Thread: What kind of resistors for Vdimm mod (0.4W or 1W or...?)

Xtreme Member

What kind of resistors for Vdimm mod (0.4W or 1W or...?)

Hello everyone,

I'd like to try a Vdimm mod on Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 mobo as shown in this pic

But 3.13-3.2V is too much for my 2.6V Kingston Value Ram (2.7V atm), so I'd like to add resistors of 100 and 690 Ohms in order to reduce it to about 2.8V.

Please tell me what kind of resistors to use here? Or perhaps resistor wattage doesn't matter?

Thank You in advance!

Alex
    Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there

IT Engineer in the making
    Bad idea, regardless of the resistor rating. That mod looks like it just shorts the 3.3V rail to Vdimm. That means your resistor would be in the direct current path.

And why the hell would you want to use that mod for 2.8V anyway. A good old fashioned vmod, influencing the opamp or whatever controls vdimm would be the way to go for such a small voltage bump.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Member
    Thanx for the comment and suggestion. Could you, please, be a bit more specific about that other way of doing it, so I know what to google for? Thanx again!

10 seconds + google = http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...voltmods/130/3

The one on the bottom is the mod you need. The keyword is "variable".

Xtreme Member
    I knew about that mod already. I just didn't think it was easy (at least not for me) so I decided to go with the 3.2V one instead (with resistors). But after reading your first post, looks like i'll just go and try to do this mod with variable resistor anyway... assuming I find one. So variable resistor of 500 Ohm works best I see. How many watts by the way? 0.5W maybe?

Thanx again

If you'd like to see a resistor go up in flames you could still try what you first intended to do.

What you want is a multiturn trimmer potentiometer and those are anything but hard to get. And don't worry about the wattage. You don't influence the direct current path, but just really low power signals, controlling the current path. That means there is very little current flowing through the trimmer, which means that any trimmer should do.
    BUT, be sure to get a multiturn model, or there'll be a high probability to kill your RAM.