Thread: Why does it seem I have two different DVI ports?

Xtreme Member

Why does it seem I have two different DVI ports?

I've got a DCUII 580, and I happened to notice that it seems DVI-I port 1 has only 1 pin per hole, while DVI-I port 2 has 2 pins per hole. It's pretty easy to see this in person, harder to take a picture of without a macro lens.

I'll link the picture, so it doesn't blow up your screens (except those of you running 2560x1600 + :p ) but tell me what you think?

Both ports work fine with my DVI-D (Single Link) cable and my U2211H, but I'm wondering if possibly DVI-I (Dual Link) would have problems on this port?

I've also got a 560 Ti and GTX 275 here that have 2 pins per hole on both their DVI ports.

Any comments?

Here's the pictures:
    http://i.imgur.com/AWfzH.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/KDHuz.jpg

Oh, in case it wasn't obvious from the pictures...the DVI-I port on the left seems to be the one with only 1 pin, the one on the right clearly has 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

Xtreme Addict
    Appears either defective or damaged.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Bowth is same, there clearly is 2 pins on 2nd DVI port, theyre just litlebit harder to see on 2nd port.

I circled the pins.

Also by checking from your 2 different images this is clearly seen, other shows the up-right pins better and other shows down-left ones better.
    Last edited by rintamarotta; 06-26-2011 at 07:24 PM.

::: Desktop's - Intel *** Intel 2
    2 x Xeon E5-2687W *** Intel i7 3930k
    EVGA SR-X *** Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 x4 960Gb *** 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb
    Avermedia LiveGamer HD capture card
    Caselabs TX10-D
    14 x 4 TB WD RE4 in RAID10+2Spare
    4 x Corsair AX1200

::: Basement DataCenter :::
    [*] Fibreoptic connection from operators core network
    [*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] Additional SAN machines with FusionIO ioDrive Octal's (4 total Octals).
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

Xtreme Member
    Interesting, I'll be receiving my 2nd DCUII hopefully within the next 2 weeks and will check it out to see if it's the same...if not then I already need to warranty that one so I guess I'll just send both in.

It seems that there is hints of contacts at the bottom of the "hole", which you can kinda catch from the flash in the 2nd picture. Maybe somehow they all got mashed down to the bottom? But I don't see how that could happen perfectly to all of them at the same time, and without some sort of force felt by me while inserting the cable.

Hackintosh Lover
    Between London & Eastbourne, United Kingdom
    Dont know seams fine to me... not sure how it would affect the video quality between DVIs..
    Why Not Try a Hackintosh for A Change?? Steps HERE!!
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Winners of EURO 08 | World Cup 10 | EURO 12
    Quote: Killin' Tube Kinks One Coil At A Time
    Hackintosh Lover
    "Dumb people" shouldn't use "Smart Phones"

New Personal Wallpapers Selection

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rintamarotta View Post
    Bowth is same, there clearly is 2 pins on 2nd DVI port, theyre just litlebit harder to see on 2nd port.
    I've got pretty bad distance vision, but that does mean if I take out my contacts I can put my eyes pretty damn close to something and have perfect focus, and when I did this and got my eyes within 2 inches from the port it was extremely obvious that there was only 1 pin per hole. Its easily obvious in person, especially when it's right next to the other one...and then right next to 4 other DVI ports on the 275 and 560.

The first picture shows it best, if you look at the bottom square of 4 holes in the plus formation, you can clearly see the 2 pins per hole but then look up and there is no second ones.

Trust me, I'm not trying to take an optical illusion picture...how would every single pin be clearly visible on the port on the right but somehow the 2nd pin in every hole on the left one be magically hidden?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Trust me, there is 2 pins in each hole. Just compare 2 pics you have taken, the pins are in completly different positions that show in each picture.

I can see all pins in bowth pictures clearly in bowth ports, im someone with pretty accurate eye at least thats what my friends say (color view) .

Edit : Maybe you dont see them since theyre bit deeper in the port than bottom left pins.
    Anyway, long as pins make contact then 2nd pins in port would not be needed, Dual-Link DVI works fine.

All of my GTX580's top-right pins are bit deeper in second port than in first port and they are pretty hard to spot even when looking at close to socket but i can spot them, this has happened due i have plugged DL-DVI cable in and they have gone bit deeper to port but they are making contact.
    Last edited by rintamarotta; 06-26-2011 at 07:40 PM.

96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    Caselabs TX10-D
    4 x Corsair AX1200

[*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

Xtreme Member
    I busted out the magnifying glass and a lamp but it's too awkward with the card still in the system, I'll pull it out tomorrow and take a look at it in the sun with the magnifying glass.

Your point about the pins seeming to be in two different places in each picture is a good one, but I'm not sure if that has to do with the angle I took it at.

Hopefully I'll be able to tell for sure tomorrow in the sun with the magnifying glass.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You could also look at first port. In second picture first ports 4th row (from down to up) first hole's top-right pin is not seen, but in first image they bowth are clearly seen.

Its just the angle you look at it and how light reflects from the pins.

Edit: All this fuss due differences how pins are cut for different manufactuerers DVI ports (the angle of pin-tip and where it reflects light).
    Last edited by rintamarotta; 06-26-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Caselabs TX10-D
    4 x Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rintamarotta View Post
    You could also look at first port. In second picture first ports 4th row (from down to up) first hole's top-right pin is not seen, but in first image they bowth are clearly seen.

Its just the angle you look at it and how light reflects from the pins.

Edit: All this fuss due differences how pins are cut for different manufactuerers DVI ports (the angle of pin-tip and where it reflects light).
    Thanks for the help, I see that you are likely right. I forgot to look, but I actually sent the card over to Oklahoma to my buddy so he can borrow it for a month. I'm sure you're right, though.