | hitachi 3tbx3 |
    blocks: cpu hk 3.0 | gpu aquacomputer 580x2 | mb ek re3 fc | ram bitspower galaxy
    pump: laing d5 x2 | res: koolance 452x2
    rad: TC 120.3 120.2 | scythe GTx5
    NASs: qnap 879 8x3tb | thecus N5200 2tbx5

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jikdoc View Post
    Utnorris - I've had similar rust looking residue and I'm using the non copper pt nuke. I first noticed it when I took down my system to install new gpu blocks and the dual koolance reservoir. I saw it on my CPU block. I'm currently redoing my loop and going back to pure distilled, I figure I have enough BP true silver fittings that it should be good enough as a biocide
    Don't make that mistake; the fittings are not enough. You need a fine piece of silver like a kill Koil.

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Which PT Nuke are we talking about here? The clear one or blue one? I've been using the clear one with copper blocks without issue.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i have one and it's plated copper / brass

all i can say is. people still haven't learnt that you need to be running anti corrosion in the water.

no sympathy from me

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    i have one and it's plated copper / brass

all i can say is. people still haven't learnt that you need to be running anti corrosion in the water.

no sympathy from me
    Touche. I would not either let car run on distilled only
    Cmndt. Eric Lassard: What is the most frustrating thing about police work?
    Tackleberry: Not being able to carry hand grenades, sir.

Xtreme Mentor
    Well I ahve been doing water cooling for about 6 years and I have only had corrosion issues once before and that was with the infamous Koolance fittings that would rust. I typically run either distilled and some anti-algae drops from the pet store or distilled with PT-Nuke (clear) and until now did not have any issues with anything forming in my loop. I didn't pull the CPU block, but it appeared to be confined to just the pipe from the bleed kit. I do not see the need for anti-corrosive additives when you are not mixing metals. Lastly, not looking for sympathy, I am a big boy and know the risks. Since this kit is very popular I was trying to get people to look and make sure they did not have a similar issue. I would not have noticed it had I not taken a good look at my res.

Desk Build

W/C System

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast