Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandia-designed CPU cooler lacks fan, rotates heatsink instead

Xtreme Mentor

Sandia-designed CPU cooler lacks fan, rotates heatsink instead

CPU coolers aren't rocket science, but the Sandia National Laboratories has produced one anyway. As one might expect, it's rather special. The patent-pending "Air Bearing Heat Exchanger" promises to substantially reduce the amount of energy required to cool microprocessors while simultaneously cutting noise levels. Fans are the only source of energy consumption for common air coolers, and they happen to be the sole generators of noise. Sandia's cooler doesn't have one. Instead, it rotates the heatsink itself. Here's a diagram pulled from the official press release:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21262

Xtreme Member
    Sounds like it could be a bit dangerous with a thing spinning around in there like that, presumably keeping the base still though I hope otherwise it could start wearing the IHS down too.

Xtreme Mentor
    Well it says stationary base plate!

He'll I'd get one of these, looks cool. Expensive tho.

Mmm thinking. The reasons fans make noise is 'generally/mostly' the actual motor rotating right? Surely this will be a more 'heavy duty' motor seeming it's moving metal ? Or does it not have to spin as fast or something
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Guru
    dude i think its ingenious. ive read over the whitepaper already and its pretty impressive. i want one. well four actually
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Addict
    it's the compression/drag of air that creates most of the sound isn't it?

also, will there be a grease port? lol
    Last edited by VulgarHandle; 07-09-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Xtreme Mentor
    Meh, the limit on todays cooler aint the fans, its getting the heat up and away from the cpu/ihs. This heatsink is not going to improve that part. Also, radial fans (wich this is) seemes to move less air per db than normal fans(tho with higher head pressure), that and the bigger engine needed to move this amount of weight is going to make this quite noisy.

Tho, it is very cool :p
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

I am Xtreme
    How can rotating a heavy heatsink consume less power than rotating light fan blades?
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    yeah if it spins faster than a cpu fan and is heavier too, it'll have to use more power...

but the design is neat and the release seems serious. this guy is probably a lockheed martin employee and also an extreme computer nerd, which is pretty fun.

so this could become reality...eventually. the technology readiness level (TRL) is 4, which is far from 9, so it's not reality yet!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    How can rotating a heavy heatsink consume less power than rotating light fan blades?
    once it's finished accelerating the "heavy" heatsink shouldn't matter unless it adds a lot of bearing friction. It doesn't consume less power per say...but it should be more efficient cooling per db/rpm/power due to the reasons given in the long research paper thingy. Also that prototype is going to have significantly less air resistance than a deep finned fan whose purpose is to push air at high CFM, which is much less needed for this design (apparently)

c[_]
    Too unreliable.

DeltZ - there must be contact force between the stationary plate and rotating assembly. This will cause much more friction and resistance to overcome than spinning a fan motor has.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Dont see how it could work as you would need contact between the fins and the part of the HS in contact with the processor.

Smoke and mirrors IMO.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If these prove to be durable enough I could totally see them in laptops.
    -Cpu:Opteron 170 LCBQE 0722RPBW(2.87ghz @ 1.300v)
    (retired)Opteron 146 (939) CAB2E 0540
    -Heatsink: Thermalright XP-90
    -Fan:120mm Yate Loon 1650 RPM @ 12V, 70.5 CFM, 33dB
    -Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 UT Ultra-D
    -Ram: Mushkin High Performance blue, 2gigs(2X1gig kit) PC3200 991434
    -Hard drive: Seagate 400GB Barracuda SATA HD 7200.10(AS noisey model)
    -Video card: evga 6800GS @520/1170
    -Case: P180
    -PSU:Enermax 535Watt EG565P-VE FMA (24P)

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Too unreliable.

DeltZ - there must be contact force between the stationary plate and rotating assembly. This will cause much more friction and resistance to overcome than spinning a fan motor has.
    We as a species have been known to build many reliable, heavy, rotating objects. You don't really have any basis for your claim without knowing more about the design.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    We as a species have been known to build many reliable, heavy, rotating objects. You don't really have any basis for your claim without knowing more about the design.
    Psh. Without even reading the whitepaper you can know facts about something that top Department of Energy research scientists obviously don't know :p /sarcasm
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    They tend to have low friction surfaces with poor thermal transfer properties.

The only way to create a low friction heat transfer surface would be to use a vapor chamber like design. This would require the use of a seal (huge mechanical liability vs a fan) to keep the chamber below or above ambient air pressure depending on the required characteristics of the liquid/vapor used internally. Wicking structures would have to be internally separated which reduces contact surface area slightly.

Did I mention a vapor chamber is going to be required for any kind of actual thermal efficiency beyond a handful of watts?

EDIT

I should mention that use of copper ball bearings is a possibility, but they will also break down and have limited energy transfer capabilities as well.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    Interesting concept, but introducing a insulating layer, even if it is only 25 µm is what i see as the weakest part of that design. Conduction is always better in solid metal then in air. While I can see the noisereduction is very true, I doubt there is much energy saving going on. A fanblade as what 20g? For the heatsink you could easily say it has 200g.

Edit:
    I have read a bit now in the paper and when it comes to performance that cooler isn't that "hot". The prototyp has a °C/W of 0.2, while this is better then lets say intels stock heatsinks (which are around 0.3) a cheapo tower cooler like the CM hyper TX3 already offers 0.14-0.16. He suggestes that a modified version (higher fins, smaller baseplat) could score around 0.1 which is basically current highend cpu cooler region (like the Megahalems or NH C-14). I dont know when he gathred his data, but the selection of cpu coolers he used to compare this results to, is lets say, quite outdated..

What I am really disapointed in, is power consumption... 8-10W for his configuration? Tz.. a typical 120mm fan uses between 1 and 3W... And it seems that the second prototype will consome more, because of the bigger rotator.

I don't know if this concept will be that good as cpu cooler but for the other suggested application area in the HVAC sector this might be a winner, espeical for smaller systems.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 07-10-2011 at 06:07 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    not sound good
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

I am Xtreme
    i think its interesting the guy didnt try a design with much thinner fins on the impeller. it looks like his goal was to use a solid block for best thermal transfer, but i question if that would have been as good as using fins soldered down and gaining 3-5x the surface area.

also for him to achieve <.1 C/W, he expect this thing to spin at 10000 RPMs, and the motor consuming 30W
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    also for him to achieve <.1 C/W, he expect this thing to spin at 10000 RPMs, and the motor consuming 30W
    There go the noise and power efficiency claims, lol.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

NooB MOD
    Well think about it, the air flowing over a fan isn't nearly the speed of the air flowing past the blades. The fan might only need to do 100RPM.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i think its interesting the guy didnt try a design with much thinner fins on the impeller. it looks like his goal was to use a solid block for best thermal transfer, but i question if that would have been as good as using fins soldered down and gaining 3-5x the surface area.
    Maybe balance issues, imho the rotator needs to balanced quite well and with soldering you can easily introduce weight distribution issues resulting in a unbalanced heatsink. Thought maybe sintering can work, but i guess that will have negative impact on the heat conduction capabilities.

Xtreme Addict
    +1000
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Addict
    Because of newton's first law.

It would only consume extra power while accelerating the heatsink to speed, and that is a very short period of time. Once in motion the motor only has to counteract the fluid drag on the blades and base.

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    Because of newton's first law.

It would only consume extra power while accelerating the heatsink to speed, and that is a very short period of time. Once in motion the motor only has to counteract the fluid drag on the blades and base.
    No, that's a logical fallacy. "It will only consume extra power" does not go hand-in-hand with "consume less power". At best you are going for a long-term near-equality. Also, as pointed out previously, the HS will at the very least have more friction and must therefore require more energy. There is simply no avoiding it. Finally, rotating at a few thousand RPM means that their goal is to use at least 2k rpm... that's a lot more RPM than most fans have, a ridiculous amount more if they're looking at 3k+.

As well, I see that picture includes an AIR GAP between the thin conductive base and the actual heatsinks. For very good reasons good coolers do NOT have air gaps of any size, but because microscopic air gaps do exist we use thermal paste. You want to see the absolute best-case scenario for this design? Go scrape the thermal paste off your heatsink and compare its performance. Except this will perform worse because the gap has to be large enough to allow a sufficiently large gap for rotation and wobble.

Oh, plus now if you're working on a server that's heating up because a motor went out you can't just replace a fan while leaving the thing on, you need to take the whole server down so you can manually and annoyingly replace the heatsink. And these motors will be more likely to fail because they're going much faster with a heavier load...

No, no... this whole thing is a horrible idea. A 100% bad idea.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    No, that's a logical fallacy. "It will only consume extra power" does not go hand-in-hand with "consume less power". At best you are going for a long-term near-equality. Also, as pointed out previously, the HS will at the very least have more friction and must therefore require more energy.
    In context of theory under perfect situations he's right. You're only going to require more energy to start it up, then the power would much less after it has finished accelerating.
    Second point, coefficient of friction of a bearing may be signficantly small such that the extra mass/weight of the heatsink (Which isn't as much as a conventional heatsink) will not contribute as much losses as the reduction/comparison in/to aerodynamic drag that a standard fan experiences in comparison to the spinning heatsink.

but yeah...definitely be skeptical the performance may not scale that well.
    RPM needed to achieve said performance seems pretty sketchy.

Likely wont work well in practise and no one will license the idea :P

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast