Thread: CCC Sucks...

Xtreme Member

CCC Sucks...

Every few months they update CCC and move everything around. I am not quite sure why, I think they do it because they like to confuse us. Ever time I have to dig and dig to find display scaling because the dumb thing always defaults to underscan on my display. Just updated to 11.6 and am once again digging for that setting while I stare at a one inch black frame. I just ordered a new card, a 6870. What was I thinking... a few more years of this!

Far as I can tell they either left display scaling out of this driver or found a really good place to hide it from me this time.

*edit* after opening and closing CCC many times, a "my digital flat panel" category magically appeared with the scaling options within.
    Last edited by Jakalwarrior; 07-04-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    E7200 @ 4.0ghz 1.29vcore
    2x 6870
    OCZ 4gb @ 5-4-4-12 846mhz

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakalwarrior View Post
    Every few months they update CCC and move everything around. I am not quite sure why, I think they do it because they like to confuse us. Ever time I have to dig and dig to find display scaling because the dumb thing always defaults to underscan on my display. Just updated to 11.6 and am once again digging for that setting while I stare at a one inch black frame. I just ordered a new card, a 6870. What was I thinking... a few more years of this!

Far as I can tell they either left display scaling out of this driver or found a really good place to hide it from me this time.

*edit* after opening and closing CCC many times, a "my digital flat panel" category magically appeared with the scaling options within.
    Read up
    http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/113

And it doesnt suck. The new version is more intuitive than what I can remember from NVIDIA Control Panel, though I havent owned NVIDIA since G80.

They updated so they could be more user-friendly to those who own Fusion chips and will be running AMD video drivers. Its a much better interface than the old CCC. (Now VCC)
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I agree it can be a little cumbersome at times but the new version is a great update. You can try RadeonPro or ATT if it's still around, haven't tried it since X19xx days...
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

First thing I do is set it to advanced mode... left click on display and find that setting... cant be easier.

Banned
    I just cant understand why they set underscan as default.Every time i install/reinstall driver, or do some messing around with screens.I have to set it to 0%.Why in the world its set at -20% def ?
    And yes, ccc after they moved it to NET to be shiny started to piss me off.And yes, i use ATT, but it hasnt got all the settings i need :/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by XRL8 View Post
    I just cant understand why they set underscan as default.Every time i install/reinstall driver, or do some messing around with screens.I have to set it to 0%.Why in the world its set at -20% def ?
    And yes, ccc after they moved it to NET to be shiny started to piss me off.And yes, i use ATT, but it hasnt got all the settings i need :/
    I'm guessing they do it that way because most TVs automatically overscan the picture. I've had some HDTVs that will only display with overscan, and others that will optionally do 1:1 pixels. The latter definitely being, by far, the least common and best for PCs. I stick with Sony because they seem to consistently give you the option.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 07-05-2011 at 03:36 AM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Mentor
    sometime in XP

ccc was mess my resolution
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    I'm guessing they do it that way because most TVs automatically overscan the picture. I've had some HDTVs that will only display with overscan, and others that will optionally do 1:1 pixels. The latter definitely being, by far, the least common and best for PCs. I stick with Sony because they seem to consistently give you the option.

--Matt
    I get a feeling that was the case few years ago, however all TVs ive connected recently get underscanned by default :/ .Panasonic and samsung.It would seem more apropriate to give an OPTION of underscan and do default on 1:1.

c[_]
    cant say i've ever seen a tv overscan by default, though i've seen a lot scale by default which made for a pretty bad image lots of the time.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

:)
    Lol, I remember having to do this with my HD 4770 every Windows re-install or on some driver updates.... which is why I rarely updated drivers. It is pretty annoying having to have to reset it to 1:1; the TV overscanning doesn't do it justice for me (why not just keep it at 1:1 and give the option to underscan as XRL8 said).
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill 2133MHz 9-11-10-28| ASUS DCII GTX 580 | Samsugn 256GB 830 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, Hitachi 1TB | Noctua NH-D14 | Seasonic X750

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayras View Post
    Lol, I remember having to do this with my HD 4770 every Windows re-install or on some driver updates.... which is why I rarely updated drivers. It is pretty annoying having to have to reset it to 1:1; the TV overscanning doesn't do it justice for me (why not just keep it at 1:1 and give the option to underscan as XRL8 said).
    tv overscan/underscan uses built-in scaler as well which increases display latency.

Using the card to do underscan/overscan wont increase display latency as much or at all.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

:)
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    tv overscan/underscan uses built-in scaler as well which increases display latency.

Using the card to do underscan/overscan wont increase display latency as much or at all.
    That makes sense -learn something new everyday-, but I wasn't using a TV and it still did it, lol. Never happened with my 8600 GTS or 460 GTX, oh well.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill 2133MHz 9-11-10-28| ASUS DCII GTX 580 | Samsugn 256GB 830 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, Hitachi 1TB | Noctua NH-D14 | Seasonic X750