Thread: [Xbit Labs] Nvidia's Next-Gen Mobile Chip to Feature Up to Eight Cores

Xtreme Member

[Xbit Labs] Nvidia's Next-Gen Mobile Chip to Feature Up to Eight Cores

Source - Xbit Labs

"Nvidia's Fourth-Generation Tegra "Wayne" to Sport Up to Eight Cores

Even though Nvidia Corp.'s third-generation Tegra "Kal El" is still months away, the first details about the fourth-generation Tegra code-named Wayne have already started to emerge. Apparently, the new system-on-chip aimed at tablets, smartbooks and similar devices, will feature up to eight ARM cores in addition to DirectX 11 capabilities.

There will be at least two versions of Wayne system-on-chip devices: one with up to eight ARM Cortex-A15 cores and up to 64 stream processors, another with up to four ARM Cortex-A15 cores and up to 24 stream processors, reports Bright Side of News web-site. The new SoCs will be made using 28nm process technology and will be released commercially sometimes in 2012, in time for Windows 8 launch, which will support ARM architecture.

At present there are not a lot of details available about Tegra T40-series known as Wayne. Since Nvidia does not know exact power consumption of the forthcoming system-on-chip devices, the company will adjust performance (clock-speeds, the amount of execution units, etc.) of the chips after tape-out in late 2011.

Nvidia's ultimate goal is to increase performance of Tegra 2 by ten times with Wayne and also ensure that developers start using technologies like OpenCL as well as GPGPU on the ultra-mobile devices.

The Santa Clara, California-based designer of multimedia chips hopes that its ARM-based SoCs will eventually compete not only against their direct rivals from Texas Instruments, Qualcomm and others, but also against x86-based solutions from Advanced Micro Devices and Intel Corp.

Nvidia did not comment on the news-story."

Add me on Facebook
    -=<#*!! 5OUnD PHr33K !!*#>=-

Xtreme Member
    I love those codenames so much.
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
    Memory: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX @ 1600Mhz
    Graphics: Sapphire 6950 Toxic on BenQ XL2420TE
    Board: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    Power: Corsair AX850W (70A)

HEATware
    Currently playing: Planetside 2, Dead Space 3, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Xtreme Mentor
    So lets see what we have here:

Super Man
    Bat Man
    X Men "It would be X Man since its singular"
    Iron Man

All of them are men huh interesting, maybe next chips will have names of woman superheros a way for nvidia to tell that women are superior to men in someway....
    hehe
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    X Men "It would be X Man since its singular"
    Its Wolverine, so yeah, X-MAN

I would have liked if the TDP and manufacturing processes these architectures are targeting as well be revealed.

Xtreme Member
    So here's how I see it taping out.

Wayne - Fear
    Logan -Freak
    Stark - Fortune.

Wayne will strike fear into the mobile market.
    Logan will be a freak of ARM computing.
    Stark will bring a fortune to Nvidia as a mobile weapon of amazing power.

/thread.

Love the names, btw.
    PII 965BE @ 3.8Ghz /|\ TRUE 120 w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan /|\ XFX HD 5870 /|\ 4GB G.Skill 1600mhz DDR3 /|\ Gigabyte 790GPT-UD3H /|\ Two lovely 24" monitors (1920x1200) /|\ and a nice leather chair.

Xtreme Member
    don't care about the performance, i'm sold just with the code names alone! Good Job Nvidia!
    Newbie Cruncher

Xtreme Member
    In the chart nVidia implies that by 2014 she will have an ARM chip on the market about 20-30 times as fast as Core 2 Duo (I guess measured in Flops).
    So I have to ask the most savvy members: Is that even technologically possible? There is a good chance that -by then- not even Intel herself would be able to have as fast of a chip.

Does this imply a game-changing shift (from x86 to ARM), or is it mere marketing BS from nVidia?

Xtreme Member
    Nvidia had a chart with graphics with in recent years showing video card performance going up hundreds of times in a short amount of time. I never saw that slide again however. Though depending on the ARM chip it could perhaps gain more performance if it was oreintanted towards a PC market. Instead of focusing on phones which use batteries and require very low wattage chips, we could perhaps see 100W arm chip in the future. Though I doubt they are going to up performance that much. Especially with only doubling the core count every new release I already see a octo core in the plans. At some point they are going to up the performance of the core itself.

Xtreme Member
    Nvidia had a chart with graphics with in recent years showing video card performance going up hundreds of times in a short amount of time. I never saw that slide again however. Though depending on the ARM chip it could perhaps gain more performance if it was orientated towards a PC market. Instead of focusing on phones which use batteries and require very low wattage chips, we could perhaps see 100W arm chip in the future. Though I doubt they are going to up performance that much. Especially with only doubling the core count every new release I already see a octo core in the plans. At some point they are going to up the performance of the core itself.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevethegreat View Post
    In the chart nVidia implies that by 2014 she will have an ARM chip on the market about 20-30 times as fast as Core 2 Duo (I guess measured in Flops).
    So I have to ask the most savvy members: Is that even technologically possible? There is a good chance that -by then- not even Intel herself would be able to have as fast of a chip.

Does this imply a game-changing shift (from x86 to ARM), or is it mere marketing BS from nVidia?
    They're basically using the GPU to base performance on. The ARM chip, while a good chip, isn't capable of being used in the main computer market just yet. It's a small device CPU, but things may start to change now Microsoft are developing on it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I dont believe that core 2 duo line. Are they trying to say Kal-El is faster? really?
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

http://androidcommunity.com/kal-el-n...ra-2-20110218/

Quote Originally Posted by LightSpeed View Post
    I dont believe that core 2 duo line. Are they trying to say Kal-El is faster? really?
    NVIDIA Forums Administrator

I am Xtreme
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Aren't Kal-El and Tegra 2 both ARM chips? If they're that fast in comparison to much more robust x86 chips, that's very promising is it not?

ARM has gotten a lot faster very quickly.
    PII 965BE @ 3.8Ghz /|\ TRUE 120 w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan /|\ XFX HD 5870 /|\ 4GB G.Skill 1600mhz DDR3 /|\ Gigabyte 790GPT-UD3H /|\ Two lovely 24" monitors (1920x1200) /|\ and a nice leather chair.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It would be amazing if Nvidia could actually deliver these claims, but we all know these numbers are pulled out of nowhere. 10x the performance? CPU power? GPU power? Probably a combo of both and then added.. ie: 2core to 4 core cpu is x2 + whatever figure they give GPU estimations.

I've held out on android tablets due to their seemingly sluggish performance (granted I've only played with demo models utilizing Tegra 2's..like Motorola's Xoom for example), was hoping that next gen CPU's(be it TI, Nvidia, or Samsung) would improve upon that...along with OS optimization(when I use iOS on the ipad 2 it feels considerably smoother/faster compared to honey comb on similar hardware...and no I'm no mac fan, just saying my experience).
    -Cpu:Opteron 170 LCBQE 0722RPBW(2.87ghz @ 1.300v)
    (retired)Opteron 146 (939) CAB2E 0540
    -Heatsink: Thermalright XP-90
    -Fan:120mm Yate Loon 1650 RPM @ 12V, 70.5 CFM, 33dB
    -Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 UT Ultra-D
    -Ram: Mushkin High Performance blue, 2gigs(2X1gig kit) PC3200 991434
    -Hard drive: Seagate 400GB Barracuda SATA HD 7200.10(AS noisey model)
    -Video card: evga 6800GS @520/1170
    -Case: P180
    -PSU:Enermax 535Watt EG565P-VE FMA (24P)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Exactly, I was wondering where Nvidia got their claims from. Also, if you see the picture the Core2duo is around 2.5x the Tegra 2 and the Kal-El is 5x Tegra 2,which means Kal-El according to them is 2x the perf of core2 duo. What a joke.

Thing is, it really depends on the benchmark. Also, given the in-order architecture of the ARM chips, it would have a big deficit in many other benchmarks (which may possibly be irrelevant to ARM chips however)

What does this Coremark score represent?
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

Xtreme CCIE
    Hmmm, I guess as long as they continue to use new compilers and optimizations for new chips and older compilers without optimizations on their old chips they're pretty much guaranteed to hit a 100x advantage vs. a Core 2 Duo within their timeline. So their chart's probably spot-on.

The only down side here is that such practices don't reflect the reality of the situation in the slightest.

But then that's marketing. If one wanted reality they shouldn't ask a marketing guy for it.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Cruncher
    I like the aggressive and ambitious target they set themselves
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So much lies and truth twistings when dealing with nVidia, i guess. That's just already given.