Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD and the big 3

Xtreme Mentor

AMD and the big 3

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/...nsole_hardware

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21274

Even today, AMD enjoys a rather privileged position in the console world, with its graphics processors powering two of the three current-gen consoles—Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii. As it turns out, AMD might end up with fingers in even more pies come the next generation. We already know the Wii U will be Radeon-based; HardOCP now reports that Microsoft's and Sony's next consoles will also feature AMD graphics.
    interesting
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

all outta gum
    Last I heard about Cell is that the development of next gen Cell cores has been cancelled. Where did [H] get the rumour of Cell in PS4 and next Xbox?
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

I am Xtreme
    after what the Cell did for PS3, why would they want to repeat that for PS4, and why would microsft want it too?

i think an APU would be perfect, a few fast cores, and a small gpu for physics or other super mulithreaded calculations

EDIT, with AMD being the gpu for all 3, that could be a major hit for physx and boost for bullet physics
    Last edited by Manicdan; 07-11-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    I wonder how much $$$ AMD actually makes off these chip designs. Place to check that?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    EDIT, with AMD being the gpu for all 3, that could be a major hit for physx and boost for bullet physics

When we see a bullet physics games on the pc, then at that time talking about other

Xtreme Addict
    In all honesty... I don't believe that AMD has secured graphics designs with all 3 companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    I wonder how much $$$ AMD actually makes off these chip designs. Place to check that?
    AMD SEC fillings would be my best guess
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Foyle View Post
    Last I heard about Cell is that the development of next gen Cell cores has been cancelled. Where did [H] get the rumour of Cell in PS4 and next Xbox?
    As far as i know they (Sony) have opened a new factory for Cell development, I don't remember when exactly and also there is this
    http://imageshack.us/f/411/roadmap1kh0.png/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...admap2wx8.png/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...admap4qw8.png/
    Last edited by TheBreezyBB; 07-11-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Case: HAF-X
    CPU: AMD phenom II X6 1090T@4GHz
    Motherboard: Asus CHIV formula
    GPU: 2x 6870
    RAM: Patriot Sector 5 2x4GB
    HDD: Crucial M4 256GB

Can you? On AIR
    Better? -- On AIR

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    In all honesty... I don't believe that AMD has secured graphics designs with all 3 companies.
    That would make sense for companies, though. That way porting games from one console to another is easier, optimisation doesn't take quite as long.
    And that could help console ports on PC as well since they would run on familiar hardware in ~50% of cases.
    I believe Nvidia chips are too power-hungry and computing optimised for consoles at the moment. Plus Nvidia is more expensive, as usually, at least the top end stuff. Not to mention they are very busy with Tegra and phones... So yeah, I see a lot of reasons for console makers to pick AMD.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    This might change the gaming scene.
    What will happen to PhysX once the best selling gaming platforms abandon Nvidia?

If this comes true, games will indeed be programmed to work for AMD GPUs and then we'll have to see what is the way they are meant to be played lol

Xtreme Addict
    Most recently they have sold the design/manufacturing rights to the company and then get royalties for each console sold.
    Specifics aren't broken down in the SEC filings though I think I remember reading some estimates in their old filings, about their future.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I see no reason to ditch cell. They have been running that for 4 years now and devs are finally starting to utilize its power. So giving them a more powerful version could prompt even more impressive products. I am still not sure why they do not go with x86 CPUs. Then there is no porting. Everything is written the same and just needs interaction changes and a simple graphics slider to go from PC to console. Would save everyone involved lots of money.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Xtreme Mentor
    interesting
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There's no reason to kill cell, but there's little reason to keep it onboard. The cell engine was designed for parallel processing and for it's time it was quite nice. The air force and a number of scientific bodies employed ps3s for this reason. However, GPUs are now much more arbitrarily programmable and have a number of advantages: They're more powerful, they're cheaper, and they're easier to program. So, good by cell. Sleep tight sweet prince.

YouTube Addict
    far less than you would expect. However it provides other advantages that don't exactly fit on a balance sheet.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
    I am still not sure why they do not go with x86 CPUs. Then there is no porting. Everything is written the same and just needs interaction changes and a simple graphics slider to go from PC to console. Would save everyone involved lots of money.
    If I were a console manufacturer, I wouldn't go with x86 either. Why bother with all of those legacy instructions and added cost? In most cases, "porting" is simply a recompile for the alternate cpu arch.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    If I were a console manufacturer, I wouldn't go with x86 either. Why bother with all of those legacy instructions and added cost? In most cases, "porting" is simply a recompile for the alternate cpu arch.

--Matt
    Also, it has been done before (See original Xbox). They learned their lesson for the sequel.

Xtreme Member
    Correct me if I am wrong, but do console designers not buy a design of the gpu compony then fab it themselves? I.e. AMD or whoever gets a one of payment, not a slice of console price?
    CPU: Intel 2500k (4.8ghz)
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 PRO
    GPU: HIS 6950 flashed to Asus 6970 (1000/1400) under water
    Sound: Corsair SP2500 with X-Fi
    Storage: Intel X-25M g2 160GB + 1x1TB f1
    Case: Sivlerstone Raven RV02
    PSU: Corsair HX850
    Cooling: Custom loop: EK Supreme HF, EK 6970
    Screens: BenQ XL2410T 120hz

Help for Heroes

Xtreme Addict
    Also, it has been done before (See original Xbox). They learned their lesson for the sequel.
    Yup. Crappy celeron powered Xbox 1.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why not go with NVIDIA and GPU PhysX? That would blow the first party games of your competitor out of the water.

IIRC correctly, the only reason MS switched to ATI was, that NV wouldn't let MS screw them out of royalties. The weak GPU in PS3 falls on Sony, because they wanted the whole thing only powered by the Cell.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
    Why not go with NVIDIA and GPU PhysX? That would blow the first party games of your competitor out of the water.
    Compatibility issues. And AFAIK PhysX SDK is pretty limited and locked down compared to, for example, Bullet or totally custom OpenCL implementations.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme
    i could only see exclusive titles really taking full advantage of phsyx. its either added as pretty effects, or its compatibility will be very limited, but exclusive titles wouldnt have to be scared of the compatibility part.

edit, creepy cat beat me too it.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Compatibility issues. And AFAIK PhysX SDK is pretty limited and locked down compared to, for example, Bullet or totally custom OpenCL implementations.
    Compatibility issues are not a problem with your first party games and PhysX tools are far ahead of the competition. Definitely better then writing the whole thing from scratch in OpenCL. Dunno about Bullet, but their GPU accelerated stuff is nowhere to be seen.

Xtreme Addict
    You ever think that these companies don't want to be tied down to propietary hardware? Nvidia has commanded some royalties from people before but AMD is much more willing to play with MS and Sony and whoever. Not to mention that Nvidia's hardware failures in the mobility sector might have left some of them a sour taste

Also, Nvidia's current offerings are too compute focus. That said, I doubt they've secured all 3 already - then again, the consoles are in development so it would be soon when we find out, one way or another.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    PhysX already works on the xbox360 which has an ATi card, pretty sure on the Wii which is also ATi. It's plastered all over the games boxes and initial load screens anyways. So it's not like the console developers couldn't use it, the restrictions on ATi hardware seem more about nvidia screwing with the PC platform than something that actually affects consoles one bit.

I'm pretty sure the Wii and the next Xbox are already confirmed to be using ATi hardware, it's the PS3 that is in doubt.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast