Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-X58A-OC = The Bclk Dreamer's Secret Weapon Of Choice!

Xtreme Enthusiast

GA-X58A-OC = The Bclk Dreamer's Secret Weapon Of Choice!

GA-X58A-OC = The Bclk Dreamer's Secret Weapon Of Choice!

Hi Guys - Long time no see!!!

So, I've been working on my review of the X58A-OC motherboard quite intricately, and for a very long time, and thought I'd give you all a nice preview of what's to come. I'm sorry it's been so long since you've heard from me but there's just been some things on the home-front have put me way behind is all, so I haven't had a chance to be online for a while. PM me for more info if you wanna chat about it - it's nothing serious though. Anyway, thought I'd drop in a little hint of my review before I have it finished up - which will hopefully be later this week.

I've been super excited to be working on the OC board review in general, but I've been even more excited since this past week's Bclk testing - I've been dying to share some of these results from the uber cool X58A-OC motherboard with you guys. I know from my previous Bclk testing with other CPU's for my review that the OC board can deliver some massive Bclk's, but WOW, I had no clue how much it could do until I dropped in an unsuspecting CPU!!!

I had not tested this CPU's Bclk-ability for a very long time, since way back when 222 was the going limit on many boards without doing a hard mod, and even then I think I could only get 231 or so out of it. I'm so glad I decided to play with this CPU for a while last week, it has proven to handle a much higher Bclk than any of my other processors. This old C0/C1 920 CPU and the X58A-OC board blast out very impressive results, and this is only on phase cooling too. I haven't had a chance to test this CPU on this board with dry ice yet, but I hope to do that soon now that I've seen these results, and I suspect I'll be able to reach 275 or higher possibly!!

In my review I will include a video for anyone who may think these results are from the Bclk going crazy as you reach the limit of stability, as this is for sure not going on here as I've not seen that with this CPU yet, and normally that puts your Bclk into the 300's anyway. The video I'll be using shows me in the BIOS at 133 Bclk, setting 255 and booting to windows, then upping the Bclk to 265!!! I made the video back when 265 was all I could do, but since then I've tested and found a few tweaks that helped me to push it a little further, if I find the time to make a new video of 133 to 255 and then to 268+ I'll use it in the review instead.

Anyway, that's enough yappin on an on time for some results!!

Hardware Used:
    GIGABYTE GA-X58A-OC
    Intel i7-920 C0/C1 ES (And NO, this is not a golden sample - not even close)
    Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz 998679 - 2x2GB
    PNY FX5500 128MB PCI (Probably not needed - used out of habit I suppose)
    Crucial C300 128 GB SSD
    NZXT Hale90 750W PSU
    Custom Built Phase Change Setup By Sdumper @ OCN / XS

All of the above results are my higher Validations for this CPU, for now, and I'm hiding those last few as I plan to only share my highest result as part of my review.

For now, here are some results that are a bit under the max I've reached as those will be part of my review.

268.48 Bclk 4C/8T

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1889303

Update!! (Decided to post my best because I'm submitting this article for a news post)

269.28 Bclk 4c/8t

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1889309

http://hwbot.org/submission/2187034_..._oc_269.28_mhz

Update 2!!

275+ Bclk

Just smashed the current world record, here's a sneak peak (IE Not my highest)! Also made a video booting at 260 and then going up to 275 in windows

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Current X58 HWBot records

Hardware news, Overclocking Competitions, Reviews

250 PI 32MB

Click to enlarge - This is not tweaked, nor max GHz, just showing the ease & usability of high Bclk for 2D benches, and again, this is not the max I've been able to run so far either as seen above.

For anyone who is thinking of upgrading their current 1366 board, or looking to move into 1366 territory, then I'd seriously suggest that you take a look at Gigabyte's GA-X58A-OC, this board is the best 1366 board I've ever had the honor to play with and it's been nothing but a pleasure!!!

This board is simply awesome, that's all I've been able to say to myself over and over again, the X58A-OC has been impressive beyond belief!

Full review will follow shortly, hopefully this week!!

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap
    I felt I needed to add this in, I see many people commenting that this is a golden or binned CPU. In reality it's more like the exact opposite, this was likely a bottom of the barrel and that's why it was sent my way to learn with!

To anyone thinking this is a binned CPU, it FOR SURE IS NOT!!!

This CPU was sent my way back when X58 came out, and was only sent to me so that I could learn X58 to better be able to help others with their issues. This CPU is for sure not a golden or binned sample, it can barely do 5.2Ghz. It's been sitting on my shelf unused for a long time because I have other newer better CPU's, and it's been sitting due to that and because this is one of the early ones with locked memory multipliers at 8/10.

I am not an extreme enough overclocker to be sent binned or cherry picked CPU's, far from it!!

Bclk is all about the CPU though, my other 2 can't go this high on Bclk but then can do MUCH better overall Ghz. If anyone wants to send me a 920 for testing I'll be up for testing it, otherwise don't comment that I need to test retail as there is no point really because this CPU is the same or worse than retail (Likely much worse since it's early C0/C1 and locked memory multi's). I can't afford to bin, and no one is binning for me because I'm not a record breaking extreme overclocker, I only have access to Phase and Dry Ice, binned CPU's and cherry picked samples end up in the hands of extreme LN2 users whom are known for breaking important records such as 3DMark, PCMark, ect.

So to sum it up, this is NOT a Golden, NOT Cherry Picked, and NOT hand picked sample!! This is a run of the mill, sub-average overclocking, very early sample, only sent my way to learn X58 (Overclocking was not in mind at all). It's only luck of the draw that this CPU can do high Bclk's, and you get that luck of the draw with any CPU, that's all it can do is high Bclk and I only found that out by luck in choosing to dig out this CPU and give it a try again (it could only do 231 Bclk previously on UD4P).
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-12-2011 at 06:29 AM.

I am Xtreme
    that is teh highest BLCk with this board, and its sick. It says you did a 265 1M Pi?

Brilliant Idiot
    How is the board in 32m @ optimal cpu/uncore/ram frequencies with triple channel and does the effeciency scale linear from lets say 245 bclk and beyond.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    How is the board in 32m @ optimal cpu/uncore/ram frequencies with triple channel and does the effeciency scale linear from lets say 245 bclk and beyond.
    I am interested as well. Some boards keep the blck rising, but the efficiency goes to . :couch:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    that is teh highest BLCk with this board, and its sick. It says you did a 265 1M Pi?
    That's all on phase too, and the highest I've reached it not shown too as I plan to put that in my review.

Yep, yep! 265 PI 1MB, can probably do higher too just never tried yet

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I'm not really sure man, sorry! I haven't played with this CPU in a year or more, so not even sure what it can do as far as GHz / PI 32MB, and so I haven't pushed it to high speeds yet at high Bclks to test and see because I'm not even sure of it's limits at low Bclks (it may not even go very high freq-wise as it is an old C0/C1). When I have time I will play with all of that and let you know.

I am Xtreme
    very interesting

good job lsd

nice Bclk in slow mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    i think you are asking the wrong person about safety limits, but

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    very interesting

good job lsd
    Thanks Honda!

Quote Originally Posted by hiwa View Post
    nice Bclk in slow mode.
    Thanks Hiwa, yes of course that is slow mode. There isn't any boards that can do 260+ without slow mode is there?

I am Xtreme
    Very nice work there ...Now get a few more samples and see if they go up as high too...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

You are a sick man.. my god! Nice score....

Xtreme Mentor
    does + / - button help?
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Very nice work there ...Now get a few more samples and see if they go up as high too...
    Thanks man! Haha, I would if I could afford some more samples! It's mainly the CPU though I think, I could get a few other CPU's pretty high too but not close to these 920 results. I need to test this 920 in my UD7 now and see how it acts there.

Quote Originally Posted by map01ch View Post
    You are a sick man.. my god! Nice score....
    Thanks man, most appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by PatRaceTin View Post
    does + / - button help?
    Yes the +/- buttons work great and often help more than SetFSB. I used it for my Bclk video that will be in my review, but for these results I was using SetFSB only because my phase and board was setup about 4-5 feet away from me, so it wasn't ideal to use them this time around while trying to also hit F7 for the validations.

So, yes the +/- do work great, and can push it a bit further than software at times, and it applies quicker that way too!

I am Xtreme
    vtt?
    vioh?
    pcie?
    temps?

thanks

Devil kept pokin'
    The 920 does need a new home....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    vtt?
    vioh?
    pcie?
    temps?

thanks
    vtt = 1.7
    vioh = 1.34/1.36
    pcie = 122-125
    temps = -42-44C CPU (IOH not sure, just air cooled so probably 38-45 or so)

Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    The 920 does need a new home....
    Haha, yes it does! Currently it's more new play toy, still have some plans for other testing with it shortly

I am Xtreme
    thanks lsd u the best

i have a 920 to test the x0c with

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    vtt = 1.7

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Haha, that's not very high (I run 1.5-1.6 on water for memory reviews)

I am Xtreme
    i remember 1.65v vtt when they introduced x58 lol that was fun times...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Some memory kits come programmed at 1.6-1.7 Vtt, and while yes that is a high amount, I do think it's ok as long as you keep the memory voltage inline (IE above Vtt).
    QPI/Vtt Voltage post (High is OK)

Plus in this instance we are using -40C temps, so it's a bit safer due to that too (I've had it higher than 1.7 but it wasn't helping so I backed down and tried other things)

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Excellent bclock LSD

My 2nd i7 920 scaled all the way to 1.7V on cold water, but it was C0....the highest I've seen D0 scale was 1.65V on DI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Excellent bclock LSD

My 2nd i7 920 scaled all the way to 1.7V on cold water, but it was C0....the highest I've seen D0 scale was 1.65V on DI.
    Thanks man!! I hope to take it higher this weekend with some dry ice, hopefully I'll at least be able to squeeze out a few more bclk!

Ya this one is C0 too, I took up up past 1.7 Vtt but it wasn't helping much more, I think maybe 1.68-1.72 ended up being optimal but maybe that will change with colder temps - hope so

I am Xtreme
    last q

what was vdimm?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No problem!

Vdimm doesn't really apply though, unless you are concerned with the Vtt amount, but I believe I was using 1.74 or 1.76 and only had it set that high as I planned on pushing Vtt up pretty high

Xtreme Member
    Good to see you back alive and kickin

Sick BCLK results, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast