Thread: News of The World to be shut down

Wanna look under my kilt?

News of The World to be shut down

I don't know if this has been reported internationally, but this newspaper and its parent company have had a VERY bad week.

There have been multiple reports & accusations that reporters for the paper, and their news "sources" hacked into the voicemail accounts of families of victims who died in the 7/7 London bombings (6th anniversary today,) the murdered schoolgirl Millie Dowler and families of service personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Millie Dowlers phone hacking received a very strong reaction from the public as the phone activity at the time gave her parents (false) hope she was still alive.

There have also been claims that the newspaper has paid Police Officers for information.

Since all this came out, sponsors of the paper have jumped ship en masse and the UK government has said it wants multiple investigations into the papers behaviour (its rare in the UK for political figureheads to knock newspapers for fear of backlash)

This evening, its been announced that this Sundays edition of the paper will be its last.

A Link, there's plenty on Google:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...g-scandal.html

Personal comment: I am DELIGHTED this has happened. The UK tabloids are a disease and I sincerely hope this is the beginning of changes
    Last edited by K404; 07-07-2011 at 09:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

PI in the face
    yay something bad happening outside the USA for once (not happy it happen just saying)
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

and hopefuly the whole news corp follows its overseas subsidiary
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    makes no difference, it's weekday (and Saturday) paper "The Sun", will take over the Sunday edition with all the staff. in fact, News Corp (the parent company for the Murdochs) have already procured "thesunonsunday.com". It's basically a business decision.

Xtreme Addict
    So the company is folding to be renamed as something else to limit its exposer. Wonderful. Hopefully they will still investigate the company and weed out all the people that are doing this.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Quote Originally Posted by deathman20 View Post
    So the company is folding to be renamed as something else to limit its exposer. Wonderful. Hopefully they will still investigate the company and weed out all the people that are doing this.
    the murdochs do crap like this with all of their media outlets, so unless u kill news corp this will keep going on.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For a split second I considered buying a copy on sunday, as it's their last... I soon slapped myself silly for even thinking such nonsense. Disgraceful "paper", never read it, never will. I only use the term paper as it describes what it is printed on, I in no way consider it to be a "news"paper.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the murdochs do crap like this with all of their media outlets, so unless u kill news corp this will keep going on.
    I think even killing News Corp would still leave the Murdochs with billions in the bank to start another media empire so better off to get the Murdochs instead.

Xtreme Mentor
    So wait a few weeks and a 'newspaper named the Sunday sun will be out instead. No biggie. Just marketing. They arent stupid? Xx
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    So wait a few weeks and a 'newspaper named the Sunday sun will be out instead. No biggie. Just marketing. They arent stupid? Xx
    The people who would purchase this "news" product don't really care. Team Murdoch knows their target audience.

Banned
    this seems to be the right thread for this

http://www.zazzle.com/iphone_4_cover...12183815381997

Xtreme Mentor
    I really feel sorry for the people who had their privacy invaded, but I hope this starts a serious investigation of News Corps practices around the world...

IMHO Murdoch and News Corp have NO JOURNALISTIC integrity whatsoever!
    From what I've seen they have an obvious agenda to push extreme right wing/neocon views reguardless of the outlet (see Faux (FOX) News in the US).
    Seems they will hammer disinformation regurdless of facts to forward their cause, and the sad part is uninformed people eat it up as gospil...
    I mean after all, Their "Fair and Balanced" right?

The other sad thing about Murdoch's media outlets is that it's almost becoming a monoploly....
    No one man or corporation should have that much power, especially when it comes to news and information without integrity!

As sad as it is, there are alot of people who don't even bother to question what hey hear...
    Whether it comes from News sources, or forwarded E-Mails!

Examples:
    Albert Einstien was a Christian who told off his proffesor when he questioned the existance of God.
    Bald Eagles go to a mountain top at age 30 and rip off their beaks/tallons and feathers so they can live another 30 yrs.
    President Obama is a secret Muslim born in Kenya.
    Universal Health care will have death panels for Grandma. Even though the Ryan plan makes that senario MUCH more possible!

