Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 3:"No plans for BF3 mod tools"

Xtreme Addict

Arrow Battlefield 3:"No plans for BF3 mod tools"

This is kind of meh

Frostbite 3 engine is just too much

Battlefield fans that were hopeful that DICE would provide mod tools for its upcoming release of Battlefield 3 are going to be sad to learn that, at least for right now, it isn’t in the cards. In an interview with German site GameStar EA Europe, VP Patrick Solderlund claims that the Frostbite 3 engine would “present too much of a challenge for people.”

The complexity of the destructible environments makes things “tricky” at best for those without extensive experience. In the end, we believe that the situation might change; and while DICE is apparently open to the possibility in the future, currently it does not see people taking on the challenge of making mods for Battlefield 3.

Based on past experience, the mod community for Battlefield 3 has always been quite strong, and we suspect even if DICE does not supply the mod tools you will see modders bringing out mods for Battlefield 3. We do think, however, without DICE providing any tools it will take longer.

We will just have to see if enough Battlefield fans on the PC can get DICE to change its mind about the mod tools for the PC version of Battlefield 3.

Watch the German GameStar interview after the break.
    Source
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Member
    That reason is a load of rubbish. Frostbite would not be too difficult for people to learn to use. I can't believe he even said that because it's just so far from reality it's laughable.

I am Xtreme
    Yeah pretty much, its just an excuse to sell mods by themself. If a current generation engine is to hard to work with, they failed miserably. Also I doubt the NFS team has more experience with Frostbite then any other modder out there. Yet they can "mod" frostbite and build NFS:TR

Xtreme Addict
    We all know the real reason, they just want to sell more DLC...

all outta gum
    Most obvious explanation is the one about the DLCs, but they could also be genuinely concerned about low-quality community content. For games with all tools available like UT3 or CS:S there's a real flood of crap made by people who don't even wish to understand and learn how to make good custom content for given engine. Although Left4Dead and TF2 have gained more than they've lost because of public availability of tools, so it shouldn't be a big concern to DICE. Especially that they seem to be proud of how they support the community.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

I am Xtreme
    Why should crap mods be a concern for them?

If it is crap no one is going to dl and play it anyway. HL1/2 had a bazillion mods, but only very few gained fame and whre popular, hell even some of them where jumpboards for the modders to become professionals.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 07-06-2011 at 04:30 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    We all know the real reason, they just want to sell more DLC...
    Agreed.
    In the end, we believe that the situation might change; and while DICE is apparently open to the possibility in the future, currently it does not see people taking on the challenge of making mods for Battlefield 3.

We will just have to see if enough Battlefield fans on the PC can get DICE to change its mind about the mod tools for the PC version of Battlefield 3.
    It better change, then. Glad I haven't pre-ordered to give them enough confidence to pull off this kind of crap.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    LOL, so many lies from DICE.
    In the end we'll receive another console port.
    I don't trust them.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maño View Post
    LOL, so many lies from DICE.
    In the end we'll receive another console port.
    I don't trust them.

I agree, how may times has the PC community heard "The game engine is too complicated for the end user to use"..... Honestly WTF???? Most noticibly, it's too fukin hard for them to use also, look @ all the "stuck" on rocks/sticks/ect with BFBC2.....

I can smell the "port" coming.....
    X299X Aorus Master
    I9 10920x
    32gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-4000
    EVGA 2070 Super x2
    Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
    4 512gb Silicon Power NVME
    4 480 Adata SSD
    2 1tb HGST 7200rpm 2.5 drives
    X-Fi Titanium
    1200 watt Lepa
    Custom water-cooled View 51TG

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Foyle View Post
    Most obvious explanation is the one about the DLCs, but they could also be genuinely concerned about low-quality community content. For games with all tools available like UT3 or CS:S there's a real flood of crap made by people who don't even wish to understand and learn how to make good custom content for given engine. Although Left4Dead and TF2 have gained more than they've lost because of public availability of tools, so it shouldn't be a big concern to DICE. Especially that they seem to be proud of how they support the community.
    This x1000. I played a lot of UT2004 and a few of the maps made by the community were good, an even rarer few good for competitive play. However there was a whole ton of junk made and you were constantly cleaning things out. The UTcomp mod was great for competitive play, but a ton of others were junk. Not to mention that the flood of full game mods that came out split the community into various groups and factions and actually made it harder to get a unified community as each mod sucked more people into other directions.

