Thread: Core i7 920, reaching the max OC!

Xtreme Member

Core i7 920, reaching the max OC!

Hey guys, I have a Core i7 920 (D0 stepping) cooled by a Coolermaster Hyper 212. My mobo is a EVGA X58 (758) using the latest SZ82 BIOS. I was able to run my system stable at 3570Mhz (170x21) with default voltages. Here were some of my settings:

CPU Vcore- AUTO

CPU Frequency- 3570Mhz (170x21)
    RAM Frequency- 1360Mhz (170x8)
    Vdimm- 1.5V
    CPU VTT Voltage- 1.15V (50mV)
    HT Disabled

Now Im trying to hit 3800Mhz (181x21) but my system seems to be auto restarting when running LinX. Here are some of the settings I have tried:

CPU Vcore- I tried 1.325V-1.34375V 
    CPU Frequency- 3800Mhz (181x21)
    RAM Frequency- 1448Mhz (181x8)
    Vdimm- 1.5V
    CPU VTT Voltage- I tried 1.15V (+50mV) to 1.20V (+100mV)
    HT Disabled
    Core Temperature readings (73, 72, 69, 68)

I ensured that the VTT is within 0.5 of Vdimm, and that VTT frequency is twice of Memory frequency. Temperatures are still within the 70's and hasn't hit 80C yet.

I mainly increased the Vcore and the VTT and it doesnt seem to be stable still.
    Any suggestions on how I can get stable 3.8Ghz? It seems like I like to pump alot of Vcore and still my my system isn't stable. Suggestions or changes I need to make in the BIOS? Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
    Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (Coolermaster Hyper 212)
    EVGA X58 3-SLI (132-BL-E758-A1)
    Corsair XMS3 Dominator 6GB (8-8-8-24)
    Corsair 850HX
    Diamond HD 6970 2GB
    Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

Xtreme Member
    The Xtreme Overclocking section is for top-end EXTREME overclocks and large achievements. Generally if you aren't at least on dry ice, this is the wrong section. If you have an absolutely EXCEPTIONAL air, water or single stage overclock, then it's acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by fl0w3n View Post
    Yes, backseat modding and being entirely unhelpful is the way to go on this one. Good call

@turok_t: You've posted this in the wrong forum (it should go in Intel) so perhaps notify a mod yourself would be a good idea.

To be honest, the voltage range you've tried to pass linx is not large enough. 1.34v really isn't all that much and then there's vdroop. My old 920 needed 1.38 to hit 4GHz bootable, for example. Did you stop because of temps? I tend to work down with x58. Perhaps work down from 1.4 vocre and 1.35vtt if temps don't get out of control.

Also, if you're looking to find max CPU stability, then you need to loosen your RAM timings / frequency (I'm not sure what they are / if they are already loose) to single out the CPU. This tends to be more of an issue with Prime95 though.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CedricFP View Post
    Yes, backseat modding and being entirely unhelpful is the way to go on this one. Good call

@turok_t: You've posted this in the wrong forum (it should go in Intel) so perhaps notify a mod yourself would be a good idea.

To be honest, the voltage range you've tried to pass linx is not large enough. 1.34v really isn't all that much and then there's vdroop. My old 920 needed 1.38 to hit 4GHz bootable, for example. Did you stop because of temps? I tend to work down with x58. Perhaps work down from 1.4 vocre and 1.35vtt if temps don't get out of control.

Also, if you're looking to find max CPU stability, then you need to loosen your RAM timings / frequency (I'm not sure what they are / if they are already loose) to single out the CPU. This tends to be more of an issue with Prime95 though.
    Meh there was a 3 character limit on posting, I'm used to 1 and a single period. It wasn't meant as an ellipse or sarcasm. I spend too much time on OCN telling people "you need more voltage", so I didn't feel like typing it out here lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?