/end Rant

The internet/media is a great source of information. It's just sad that alot of people believe everything the watch/read without doing their own research....
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Addict
    going to be replaced with a "new" newspaper

i don't see them leaving this market, afterall there are ALOT of uneducated people waiting to be transformed into willingless slaves there to support the cause of the superrich...
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Mentor
    i wonder about the skill of hacker they hired
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Banned
    this seems to be the right thread for this post,

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...2F&h=VAQBj8RfB

YouTube Addict
    I am concerned of what possible ripples that this may in fact cause. A government with the power to shutdown a tabloid, also has the power to shutdown legitimate criticism of government policy.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Government didn't shut down the paper and UK Government has asked for an independent enquiry. I don't think this is a problem right now
    Last edited by K404; 07-09-2011 at 08:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

:)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    Examples:
    Albert Einstien was a Christian who told off his proffesor when he questioned the existance of God.
    Bald Eagles go to a mountain top at age 30 and rip off their beaks/tallons and feathers so they can live another 30 yrs.
    President Obama is a secret Muslim born in Kenya.
    Universal Health care will have death panels for Grandma
    LOL, those examples are hilarious. That people actually believe them (why?)... isn't.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill 2133MHz 9-11-10-28| ASUS DCII GTX 580 | Samsugn 256GB 830 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, Hitachi 1TB | Noctua NH-D14 | Seasonic X750

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by PatRaceTin View Post
    The word "hacking" was overused in this story, all they used was basic social engineering. A lot of what I suspect they did wasn't even illegal in the states until a few years ago, and honestly I'm not sure it's illegal in the UK even now. Disgraceful and wrong, sure, but not necessarily illegal. And that will become a point of contention when it comes down to arresting some of the people responsible for doing the actual grunt work, and why we'll likely never see much/any news of them being arrested.

If I'm not mistaken the popular money isn't on NoW reforming with a new name to sidestep bad PR, it's actually so that the Murdoch's are more likely to win their bid for BSkyB which is a far, far more lucrative opportunity than the NoW. It was pretty much in the bag until this really started heating up for them and closing NoW may be what shows them to be "responsible" and will help ensure that the deal goes through despite the bad PR.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Member
    being a UK resident i never buy those kind of newspapers (sun, NOTW, the star, etc) i see them as the kind of crap that uneducated gossips read. people that have nothing better to do with their time than talk about what other people (or celebs) are doing....they're just hello magazine but less glossy. No useful news!

however, i think the NOTW shutting down is a bad thing! because of this, nobody will take responsibility. people may not be able to sue them and Murdok will keep his money.
    they probably only shut it down for that reason!

people need to pay!
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    News Corp Execs may have been deleting potential evidence for a little while now: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...-international

Small snippet of the article.
    Police are investigating evidence that a News International executive may have deleted millions of emails from an internal archive in an apparent attempt to obstruct Scotland Yard's inquiry into the phone-hacking scandal.

The archive is believed to have reached back to January 2005, revealing daily contact between News of the World editors, reporters and outsiders, including private investigators. The messages are potentially highly valuable both for the police and for the numerous public figures who are suing News International (NI).

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    I really feel sorry for the people who had their privacy invaded, but I hope this starts a serious investigation of News Corps practices around the world...

IMHO Murdoch and News Corp have NO JOURNALISTIC integrity whatsoever!
    100% agree.Murdoch and Ailes are destroying media integrety

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Addict
    I feel like an IDIOT for not knowing what this magazine proliferates into your community. I have no connection, but feel deep sympathy for you all.

Cheers,

Jod

Quote Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post
    I feel like an IDIOT for not knowing what this magazine proliferates into your community. I have no connection, but feel deep sympathy for you all.

Cheers,

Jod
    u know how fox news runs, well picture that but mixed with tmz and thats news corp in the UK

I am Xtreme
    What a terrible loss for the uberly bored housewifes...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    I am concerned of what possible ripples that this may in fact cause. A government with the power to shutdown a tabloid, also has the power to shutdown legitimate criticism of government policy.
    The Government didn't shut them down, Murdoch shut it down because of the reputation damage they brought onto themself.

Quote Originally Posted by PatRaceTin View Post
    Little to none, most of it was accessing mobile phone voicemails of people who didn't change the default password.
    Last edited by naokaji; 07-11-2011 at 01:58 AM.