Wanting to sell DLC and wanting to control quality aren't mutually exclusive items either.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Banned
    god please no, not another 'this is too complicated for you' console port, this is my last hope, after Crysis 2 i dont think i can take anymore, its been relentless, call of duty - console ops, mass x-box effect 2 and so on.

like most of you, i have a gaming rig sitting here worth hundreds of pounds, if not a £1000+ all to play what?

i swear im going to get a Gameboy and overclock it, and play pong all night.

Xtreme Member
    This is by no means new news, they said this on their blog a long time ago (no source just take my word for it). And it's a load of rubbish, if what they say is true, that it is too complicated then we will never see any kind of modding tools from them because it's only going to get even more complicated. If the engine is so complicated as they say then they failed.
    CPU:Core i7 920|RAM:3*2GB OCZ Gold|SSD + 2 HDD|GFX:GTX460 + 8800GT |Monitor:Asus VG236H |MB:Rampage II Gene|Case:Antec P182

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SubZero.it View Post
    I hope everyone finds this insulting. Modders have created some of the most important games in history, and they have mastered games with no modding tools, and they have been hired to make commercial games huge successes.

There is one reason BF3 won't have mod tools. Only one. EA cannot profit from mod tools.

I hope everyone understands this. It doesn't matter what DICE has said or done in the past. DICE is owned by EA now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by True Brit View Post
    god please no, not another 'this is too complicated for you' console port, this is my last hope, after Crysis 2 i dont think i can take anymore, its been relentless, call of duty - console ops, mass x-box effect 2 and so on.

like most of you, i have a gaming rig sitting here worth hundreds of pounds, if not a £1000+ all to play what?

i swear im going to get a Gameboy and overclock it, and play pong all night.
    The same games that companies design to run on computers that most people have which cost pennies

If they feel there is enough money to be made or it's worth their time to release modding tools I'm sure they will.

Blaming consoles here is rather silly. The PC gaming landscape isn't what it once was so things are going to change. Companies will adapt to make up for that and survive in it.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

I am Xtreme
    Wait a sec didn't they get their start by modding?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    In "theory", but all of those folks dont work for EA anymore I bet.....
    X299X Aorus Master
    I9 10920x
    32gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-4000
    EVGA 2070 Super x2
    Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
    4 512gb Silicon Power NVME
    4 480 Adata SSD
    2 1tb HGST 7200rpm 2.5 drives
    X-Fi Titanium
    1200 watt Lepa
    Custom water-cooled View 51TG

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    Blaming consoles here is rather silly. The PC gaming landscape isn't what it once was so things are going to change. Companies will adapt to make up for that and survive in it.
    The PC gaming landscape changed because the console landscape changed, and with that the industry in general.

Some developers found out a way to introduce genres that for years were unthinkable outside the K&M scheme and it ended up being a success (Overall quality or experience lost by using an inadequate peripheral aside), making the console market even more desirable.

Developing games went from a few millions to several millions dollars of cost, and the amount of users/gamers grew up noticeably with almost all of them on consoles and not the PC.
    The gaming industry became a very profitable market, and as such way too many games are made with that mindset.

About a third and sometimes less of the overall sales of multiplatform games are on the PC, so when you have the other two thirds of the sales coming from two almost identical platforms it's not hard to realize why putting more money and man hours to make the other version be more adequate to its standards is not really worth (Increased graphic capabilities and the possibility to customize them, decent mouse controls, or even revert gameplay element limitations based on the other platforms like map size and design, amount of weapons you can carry, and max players in MP modes).

