Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have You Ever Had Your Rig Stolen?

Xtreme Member

Have You Ever Had Your Rig Stolen?

I'm Just Wondering How Many Other People Have Had Their Rig Stolen....?
    My Younger Brother Hangs Around Some Shady Characters,
    I Came Home One Day About 2 Weeks Ago, One Of The Kids Was At The House,
    And He Says To Me "I Bet You Have An Expensive Computer?"
    Then I Few Days Later I Go To A Baseball Game For The 4th Of July,
    And When I Get Back My Rig Is Missing, Screen Keyboard And Mouse Still There,
    But The Tower Gone, My Brother Claims He Doesn't Know Where It Is (Though I Doubt That)
    And I Haven't Seen Any Of His Friends Show Up At The House Since,
    It Seems The Rig Is Gone And I Will Most Likely Never See It Again...
    What Is The Best Thing To Do In This Situation?
    I Know The Kids Name Who Said "I Bet You Have An Expensive Computer?"
    But Would Filing A Police Report Even Help In This Matter?
    DJ Falcone 2x Technics SL1200 MK5, Behringer DJX750 Mixer, Alienware m17 laptop.

I am Xtreme
    I guess you can't beat up your kid...coz of laws... lmao

I'd beat him up not blinking...

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    It could. Each report with them adds evidence to whatever case can exist. If for nothing else than justice.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Member
    I Could Give Serial Numbers / Copy's Of The Receipts To The Police,
    But They Will Most Likely Throw The Paperwork Into a File Never To Be Seen Again.....
    DJ Falcone 2x Technics SL1200 MK5, Behringer DJX750 Mixer, Alienware m17 laptop.

File it anyway. And let them know about that little tidbit of info about the kid. Who knows, maybe he has a bit of a record going on. Even if it doesn't end up in the return of your PC, if it results in the capture of the guilty party it would still be worth it to stop him from stealing other stuff.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I have had my rig stolen, and on other occasions have had other prized possessions stolen. Here is the good news: you will learn to become more cautious when little $hit heads are eye balling your stuff. The bad news is: you have a slim chance in hell of getting your stuff back. You know who did it, however you can't prove a damn thing, and the cops are virtually useless!

The only chance you have is: finding your property, i.e. in a pawn shop, calling police, and have some proof that it belongs to you.

I'm truly sorry about this, I know how it burns you up inside. Good Luck
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Member
    I've been searching craigslist hoping to maybe find a picture of it (the kid isn't smart enough to list the components)
    so far no luck, I guess I might as well file a report, I'll be installing a deadbolt on my bedroom door. I guess my next rig will have to be bolted down!

I am Xtreme
    invite the kid again..install hidden cameras...

then you can beat whoever stole your hw

Copenhagen, teh capital village of the World. Hillerød, Malmö
    Tell the police about your rig, show them whatever evidence you may have - at the same time, if your younger brother mean anything to you, then try to get close to your brother and be his friend. Communication is the best way to build up a good relationship. Read books about it, watch documentaries, develop your own understanding and acceptance, also be more talkative and open. Let your own friends hang out with thim and invite him to events, and spend time with him. This way he might get to leave his current network, with those shady people, and develop himself a new one.

..well that was the best advice I could come up with, I wish you all well =/
    xoxo
    Sandi
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

file a report and home owners or renters insurance should cover it. if he is an actual kid then talking to his parents might help.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

and next time someone asks anything like that again, just reply calmy its the cheapest thing ever. a walmart brand would be an upgrade
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Devil kept pokin'
    Get the kids last names. Find their address, go to their house and explain to the parents the situation. Ask for there rooms to be searched. Police report after that.

Less responsible way is if your under 18 as I assume they are, round up their names, hunt them down and beat them till they talk and eventually you'll recover your stuff.

Xtreme Member
    he might have an FB account, try to serach for your bros friends on FB

according to surveys they start young & petty thefts but latter move on to a bigger crime, say stealing the Pentagon computers? better make a report rather than do nothing at all.

BTW i hope your personal info is not in that PC!

you still have a working rig left now or you completely cleaned out?
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

PI in the face
    Hey dude I have some extra gear laying around I'd be happy to give you shoot me a pm with your addy
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    file a report and home owners or renters insurance should cover it. if he is an actual kid then talking to his parents might help.
    I asked my parents they said our renters insurance doesn't cover stolen property

Quote Originally Posted by masterg View Post
    and next time someone asks anything like that again, just reply calmy its the cheapest thing ever. a walmart brand would be an upgrade
    well I Told the kid "I got most of the parts from my friend they were laying around his garage" I guess the flashy case made him want to steal it

Quote Originally Posted by duron View Post
    he might have an FB account, try to serach for your bros friends on FB
    according to surveys they start young & petty thefts but latter move on to a bigger crime, say stealing the Pentagon computers? better make a report rather than do nothing at all.
    BTW i hope your personal info is not in that PC!
    I Know The Kids Name, I looked his FB up the other day, although at this point I cant really prove anything based on a hunch because he asked a strange question. no personal info on the PC just 800gb worth of games movies and music :/

Quote Originally Posted by masterg View Post
    you still have a working rig left now or you completely cleaned out?
    got my old Alienware M17 Laptop, P8400 And 3870s in X-fire, it works for now, although I think my moms pissed she can't use it anymore lol

Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    Hey dude I have some extra gear laying around I'd be happy to give you shoot me a pm with your addy
    thanks for the offer man, but I should have enough for a new rig in about a month!

Xtreme Addict
    I know a good way to keep this from happening again. They sell cages that you bolt into the floor that you slide your rig into. And the front has a latch where you can put a padlock. You'd have to be pretty freakin determined to steal a computer from one of those. I was talking to a gamer once who lived in a bad area, and he had one of those. He said it was worth every penny.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 07-17-2011 at 12:26 AM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Attack Dachshund
    Build another one, flashy case and all.. Install a motion/game trail camera so it just catches the case. then brag about your new badass machine to your brother and all his friends. Then when it goes missing, take the pictures of the thief to the cops. Probably about the best chance you have of catching him, unless he's dumb enough to have used his real ID at a pawn shop. SO, definitely call all the pawn shops in your area first. There's tons of stolen merchandised fenced in pawn shops, because the quick dumb thief is usually a drug addict just looking for some quick drug money. and the pawn shop is their atm machine.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Give your brother a pasting

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Cause your little brother enough pain to get the truth (just don't leave any marks).

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    I know a good way to keep this from happening again. They sell cages that you bolt into the floor that you slide your rig into. And the front has a latch where you can put a padlock. You'd have to be pretty freakin determined to steal a computer from one of those. I was talking to a gamer once who lived in a bad area, and he had one of those. He said it was worth every penny.
    yep thats the best way,hell sometimes they will just open the case and steal the ram and GPU and HD's,meth dealers always need new ram and gpu's

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    this seems like a pretty darn good idea but whats to stop jealous types from dumping a bunch of water onto the PSU and Motherboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Cause your little brother enough pain to get the truth (just don't leave any marks).
    actually we have already gotten in an all out fist fight over it LOL
    being a broke college student I still live with my parents, any more fighting will result in cops
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB12 View Post
    Build another one, flashy case and all.. Install a motion/game trail camera so it just catches the case. then brag about your new badass machine to your brother and all his friends. Then when it goes missing, take the pictures of the thief to the cops. Probably about the best chance you have of catching him, unless he's dumb enough to have used his real ID at a pawn shop. SO, definitely call all the pawn shops in your area first. There's tons of stolen merchandised fenced in pawn shops, because the quick dumb thief is usually a drug addict just looking for some quick drug money. and the pawn shop is their atm machine.
    I'll have to consider the camera idea, plus the bragging part sounds fun and yea most of my bros friends take pills, smoke alot of weed and are always drinking fourlokos, it could definitely be at a pawn show/ sold by now, there are 2 pawn shops in my area Im gonna phone up see if they might have it

Quote Originally Posted by halofanman View Post
    actually we have already gotten in an all out fist fight over it LOL
    being a broke college student I still live with my parents, any more fighting will result in cops
    Ya don't have to go directly at it, catch him sleeping and strap his ass down... then you've got plenty of time to work. Just don't leave any marks.

Quote Originally Posted by halofanman View Post
    I'll have to consider the camera idea, plus the bragging part sounds fun and yea most of my bros friends take pills, smoke alot of weed and are always drinking fourlokos, it could definitely be at a pawn show/ sold by now, there are 2 pawn shops in my area Im gonna phone up see if they might have it
    u have to hold used goods for 90 days that are over $50 so its not sold, and u wont get anything from calling them u need a police report and serial numbers.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Dave's Mentor!
    if my brother did that i woulda beat him good

then trashed his room
    then go find his freinds

maximus IV extreme gtx580
    gigabut p67-ud7
    p67 sabertooth
    2500k+2600k
    antec 1200watt
    EVGA classified 760
    920 Batch# 3849B018 4.985ghz@1.52v gtx285 ftw sli
    OCZ3RPR1866LV6GK hypers