Thread: Half Life 2 Movie

Xtreme Enthusiast

Half Life 2 Movie

Just a HL2 Fan Film but ya, what other game inspires fans to make their own film?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...ie/#more-66091

I am Xtreme
    Not the first one, either.
    A couple more: Beyond Black Mesa, Escape From City 17 - Part One.
    Some of these guys need to get together, perhaps find a sponsor and make something at least 40 mins long.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here's a teaser of another coming out this year that could be good. Freeman's Days - Day One

I seem to recall another I'd seen that was pretty good, but can't find it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Maybe game makers should hire some of these folks to make cut scenes with real humans! I personally hate cut scenes when overused (cough, BC2,cough,cough) but would not mind real humans/actors doing them like the film shorts do. Games already use voice actors so now HL2 has it's own crop of potential talent pool. Thought it would be a first but then remembered some game with a couple of Hollywood hotties in it Red something?

Quote Originally Posted by PaganII View Post
    Maybe game makers should hire some of these folks to make cut scenes with real humans! I personally hate cut scenes when overused (cough, BC2,cough,cough) but would not mind real humans/actors doing them like the film shorts do. Games already use voice actors so now HL2 has it's own crop of potential talent pool. Thought it would be a first but then remembered some game with a couple of Hollywood hotties in it Red something?
    Im not BC2s biggest single player fan, I just play it for the multiplayer since battlefield has always been about massive multiplayer battles. But umm, I actually found the single player campaign in bad company 2 pretty entertaining and movie like. The acting was not bad at all, it had humour and the grunts acted like typical grunts, anyone thought that hippie chopper pilot was funny?. Games have been using cut scenes for ages, some do it the easy way with pre rendered graphics and others do it in real time 3d. And they add to the inmersion of the game

Btw as for Half Life. Wheres Episode 3? Its been years and still nothing.
    What I would really love to see valve give us is a new DX11 source engine with a remake of the original Half Life for pc. That would be awesome, imagine that game with todays tech
    Last edited by Poci; 08-10-2011 at 01:08 AM.
    CPU: Phenom II X4 940
    HSF: Rocketfish POS
    Mobo: DFI/Sapphire Pure 790X
    RAM: Mushkin 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066@400mhz (5-5-5-18)
    HDD1: Velociraptor 150GB
    HDD2/3: WD Caviar Blue 250GB/Seagate Barracuda 160GB
    Optical: Pioneer 215D
    Video: Asus 6950 2GB
    Audio: X-Fi Fatality Professonal
    Misc: Logitech G15/G5/Razer Piranha
    Case/PSU: TT Dokker/TT Toughpower XT 775W
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster BX2235
    Drivers: Newest

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well that's it. I paid for a game not a movie. Without the cutscenes BC2 was very short. I don't mind cutscenes if they are not the majority of the game ha ha.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Once again, great props, effects and settings to make for a realistic HL2 feel, but the weak script and acting somewhat detracted from the experience.

I am Xtreme
    I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I am Xtreme
    The script was kind of weak, indeed. And what's up with random crappy Russian inserts making no sense at all? Just because it's "cool"? That was so unnecessary.
    On another hand, I have no idea how they managed these environments with just $250. That's insane.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    The script was kind of weak, indeed. And what's up with random crappy Russian inserts making no sense at all? Just because it's "cool"? That was so unnecessary.
    On another hand, I have no idea how they managed these environments with just $250. That's insane.
    Yeah I forgot to mention the strange "I understand English but I'll speak in Russian thank you" bit. They should have screen tested it on a mock audience or two with dress rehearsals. I'm sure they'd have gotten less than stellar input on the acting quality and script. It goes from distrusting to mushy too quickly and is just over dramatized to the point of losing focus with the battles.

I understand fully they were budget restricted and obviously had to get a LOT of volunteer help with props, effects and acting, but if you can't pull off emotional scenes well you're better off limiting or omitting them.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Kinda like any impersonation, they overdo it to get the point across. The other film, not Part 1, kinda overdid the Hands thing.
    I hope they keep making the films.