When the owner of the biggest publisher in the industry has the personal opinion that games suck or are a waste of time (Good ol' Bobby), then you know things are not going the right way.

EDIT: A good example on why the console landscape changed massively and the industry focus with it? The PSN outage: Console gaming used to be about awesome single player or 2+ controllers multiplayer games on the same TV. Now PSN goes down for a month and people freak out saying they can't play anything and a few even sell their consoles because of that.
    PSN comes back and the most played game according to tracking statistics is CoD Blops.
    That's not how I remember the Playstation world...
    Last edited by Pontos; 07-06-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That's not really true.

Regardless of the existence of consoles are not, the PC landscape moved to lower power and less powerful devices, see laptops.

The development costs of games were strictly to do with better graphics, physics, art, what have you. Consoles being there don't have much of an effect on it at all other than giving them a chance to make money.

Even without consoles, desktop PC's that can be gaming are getting crushed by laptops, ultra thin nettops, and tablets.

Be thankful for consoles, because if it was "just desktops woot PC" no AAA games would be worth making at all.

If the powerful desktop PC was still a viable platform to most consumers, they wouldn't need consoles to make AAA titles worth it. But since laptops and other items have stabbed a steak through it's heart, that's where we are. We should be glad for consoles for preventing things from being worse.

the main reason for laptops to gain popularity was the lack of need to upgrade to play games or use rich media since those got hindered by consoles, and consoles took out the need to upgrade game engines so there is little need to upgrade pc componants now since the 3-4 year life span will see no change in requirements to play games. once this last gen of consoles came was the same time that portable devices and cheap desktops started to soar so i dont see how they could not be linked. the computer and internet has always been for games and :banana::banana::banana::banana: and people upgrade when they cannot do both.

on bf3, they said previously that they were keeping the vip style system so all pc players should have all map content, so i dont see why they would need to lock down the servers like with bc2, so i dont see why they would need to restrict modding since the only 2 viable reasons is 1) its a full on console port and they did not see that over 70% of active players at any time are on the pc and that over half of the activated vip codes were on the pc or 2) they need the server side drm.

edit- the only thing that this will hurt is making it so u cannot have competative play anymore, unless the game comes with client demos and proper round options (nothign ever did except source and old ut.) i also dont see how ea cannot see that without support from the pc community the game will not sell, if we dont get a good game then mw3 will destroy bf3 in sales since bf dose not have the name recognition for the consolers they have to be told what to buy (just like with cod4)
    Last edited by zanzabar; 07-06-2011 at 01:10 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    so shall we trash our gaming pc's now for consoles?!! because pc became too complicated lol!!
    Intel i7 2600k, Asus p8p67 EVO, Thermalright Archon, G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB, Asus EAH6970 DCII, Corsair AX850W, Asus xonar essence ST, Coolermaster HAF 932,
    Crucial C300 128GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB, Samsung F3 1TB.

The world needs your support.
    Join The XS WCG team and help cure Cancer, AIDS, and other diseases.

Assault their twitter page.....

http://twitter.com/#!/Battlefield
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

c[_]
    Looks like more 1942/BF2 in my future....

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ok, this sux, and is retarded and i understand the stupidity of this.....but can we stop with the, "we are gonna get a console port" statement, theres been numerous quotes from the development team stating that more focus is being set on the pc version of this game.

calm down, lets not turn a road bomb into a nuclear explosion. I agree with you all, but just because they are questionable about mod tools about this game doesnt mean we are gonna be shipped a console port, crap of a game.
    Last edited by Decami; 07-07-2011 at 12:54 AM.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Looks like more 1942/BF2 in my future....
    Really? If you are still playing 1942/BF2 i don't think the fact that BF3 is not going to have any Mod tools is going to impact you in anyway. Come on, its like you are saying that the vanilla BF3 game will be crap and only with a Mod it will be decent.

Other thing i noticed is that even though this is a BF3 thread none is mentioning the BF2 mods as a reason why BF3 needs Mod tools. Who cares about UT, CS, HL and TF2 mods, that's got nothing to do with their decision. BF2 has plenty of mods and some of them are really good and have extended the lifespan of the game. EA and DICE know this, that's why they released mod tools. Besides all those games you guys are brining up are from the previous generation, its a new world out there, wake up and smell the roses.

As far as the official statement regarding the complexity of the game engine is fair. DICE has made their own tool set for the engine and they don't have any resources to take those tools and make them into a simplified mod version. If the professional developers think that their invention, their tool/machine is going to be too complex for you to understand then that is their right of opinion. You have to remember physics in game is still a newbie. Plus with the PC getting FREE DLC from DICE they feel that the lack of Mod tools is going to be compensated by the new content DICE will be releasing. That's right FREE DLC, so there goes your reason for being able to sell us DLC.

People are here a bit too doom and gloom about everything. Its like you got the perfect delicious cake made just for you but the cook didn't give you the can of whipped crème so that you may modify it your self to the way you like. Seriously people its time to start appreciating the work that went into making you this beautiful cake. For once maybe we can sit down enjoy it and tell the cook well done.

Lastly for a forum called XtremeSystems a lot of its member's seem to be misunderstanding the tech industry. Please look at the graphic power of our phones, touchpads, netpads, laptops (AMD APU's FFS!!!). If you still believe that the industry is sliding downwords to lower power then you are just not getting it.

BF3 is going to be a great PC game. Thats all that matters.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    Really? If you are still playing 1942/BF2 i don't think the fact that BF3 is not going to have any Mod tools is going to impact you in anyway. Come on, its like you are saying that the vanilla BF3 game will be crap and only with a Mod it will be decent.
    Well, you said it yourself: "If you are still playing 1942/BF2..." Are you saying vanilla of them is not or was not decent and they are/were only good with mods?

Other thing i noticed is that even though this is a BF3 thread none is mentioning the BF2 mods as a reason why BF3 needs Mod tools. Who cares about UT, CS, HL and TF2 mods, that's got nothing to do with their decision. BF2 has plenty of mods and some of them are really good and have extended the lifespan of the game. EA and DICE know this, that's why they released mod tools. Besides all those games you guys are brining up are from the previous generation, its a new world out there, wake up and smell the roses.
    New pile, same s***. Also your denegration of other games and mods because they were "older" isnt winning you any points.

As far as the official statement regarding the complexity of the game engine is fair. DICE has made their own tool set for the engine and they don't have any resources to take those tools and make them into a simplified mod version. If the professional developers think that their invention, their tool/machine is going to be too complex for you to understand then that is their right of opinion. You have to remember physics in game is still a newbie. Plus with the PC getting FREE DLC from DICE they feel that the lack of Mod tools is going to be compensated by the new content DICE will be releasing. That's right FREE DLC, so there goes your reason for being able to sell us DLC.
    So all 3rd party/dev supplied tools previous to those created/in use for BF3 are of lesser quality and/or easy enough for preschoolers to use? Have you even ever tried BSP mapping?

People are here a bit too doom and gloom about everything. Its like you got the perfect delicious cake made just for you but the cook didn't give you the can of whipped crème so that you may modify it your self to the way you like. Seriously people its time to start appreciating the work that went into making you this beautiful cake. For once maybe we can sit down enjoy it and tell the cook well done.
    Except this is a game, not a cake. You can stick your finger in the cake and draw a smiley face... or your most hated developer getting poked with a ****.

Lastly for a forum called XtremeSystems a lot of its member's seem to be misunderstanding the tech industry. Please look at the graphic power of our phones, touchpads, netpads, laptops (AMD APU's FFS!!!). If you still believe that the industry is sliding downwords to lower power then you are just not getting it.
    The industry is settling to poorer standards.

BF3 is going to be a great PC game. Thats all that matters.
    Hope so. I recall someone who claimed to be a play tester for DNF telling me that it wasnt going to be a console port and i'd be pleasently surprised.

Guess what.

Duke has a terminal case of consolitis and most of the gaming industry is sporting a pretty good infection of it as well.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast