Thread: Apple to launch new iPhone: Wall Street Journal

Apple to launch new iPhone: Wall Street Journal

The Wall Street Journal is carrying a story about an impending iPhone launch, production constraints for the phone, and Apple's conflict with Samsung; the story also includes a video report.

Excerpts from the text of the WSJ story:

Apple has ordered key components for a new iPhone it is aiming to launch by the end of September, said people familiar with the situation.
    These people said the new iPhone is expected to be similar to the current iPhone 4, but thinner and lighter with an improved eight-megapixel camera.
    One person familiar with the matter said the new iPhone will operate on Qualcomm Inc.'s wireless chips.

Apple at the time said a new version of its mobile operating system would be available this fall.

Two people familiar with the situation cautioned the next iPhone could be delayed further if contract manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Co., which assembles the iPhone for Apple, couldn't improve its production yield rate.

On Tuesday, Apple filed a complaint against Samsung with the U.S. International Trade Commission seeking to bar U.S. imports of Samsung smartphones and tablets after Samsung last week requested that the ITC exclude certain iPhone and iPad models from the U.S. Market.

Apple has also been working on a less-expensive phone with new features such as an edge-to-edge screen...
    Source and full story along with accompanying video: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...482910586.html

Xtreme Addict
    Why is this news?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    Why is this news?
    Mobile computing, which is what all phones are now for the most part, is huge. It's vastly more important to most people than say desktop computing. Smart phones are everyone's new email, internet browsing, facebook, gaming, etc, device of choice. With a laptop fired up when you need to run office.

Apple is a pretty big players in that market, iphones, ipods, and ipads pretty much drive them and their worth more than Microsoft is now. This isn't shocking and no matter how snazzy Windows 8 is it's not going to make a difference as desktops are so 1990's, and even laptops are losing grounds to smart phones and tablets when it comes to everything that is not Microsoft Office, and once you can properly work that on a tablet it's going to be ugly for Microsoft.

I'd say news from the smart phone and mobile sector is pretty important given it's impact. There's massive growth in mobile computing at a time where other areas are shrinking.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Member
    Why is this news?
    Yes, why? This is not news and it's already old.

Why is this news?
    You did come to the thread and read/post didn’t you?!

I think that it is reasonable to assume that members of this forum would be smart phone users; and many would constantly upgrade their phones. This information might help a purchase decision. I will go on and say that the story is interesting - there is a newer phone from a leading manufacturer around the corner, and there is conflict between manufacturers of smart phones. Apart from being breaking news, the story is also one of the most popular in the Wall Street Journal, which [to me] is newsworthy in itself. Also, this news was released only yesterday.
    Last edited by xytrius; 07-08-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Corrected grammer

Xtreme Mentor
    errmmm desktop sales are up...

as are laptops..
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Addict
    Smartphones are overrated, just get a cheap mobile phone for actual phone calls, a proper PC or Notebook for any serious work and a Tablet for browsing / email and such, that way you have everything covered without forcing yourself to see anything on the micro screen of a Smartphone.
    Just my 2 cents.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    Smartphones are overrated, just get a cheap mobile phone for actual phone calls, a proper PC or Notebook for any serious work and a Tablet for browsing / email and such, that way you have everything covered without forcing yourself to see anything on the micro screen of a Smartphone.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Well, yeah, but people still need a phone for making phone calls and if it has the other features on it why not? Our work load-out for all users is choice of desktop, 2 models, or choice of laptop 15in or ultra thin. We (lol) have no desktops and a ton of laptops with docking stations at work, I think two of our GFX guys may have mac pros. Everybody above a paygrade get's a smart phone (big wigs made it the iphone) and certain senior people also have tablets, ipads.

While the screen size of the phone can be a problem. For our corporate ap, and the multitude of other ones people use it's just fine. It works on the subway and people can read their emails and are connected 24/7. It just works for what they need, also fine for facebook and twitter and carries the games people want.

Typing and editing documents ehhh.... fail. But that's what the laptop is for and you aren't going to write a report on the subway or in your car so a smart phones inability to do that doesn't matter. And if you're just reading documents a tablet is perfectly good.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xytrius View Post
    You did come to the thread and read/post didn’t you?!
    No, I wanted to know why you thought this was news seeing as how it wasn't. None of the information is new, let alone breaking.

i am actually more interested in the apple seeking to bar samsung phones because samsung tried to bar ipad stuff than the new iphone O_o
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

No, I wanted to know why you thought this was news seeing as how it wasn't. None of the information is new, let alone breaking.
    I thought I answered your question; if you would want further clarifications, I also post on the site http://xtremespeakfreely.com – please start a thread there.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    Just my 2 cents.
    +1. For me, Smartphone is only for emailing activity -which a US$ 100 chinese knock off android phone will do quite ably. Browsing, multimedia, much else go with my Tablet these days, and serious bussines goes with my dual core lappie.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spursindonesia View Post
    +1. For me, Smartphone is only for emailing activity -which a US$ 100 chinese knock off android phone will do quite ably. Browsing, multimedia, much else go with my Tablet these days, and serious bussines goes with my dual core lappie.
    yeah, my cheapo Huwaei u8230 with a modded Cyanogenmod android 2.2 does everything I need from a smartphone, all the extra power from new phones is rendered useless by the tinny screen :\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

i fail to see how this isnt news? it covers something that is of concern or interest of many of the sites members, it is tech related...

if it's old news, then why wasn't it posted previously?

Xtreme Addict
    Apple:

New iPhone 5, with groundbreaking never ever seen before features such as...

-Dual core processor (first dual core processor on any electronic device ever)
    -Antenna for the bare hands (no more rubber covers)

and much much more brand new features...
    -make phone calls
    -send sms
    -browse webpages (that do not contain flash)
    -take photos and video

This is what you have been waiting for all your life since you bought iPhone 4, the iPhone 5! Forget your old iPhone 4 and take home this object of desire for just $1500,00*!
    (*8Gb version, for 16 Gb version: $2500,00)
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would like cursor control somehow. I hate trying to get the cursor to the right spot to correct anything. Especially if it picks the spot right next to the letter I want to fix. If it picks the letter to the right, I just delete both and re-type, but if it picks the letter to the left and I have to go right I am screwed. Have to put my finger down again, and usually no where near where I need to be, then drag the little spyglass around till it gets to where it needs to be again. Then lift my finger off without changing my pressure point and having the cursor skip again. One thing I wish caught on from Blackberries. There must be a way to get cursor movement functionality.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Xtreme Member
    Apple to launch a new iphone??? OMG that IS news.. who would have thought it be so. I mean lets forget the past 4 years.......

Seriously though, if it's bascially a 3GS but for an iphone 4 then Apple will only continue to slide. The reason why they are suing Samsung is because the GSII is light years ahead. Apple is really losing it's smartphone marketshare and i have not seen a single graph pointing otherwise.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Oh noes??! Could it be - a pink iPhone?
    Member of XS WCG since 2006-11-25

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by takamishanoku View Post
    Apple is really losing it's smartphone marketshare and i have not seen a single graph pointing otherwise.
    Huh? Based on handset (hardware) sales Apple is the leading smartphone seller in the US.
    Source: http://www.comscoredatamine.com/2011...artphone-oems/

It's only when you compare market share for operating systems that Andriod crushs iOS both in the US and worldwide. Since Andriod sales are distributed over so many manufactures no single company has that great of market share of handset sales.

So, think they'll get the antenna right this time?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by takamishanoku View Post
    Apple to launch a new iphone??? OMG that IS news.. who would have thought it be so. I mean lets forget the past 4 years.......

Seriously though, if it's bascially a 3GS but for an iphone 4 then Apple will only continue to slide. The reason why they are suing Samsung is because the GSII is light years ahead. Apple is really losing it's smartphone marketshare and i have not seen a single graph pointing otherwise.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying that. The next iPhone is bring the next iOS on top of having similar processor to the iPad 2, which last I knew out did Tegra 2 is some areas especially graphics.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xBanzai89 View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as saying that. The next iPhone is bring the next iOS on top of having similar processor to the iPad 2, which last I knew out did Tegra 2 is some areas especially graphics.
    ..running basically the same OS that was released in 2007..... Anyways i look forward to seeing what they come up with. iOS5 though is exactly why i jumped ship after 2 years; nothing new and actually copied alot from WP7 and android.

Xtreme Member
    iOS5? I thought it wasn't released yet .

Xtreme Addict
    well... I didnt know it was comming out, then again I'm not looking to buy a new phone any time soon....maybe.

because peps wanna get personal I'll add It's a phone humors me when people try to justify their opinion based statments about silly things.