Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: All things must come to an end eventually

Brilliant Idiot

All things must come to an end eventually

I'm not even sure where to start.

I guess way back at the beginning is a good place.

In a galaxy far far away, wait thats not it......It all started back in the 939 days, the good old days before core 2 duo. An engineer from ATI took me under his wing by the name of grayskull, I guess he saw some hidden talent or something of that sort and quicker than i realized it I was working on ATI 480 and 580 ref boards code named grouper and manta. Unfortunately the time and heyday of 939 + ATI chipsets was short lived with leaks of core 2 duo coming out. At that point in time I decided to go into hibernation.

Enter phenom II and an event hosted by some big names at least to me, Simon Solotko, Matt Davis and Sammi Makinen. At this event I met these key individuals played with a few rigs and discussed the possibility of making a return. Of course in my mind they were just being polite as I'm sure they have heard the same stories before and would forget all about me the next day. To my surprise and probably with some work they were observing on the forums I was doing I was contacted in short time and the adventure once again began.

The adventure went on and on and on, longer than i ever imagined.....AMD Austin, CES, Black Ops, My induction to the ROG team which does many events and another CES trip which turned out to be a combo trip along with a recent trip to AMD of which i was immediately wisked off to an ASUS event. The hardware changed alot and almost felt like it was being thrown at me many times, quite often I found myself just staring at a pile of new hardware wondering how I was ever going to get everything done but i plodded on like a tortoise and somehow managed it. Quite often the amount of work needing to be done was overwhelming and many times it begins to take over your life, especially with new product launches.

This adventure took many twists and turns many which albeit if your standing on the other side of the fence it looked like heaven. I can assure you it's not all fun and games, the grass is not always greener and many times roses just straight up smeel like poo. I won't go into detail but anyone that ventures down the path that i have gone down where you deal with multiple competing companies......well lets just say that you can certianly get caught in the crossfire. Remember this if only this, if you ever have the oppurtunity your integrity is at stake and it's the only thing that truly matters. If you can manage to keep your integrity and still retain your sanity it's nothing short of a miracle. Once you sacrifice your integrity you can and will get dropped by any company like a bad habit. It's been quite the roller coaster ride for sure.

The good the bad the ugly,
    I was told at the very beginning that the path I was headed down would be a lonely one. This could not be more true. while I made friends along the way I made twice as many enemies, many respected me but did not like me....

I came off abrasive many times and that is attributed to my tough love teaching/helping approach. When i was growing up this is how I learned, if someone hands you something you never learn the how and the why. While my approach may be frowned upon by many those that tolerated it and actually learned something can look back and appreciate the fact that they don't need someone giving them the answers all the time.

Now the real question, why leave? I have heard rumours that I was dropped, in bad standing with companies and fortunately for me this is not the case save for intel ( I was never in good standing with them, wonder why ). I have heard other rumours that XXX company wanted to hire me. None of it's true. How could you give it all up, look at all the hardware......for me I was never in it for the hardware or the money. If someone wants change they have to reach out and grab it. I saw a defeciency in products, I reached out to companies in an effort to change/fix it.

Could I return someday? Maybe. Unfortunately it won't be anytime soon. Life is calling, the family is calling, they want me back.
    My long term goal was to work my ass ofg and end up with a job with one of the manufacturers, unfortunately the oppurtunity has not arrised so I need to find something else which at that point between the family and a job something has to go and overclocking is it.

If I do anything in the near future it will just be to help AMD with a few last things.......but other than that this is preety much goodbye.

Lastly I would like to thank all the companies who trusted and believed and supported me along the way, without them there would be no me. ( god knows I can barely rub pennies together )
    Corsair, AMD, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Gskill to name the key players.
    Last edited by chew*; 06-30-2011 at 07:16 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

It was fun...

Thanks for the things you were willing to help me with. It was and is much appreciated. I was along for but a small portion of the ride, thanks for helping make a lot of potentially less than fun situations -- fun.

Get done what you need to -- all this stuff and most of the people will be here when you get back.
    If there's anything I want to be remembered for in overclocking -- it's not the cool evaporators or cool designs, it's not the teamwork on record breaking benchmarks or events... it's the bringing back of beef jerky as a viable overclocking tool and general man-fuel.

Pie assassin
    Brian,

You have been a great source of inspiration and knowledge for myself and the community, your presence will be greatly missed.

*much respect
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    Thanks for the things you were willing to help me with. It was and is much appreciated. I was along for but a small portion of the ride, thanks for helping make a lot of potentially less than fun situations -- fun.

Get done what you need to -- all this stuff and most of the people will be here when you get back.
    I agree with Aaron here.

So much life crap gets involved also.

Hang in there man and you know my number, call anytime

*much respect to both Zen & Aaron also

I remember back in the day when TWKR's were all the rage. I made a comment on the forums about how one would work with my new at the time Cascade. Next thing I knew brian sent a MB & TWKR, about blew my mind.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 06-30-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    your a stand up guy Brian and I wish you luck in all your future endeavors

you have been very valuable asset to this community, don't stay gone too long

Xtreme Addict
    Best of luck in whatever you do in the future. Spend some quality time with your family now.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Much respect Man! Always appreciated your input and all the work you did. You took a lot of time to help those on XS Enjoy the family, hope all is well.
    Last edited by charged3800z24; 06-30-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Xtreme Member
    Brian, i just want to personally thank you for your hard work and dedication to this community and industry. Without you and teamROG, i would not be where i am now. we have truly innovated on many marketing tactics that is a industry trend and non of that could have been done without you. As a partner and a friend, thank you.

Xtreme Mentor
    You'll be missed Brian....

I've been right here with you from the beginning of the Phenom era and seen all the work you've put in.
    Often I've wondered if you were just an OC God that all the skills just came to, or if you were actually
    devoting that much of your life to acheive the results you've show. In the end, I knew it was probably the latter,
    and hoped you were being finacially compensated for it...

You've given me quite a few lessons just from seeing what you've been able to do, and offered personal
    assistance at times too. THANK YOU!

I've also seen alot of people rag on you for not sharing everything you know.
    The fact of the matter is, all gear is different, it takes hard work and hands on experience to tweak your own rig!
    Your hard nose teaching skill taught me that too, and I for one appreciate it....

Don't be a complete stranger man, Stop in once in awhile if you can to say hey!

Good Luck with Lifes adventures, and take care Bro......... Dave
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

retire in prosperity

thx for all the hard work of breaking in the amd parts so we were not saddled with the only choice of intel. and for the great advice with how to clock ram.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast

Xtreme Mentor
    +5

Leave it to Simon to come up with the perfect image....
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme 3D Team
    Brian, I hate to see you go.

You, Simon, Aaron have done a lot for me, and without you I don't think this community would be half as useful as it is now. You help us get better products at the expense of your own time, your life.

I hope you stick around in the forum, stop by every once in a while...you may not OC anymore but you give great advice. I feel that is the thing that will be missed the most, at least by myself.
    You helped me out personally and took the time to help solve problems with everyone.

See you at your triumphant return,
    Beeps

PS:
    I've learned a lot from you. You've tolerated my mindless babbling and useless threads and turned them into (rather tough as you say) very useful experiences. I know quite a bit more now about Thubans IMC than I did before...due to you. I've made gains in SuperPi efficiency...due to you. I continue to overclock because of you. That 890GX board is still running with an overclocked Athlon II 210e...I'm still working on that. I hope I can work as hard as you to achieve the same goal...my dream growing up here is to do something with tech for the future, whether thats a job with Gigabyte/ASUS, becoming an IT Admin or starting my own shop, I'll always be around building and overclocking. If I have to resort to overclocking the lowest of low end, that will happen too. You've taught me that its more fun to go that way.

Now that I've written a book, good luck with the rest of your life. Thank you for the knowledge and hardware.

You will be missed.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 06-30-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    sad to see you leave but your reasoning is well worded and understood. i hope that things turn around for you and if not that where ever lives takes will be a better for you. i understand very well were you are coming from about the learning/ teaching thing.

either way, the community lost a valuable asset.

Xtreme Member
    Man, I'm a bit at a loss of words... After seeing your posts everywhere and your extensive knowledge played out in the forums, I'm sad to see you go, but sometimes ya gotta move on... Take the passion that you brought into these forums and bring it to your family. Someone else will fill your boots here eventually, but nobody can fill your boots at home. Peace and big love man!

Desktop (and Cruncher #1):AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.03Ghz | Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P (F8n) | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB @ 9-9-9-24-1T 1680MHz | Radeon HD 5850 & 5830 | Silverstone ST75F 750W | 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 3x1TB WD RE3 (Raid 5) | Lian Li PC-A70B
    Cruncher (#2): Intel Core I7 920 (stock) | EVGA X58 SLI | G.Skill Pi 3x2GB | 2x Radeon HD 6870 | Corsair HX850 | Some Janky HDD | LanCool PC-K7
    Cruncher (#3): Intel Core I7 2600k (stock) | BioStar TH67+ | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB | Antec Basiq550 | Some Janky HDD | Antec 300
    Server: Intel Atom | 2x2GB DDR3 | ThermalRight TR2-430 | Some Less Janky Laptop HDD | Fractal Core-1000
    Mobile: Lenovo X120e

I am Xtreme
    damnit..im just starting with amd

it was awesome spending good times with yu bud.

Banned Movieman...
    I knew this was coming between live streams and the things you posted here. It will be sad to see you go. Hope you will come back.

Xtreme Addict
    thanks man, good luck and stop by again when you can

I am Xtreme
    Good luck B, keep in touch on MSN and maybe some fun fragging in the battlefield arena At least you are a man of your word !!

Hope to see ya back soon !
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 06-30-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Best of luck buddy and hope you find what you are looking for. Your posts have been a lot of learning for me and I am sure for many others on this site.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Such a shame to see you leave the world of OCing.But maybe one day you will return and all of this will be waiting for you to dominate it again .Until then,good luck in life chew*,stay well.

Ohhh no man! :-(

Thanks to you, I began with overclocking, love to HW and u was (are) for me some as AMD god :-), who knows everything. I read most of yours threads at XS and hanging on information. I really hope, u find sometimes some time and fancy write some comment here. I believe, family, work and real life is more important, but still hope for your love to hardware and comunity, maybe once to week some time here ,-)? Once again, thank you from my side and from side all work, what u have done! Srry for my ENG .

PS:who now will be AMD teacher for us? And new FX without you? Nooooo
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

I was once a newcomer to the scene.

You, Aaron, and Simon took me under your wings in Austin, to give me an experience that blew everything else out of the water.

Fast forward two years.

I spawned a blog, a youtube page, a hwbot account, and thousands of forum posts. The fun followed. Subzero cooling, burnt silicon, sparks, greasy mobo's, and countless piles of hardware overwhelming my basement. I can attribute this to all of you guys. And I can never thank you all enough for the experience provided.

Brian it was your ability to show me how to learn for myself that gave me my own drive towards this game. I do not think I will ever give up this hobby now. You provided the groundwork for something that will grow from here on out. I want to say a big thank you for all of that. I hope to work with you again sometime in the future.

All that being said, life does call. The countless hours you put in will not be forgotten around here that's for sure. Not only was that crazy overclocking results, but that was help and support for the community. I hope when you can step back and breathe you will one day be able to return.

Take it easy,

Matt

PS: You taught me patience and methodology. These have become one of the biggest essentials to my past few cold sessions. Thank you for the efficiency. But until next time I'll be squeezing out every last MHz.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Slappa; 07-01-2011 at 12:35 AM.

And...my new CPU is one from your days...I got it from my friend.
    s6303442y.jpg
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

I am Xtreme
    A pity no company you worked your ass off for decided to just hire you to do the things you do now. Taking things for granted is a problem.

But, you made the right call: family.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast