Thread: ehhh cruncher needs some coding help

Xtreme Enthusiast

ehhh cruncher needs some coding help

Okies now my boss is kinda tollerant I get to run wcg on our main server (2600 non k sandy) and well another amd x2. But now he wants me to write his website, all fine and great I know the basics of html, it shouldn't be a problem with some reading except for one thing. he wants the workers which are html illeterate to be able to just log in and add pictures descriptions and well so on. now before a few years ago I just had blank spots and I had them write the description in paint and name the images desc 1 and picture 1 etc. this will not do.
    I would like to be able to let them log-in to a master site, basically a mirror of the basic pages and click on buttons to add pictures type in descriptions and well as thumbnails for each picture and description combo. and I want that page to add the data, like the name of the picture and the description either in a database my html pages draw from and the browser loads or have the master pages automatically rewrite my the published pages. Now how do I go about doing that can you fellow crunchers point me in the right direction?
    terramir

terra= (lat.)world mir=(russ.) peace
    BTW that girl is my version of muddflap on my stacy common artwork not obcene (for the censors out there)

of the Strawhat crew.
    You could use a CMS (Content Management System) instead of coding it yourself. The one I've used is Joomla! and you can set it up to allow multiple people with different permissions to do different things.

http://www.joomla.org/

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i prefer to have several options to pick from anyone else know how i could do this ? Because i really think it would be great if i could give them the simplest option possible, on another note the server is unix based then again i could write a command liine script to uplolad and rename picture and files in windows so they could post the pictures and descriptions this way but i prefer to make it server based. I have a php folder if i remember correctly php can do alot of the things i want to do i just dont remember how terramir

BTW that girl is my version of muddflap on my stacy common artwork not obcene (for the censors out there)

Xtreme Cruncher
    + on Gamekiller's recommendation. The requirements you list in your first post pretty much beg for a CMS. Not a coder myself, but I work with some guys that swear by joomla...they've been able to get professional looking websites up very quickly.

I also know a few that build sites with Drupal:

http://drupal.org/

Good Luck!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You could use a CMS (Content Management System) instead of coding it yourself. The one I've used is Joomla! and you can set it up to allow multiple people with different permissions to do different things.

+1 to this

Work/Game System - ~24/7 WCG
    ASUS P8P67 PRO / i7 2600k @ 4.1Ghz / Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 / 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9

HTPC -~24/7 WCG
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 / i7 2600k @ 4.0Ghz / Sapphire Radeon HD5830 / 2x2GB Mushkin Enhanced Essentials @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9

XS WCG Team Forum - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post

+1 to this

Work/Game System - ~24/7 WCG
    ASUS P8P67 PRO / i7 2600k @ 4.1Ghz / Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 / 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9

HTPC -~24/7 WCG
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 / i7 2600k @ 4.0Ghz / Sapphire Radeon HD5830 / 2x2GB Mushkin Enhanced Essentials @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9

XS WCG Team Forum - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Xtreme Cruncher
    Definitely a job for CMS. Joomla! and Drupal are the two big ones for PHP based stuff. There's one other larger one but I don't remember what it's called off the top of my head. There are also ones using Ruby and Java.

A ready to go system is probably the best in this case, if the website (main and especially the CMS admin page) are going to be visible to the general public. SQL injection is a pretty scary thing. It also takes for-fricking-ever to write even simple things (Longer if you barely know PHP. Guess what I'm doing off & on at work)

I'm almost always available on Steam to chat. Same username.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jspace View Post
    Definitely a job for CMS. Joomla! and Drupal are the two big ones for PHP based stuff. There's one other larger one but I don't remember what it's called off the top of my head. There are also ones using Ruby and Java.

A ready to go system is probably the best in this case, if the website (main and especially the CMS admin page) are going to be visible to the general public. SQL injection is a pretty scary thing. It also takes for-fricking-ever to write even simple things (Longer if you barely know PHP. Guess what I'm doing off & on at work)
    So basically what I want to do is have them be able to log in with a pass and user name and then click a buttom to upload the thumbnails and pictures as well as a description and click submit and then on one of the pages based on the catagory selected it will appear as a thumb nail and when the customer clicks on it they'll be able to see a description and the bigger picture. here's a question can a cms resize the pictures automatically i.e. generate thumbnails or do I have to have them do this?
    terramir

all outta gum
    Most CMSes either have the option to do it automatically or use plugins for that. I don't have much experience with Joomla or Drupal, but for Nucleus CMS there's plent of verious resizing plugins.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by terramir View Post
    So basically what I want to do is have them be able to log in with a pass and user name and then click a buttom to upload the thumbnails and pictures as well as a description and click submit and then on one of the pages based on the catagory selected it will appear as a thumb nail and when the customer clicks on it they'll be able to see a description and the bigger picture. here's a question can a cms resize the pictures automatically i.e. generate thumbnails or do I have to have them do this?
    terramir
    Forwarded the above post to one of my joomla guys, and he says you can do the above with joomla + mavik Thumbnails extension. You can try it out for free (30 days) by setting up a trial joomla instance, installing mavik Thumbnails, then setting up your users & testing blah blah blah.

Yeah, there's a learning curve - but all the css/js/html/php/etc/etc coding is done, you simply assemble/configure/theme the website. You are completely free to change any underlying code if you like, and you can run the whole thing on your own servers (for free) if you choose not to host with CloudAccess.

Drupal guy I know hasn't responded yet, but you can definitely try out joomla for free to help in your decision.