Thread: Just Cause 2, a key to better base jumping.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Just Cause 2, a key to better base jumping.

This game can take a LONG time to achieve 100% completion with, and one thing near the end that can cause many a player frustration are some of the base jumps that require a steep downward angle on the take off, which is hard to pull off with the standard jump-off-the-building method.

Thus I made these videos to demonstrate alternative launch methods which yield a great trajectory every time. Happy free falling JC 2 lovers.

Just Cause 2 - Base Jump Challenge - Twin Dive

Just Cause 2 - Base Jump Challenge - Tangga ke Syurga
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 07-09-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Hmm, didnt know those even existed. I just sticked to kamikaze fall trying to catch an empty helicopter falling down. Or an airplane, but airplanes are easy (Golden Eye style).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's not really practical to try to hijack a heli while free falling. The rotors prevent you from grappling one from above. It's best to be suspended from the chute and facing the chopper at approximately the same altitude.

Anyways, I've put off going for more completion for a while. It takes a LONG time just to discover and complete all the locations, and some are saying there's a glitch preventing you from getting 100% completion.

I won this game for free over at amdmb.com where im a reg at.

I tried to like this game, I really did, reinstalled it at least 4 times. Just another GTA clone. Graphics engine is a lot better and is much more efficient, but the game itself I just couldnt get into it.
    CPU: Phenom II X4 940
    HSF: Rocketfish POS
    Mobo: DFI/Sapphire Pure 790X
    RAM: Mushkin 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066@400mhz (5-5-5-18)
    HDD1: Velociraptor 150GB
    HDD2/3: WD Caviar Blue 250GB/Seagate Barracuda 160GB
    Optical: Pioneer 215D
    Video: Asus 6950 2GB
    Audio: X-Fi Fatality Professonal
    Misc: Logitech G15/G5/Razer Piranha
    Case/PSU: TT Dokker/TT Toughpower XT 775W
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster BX2235
    Drivers: Newest

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not even GTA's TBoGT with it's base jumping comes close to Just Cause 2. Much bigger map, much more diversity in what you can do, no constant nagging phone calls, and some pretty challenging races. The ones in GTA are laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Frag Maniac View Post
    Not even GTA's TBoGT with it's base jumping comes close to Just Cause 2. Much bigger map, much more diversity in what you can do, no constant nagging phone calls, and some pretty challenging races. The ones in GTA are laughable.

Which GTA r u talking about? GTA 4 was no where near as good as San Andreas, and still runs like crap even on todays hardware. I said I do think Just Cause 2 was a better game engine, its just how the game played itself didnt attract me, plus the acting was horrible. They tried to give it the orginal Far Cry style sense of humour and it was lame.

Xtreme Member
    still waiting for Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire... damn you rockstar
    DJ Falcone 2x Technics SL1200 MK5, Behringer DJX750 Mixer, Alienware m17 laptop.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Which GTA r u talking about? GTA 4 was no where near as good as San Andreas, and still runs like crap even on todays hardware. I said I do think Just Cause 2 was a better game engine, its just how the game played itself didnt attract me, plus the acting was horrible. They tried to give it the orginal Far Cry style sense of humour and it was lame.
    The Ballad of Gay Tony, it's an expansion to GTA IV. I tried San Andreas briefly and couldn't stand the horrible driving and camera controls on PC. I also thought the moronic start to the story was too much to take with the tagging and silliness.

Yeah the voice acting, dialog and story in JC need work, but the gameplay itself is much more dynamic. GTA games always play like you're stuck in a world of wannabe gangsters stooping to ridiculous tasks to make a buck. Even the better story GTA IV had to the prior installments suffered from this.

The only time GTA IV runs like crap is when you try to combine too high res with too high shadow settings with hardware that isn't up to it. I think the statements about optimization are overblown really considering the size and complexity of the map. It's also one of few games that uses the more realistic Euphoria physics.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 08-09-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Well I tried running GTA IV on an Alienware laptop I payed $2300 in January 2009, Core2Duo 8600, 4gb ddr3 1066, 3870 in Crossfire X, 1920x1080 all textures, shadows, view distance on low, and the game chopped along at like 10-15FPS, were talking the BEST mobile platform had to offer, couldn't run a console game on low settings, yet a $300 Xbox runs flawlessly in that resolution. this was about a month or two after the PC release. GTA IVs horrible performance is most likely the reason why Red Dead and LA Noire didn't have a pc port, They all run on the same game engine... were talking about a game released in 2008, it should definitely NOT require a quad core processor to run.
    DJ Falcone 2x Technics SL1200 MK5, Behringer DJX750 Mixer, Alienware m17 laptop.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by halofanman View Post
    Well I tried running GTA IV on an Alienware laptop I payed $2300 in January 2009, Core2Duo 8600, 4gb ddr3 1066, 3870 in Crossfire X, 1920x1080 all textures, shadows, view distance on low, and the game chopped along at like 10-15FPS
    Let's clarify this first. Notebook for 2300$ is nowhere near as good as desktop for 2300$ and spending even 3k $ on notebook, doesnt mean you could run any game. It's just a notebook.

, were talking the BEST mobile platform had to offer, couldn't run a console game on low settings, yet a $300 Xbox runs flawlessly in that resolution.
    As far as I know xbox runs flawlessly, but not full hd. It runs 720p and still with worse graphics. So you can't compare it.

this was about a month or two after the PC release. GTA IVs horrible performance is most likely the reason why Red Dead and LA Noire didn't have a pc port, They all run on the same game engine... were talking about a game released in 2008, it should definitely NOT require a quad core processor to run.
    With ASUS G53SW i7-2630QM I was able to run GTA IV pretty nice. Not even talking about my desktop rig. This game is, and always will be, processor demanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Frag Maniac View Post
    The Ballad of Gay Tony, it's an expansion to GTA IV. I tried San Andreas briefly and couldn't stand the horrible driving and camera controls on PC. I also thought the moronic start to the story was too much to take with the tagging and silliness.

Yeah the voice acting, dialog and story in JC need work, but the gameplay itself is much more dynamic. GTA games always play like you're stuck in a world of wannabe gangsters stooping to ridiculous tasks to make a buck. Even the better story GTA IV had to the prior installments suffered from this.

The only time GTA IV runs like crap is when you try to combine too high res with too high shadow settings with hardware that isn't up to it. I think the statements about optimization are overblown really considering the size and complexity of the map. It's also one of few games that uses the more realistic Euphoria physics.
    Ballad of gay tony was the worst 15 bucks I ever spent on an "expansion" worst then GTA4.
    As for San Andreas, did you play it when it was REALEASED at the time? Of course it cant compare to the tech out now. But the story and inmersiveness was great, and as for wannabe gangsters, lol seems you fail to catch the message GTA writers were trying to give us. And btw it had real actors like Dennis Hopper, Sam Jackson and Peter Fonda, etc... doing voice overs
    Well I tried running GTA IV on an Alienware laptop I payed $2300 in January 2009, Core2Duo 8600, 4gb ddr3 1066, 3870 in Crossfire X, 1920x1080 all textures, shadows, view distance on low, and the game chopped along at like 10-15FPS, were talking the BEST mobile platform had to offer, couldn't run a console game on low settings, yet a $300 Xbox runs flawlessly in that resolution. this was about a month or two after the PC release. GTA IVs horrible performance is most likely the reason why Red Dead and LA Noire didn't have a pc port, They all run on the same game engine... were talking about a game released in 2008, it should definitely NOT require a quad core processor to run.
    GTA4 is console port garbage in its purest form. Notice it also only ran on 3 cores, cough xbox, ps3 anyone? cough
    Quote Originally Posted by c22 View Post
    Let's clarify this first. Notebook for 2300$ is nowhere near as good as desktop for 2300$ and spending even 3k $ on notebook, doesnt mean you could run any game. It's just a notebook.

As far as I know xbox runs flawlessly, but not full hd. It runs 720p and still with worse graphics. So you can't compare it.

With ASUS G53SW i7-2630QM I was able to run GTA IV pretty nice. Not even talking about my desktop rig. This game is, and always will be, processor demanding.
    Like I said only up to three cores and still runs like crap on video cards that are 10 times more powerfull then a console.

I will admit that other game Just Cause 2 engine looks and runs and feels a lot better then GTA4 even though the game itself sucks

Xtreme Member
    the Alienware M17 wasn't just a "notebook" it was a desktop replacement laptop.
    The Core 2 Duo 8600 is generations beyond the 360's xenon.
    in fact that processor today is still more expensive than an xbox 360
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115054
    GTA IV = worst case of consolitis in history
    /endrant

/endrant
    It may be but that game was designed for 3 cores dude.

Xtreme Member
    /endrant
    It was and is "just a notebook". Whatever is inside. You simply CAN'T get the power of desktop which fits in mobile desig. Not yet.

Also, there's nothing more stupid than "desktop replacement". There's nothing like "desktop-replacement". You want a "desktop-replacement"? You buy a mini-ITX, i7-2600K and fit it in smallest case possible. I will say 1 more time - notebooks, whatever is inside, will stay notebooks forever and will never surpass desktop computer of the same generation. People who buy "desktop-replacements" are a bit stupid.

EOT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by c22 View Post
    It runs 720p and still with worse graphics. So you can't compare it.
    Not to mention the consoles are limited to the equivalent of an abysmal value of 10 for Detail Distance, so there's tons of texture pop-ins. http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43...tings-Detailed

I thought TBoGT was very poor as well. The Lost and Damned that came with it was slightly better, but pretty bad too. As for the rest we could argue back and forth endlessly, but most of it is just personal opinion, including talk of crap porting, optimization and which gameplay is better. It also matters whether you're talking about GTA IV right after release, or after all the patching. There are lots of games out there that have worse graphics and optimization. I think it's kind of ironic we both like and dislike these games, but for opposite reasons.

Like Crysis, GTA IV takes sensible settings and hardware to make it run and look good, but run and look good it can, even with a mere GTS 250 1GB like I use. I don't use 1920x1080 res with that card though. I have enough sense to know I'm better off limiting it to 1280x960, or 1280x720 when I do Fraps captures for YouTube. Granted Just Cause 2 IS the more optimized game, especially considering the huge map size, but it also released 2 yrs after GTA IV. More like 3 yrs regarding the the core coding since the PC version came out a yr after the console version.

As for gameplay, I have not played past the first part of San Andreas where you're stuck in a silly gang tagging and bicycling, but I HAVE seen much of the rest of the game played by my neighbor and via videos on the net I've watched. I can't say it intrigues me. The combat is very arcade and like most GTA IV stories, many of the missions make it feel like the protagonist is a loser that simply can't avoid falling in with the wrong crowd. Even the better written story and characters in GTA IV have this mood. Eventually it becomes predictable, boring and depressing.

Just Cause 2 IS arcade in combat too, I'd like to see them add a cover system and the ability to shoot while crouched, but at least the missions involve serious subject matter against a government dictatorship, vs some crazy gangs. Yeah I know Rockstar thinks their content is flamboyant and humorous, but much of it falls flat for me.

Oh, and btw, Rockstar recently announced L.A. Noire WILL be coming to PC. http://www.rockstargames.com/newswir...this-fall.html

ANYWAYS, back OT, or has everyone forgotten this thread was about basejumping techniques? Like I said, The Ballad of Gay Tony has some basejumping, and even basejump challenges, but the mechanics of it are terrible and there's no way to overcome it like you can the launches with the grapple I demonstrate in the above video. It's also quite laborious to try and use the parachute for gameplay in TBoGT, whereas in JC2, even though it's use is over the top and arcade, you can do tons with it and with good gameplay flow.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 08-10-2011 at 02:07 PM.