Thread: Parking light laws - WTF?!

Xtreme Cruncher

Parking light laws - WTF?!

So my mother just got a ticket today.

Apparently she violated this:
    24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.
    Wow, what the hell?!

Is it a moving violation?
    Last edited by lkiller123; 07-11-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post

Wow, what the hell?!

Seems the PD has no serious crimes to investigate or anything better to do. Simple goal here: revenue generation.

I'd like to hear how they consider this to be "serving and protecting."
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Police actually has quotes to fill per each crime Business as usual...

Xtreme Cruncher
    i wish to god that the police would enforce this overhere - it's annoying when some nob with HID's has them on in the daytime on full beam or worse when they're not even designed for the car they're being used in so the light pattern is all over the place.

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

c[_]

Wow, what the hell?!

You might want to check her vehicle as most "parking lamps" are attached to the headlight circuit these days which means its impossible to not turn them both on at the same time..

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5023979_pa...ghts-used.html
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-parking-lights.htm

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

where im at, i see alot of people just put their parking lights on as they drive especially in rain, when they dont need lights, cause they have to have some light on.
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtreme Addict
    she should have torn his badge right off his uniform, kicked in his head lights and said drive your car now homoner. That would have learned him. I love cops. My family is full of them!! Seriously. Nearly all my uncles and cousins. They ususally responde calmly to respect.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

of the Strawhat crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    she should have torn his badge right off his uniform, kicked in his head lights and said drive your car now homoner. That would have learned him. I love cops. My family is full of them!! Seriously. Nearly all my uncles and cousins. They ususally responde calmly to respect.
    I'm sure that works fine in Memphis.. but it's a different sort of place from the rest of the world.

As for the OP, that really sucks. Shouldn't they be busting drug dealers or something? -sigh-

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    I'm sure that works fine in Memphis.. but it's a different sort of place from the rest of the world.

As for the OP, that really sucks. Shouldn't they be busting drug dealers or something? -sigh-
    in CA u never get a ticket or arrested or anything unless its profitable, this kind of ticket is the best kind since they are cheap so u will just pay it.

also as others said how do u get a ticket for that since the headlights are part of the parking lights since the 50's on most cars
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Was this at dusk or night? Note the end of the regulation, "if the headlamps are also lighted." This specifies that if someone is driving without their head lamps on because they thought that their fog lights or parking lights were sufficient then they are operating their vehicle illegally and yes, they can be ticketed.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

of the Strawhat crew.
    I have an 89' Chevy pickup and you can turn the parking lights on without the headlights on.
    Last edited by Gamekiller; 07-13-2011 at 07:53 PM.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Addict
    I have an 89' Chevy pickup and you can turn the parking lights on without the headlights on. :shurg:
    Some of them had the parking lights on separate circuits. I have seen people driving with these on without headlights at dusk and early evening after dark. They probably don't realize that they haven't turned on their headlamps. Some cars that have these lights have both on automatically to prevent such error.

Of course, newer cars don't have this problem with parking lights..... rather, I have seen people driving with fog lights well into the evening.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    I Live In CA As Well, During The Summer Time Cops Like To Put Cones And Caution Tape Alongside The Road, Then Hide Behind A Bush On Their Motorcycle And Radar.
    They Ticket Your For "Construction Zone" Which Is Double The Fine, And Since Construction Zone Speed Limit is 25MPH They Give Out Tickets all day long.
    I Was Going 40MPH (normal speed limit) and ended up with a $650 speeding ticket, No Signs of Construction Either (besides the damn cones), No Workers, No construction vehicles, Nothing.
    Then My Mom Got Caught In The Same Trap About A Week Later LOL... I'm telling you this state is getting desperate for money.

Xtreme Addict
    They don't have to play tricks around here. People just habitually speed. In the town I used to live in, the speed limits were 25, and almost everybody wanted to go 35. They tail gate me all the time when I go through there. I don't dare speed, because they give out A LOT of tickets around there. They do however stick with the usual 3-5mph cushion.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Mentor

Wow, what the hell?!

I just did this the other day because it was cloudy but not raining and other people had theirs on.
    this state has almost the same laws as California. I live Ohio.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Cops on Probation

The cop was probably on Probation and needed the "Bust" to make his record look good. I always hate getting stopped by young cops that call me "SIR", you just know they are going to give you a ticket.

I got stopped on the A1 doing twice the legal speed limit at 3am in the moring in a Rover SDi 3.9 (Thats 140mph, good job I was not doing the max 150mph). After the old police sargent checked I was not drunk and I had all the paper work and the car was not stolen he just waved me on.

A few weeks later a young cop stops me for no valid reason and checks the car tires, horn, windscreen washers, fog lights and the fir dice did not block my view. He wrote me up for having a lose battery as it moved 1/2 an inch side to side. I had to take that one to court and the Clerk tossed it out on the grounds the car had just passed its MOT 3 days before! Cost me a days holiday and the price of having my suit dry cleaned.
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by masterg View Post
    where im at, i see alot of people just put their parking lights on as they drive especially in rain, when they dont need lights, cause they have to have some light on.
    Driving without your headlights on while it's raining is illegal where I'm at.
    Are you sure you wrote that right?
    Last edited by Dave_Sz; 07-13-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Since that specific law has been on the books since 1961 you would have better luck arguing to have it repealed or amended. Cops only enforce the existing laws(as stupid as some of the laws may be).

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, the parking lamp is on a different circuit, so one can simply switch on only the parking lamp.

California only cares about the money now. Cops probably get a raise or something if they write a ticket as Chinaguy said.
    The ty thing is, the cop reached in the car and taught my mom how to use the headlamp switch, saying "this ticket is for your safety."

Every day on the way to school, I see at least 2 cops just hiding there, trying to take a chance for the ticket as Chinaguy said.
    I personally know friends who got tickets because they are ~5 miles over the limit.
    Gotta wonder what are they going to do about the weed dealers in my school.
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Addict
    Everybody thinks that when they get a ticket that the cop should have been arresting a drug dealer. They're quite busy doing so, but enforcing traffic rules is also part of public safety. If they didn't enforce traffic rules, even though some of them seem ridiculous, you would see a LOT more traffic accidents. Then we'd all be saying that they should be doing something about that.

Can't she just go to court on the designated day and perhaps hope for mercy?
    Regards, Stew.....

I have an 89' Chevy pickup and you can turn the parking lights on without the headlights on.
    are u sure, normally there is a light that comes on in the headlight region but its not bright like a headlight.

back in the day u would use your parking lights to park, but then conventions changed and if u want to pull into a park in traffic u use the emergency flashers.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi