Thread: Chiller Project: So far dissapointing

Chiller Project: So far dissapointing

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get a decent water chilling going to use on my 775 benching rig, but I'm so far not getting anywhere near the results I was hoping for.

I bought myself a cheap portable aircon unit from somebody who had moved and no longer needed it. It's the Dimplex GDC-AC9RW 2.6kw airconditioner.

I stripped down the unit, leaving all wiring the same. Took the fan off the evap, dunked the evap in an esky and found it's only getting down to about -5c while liquid in the immediate area is sitting at 7c. Ambient = 18c.

I was expecting and hoping for -10c+ at the evap and into subzeros in the liquid, but it's just not happening

I have put the thermostat in the hot air exhaust so nothing is cutting out, and I have left all the controllers and wiring the same. I just set the A/C to it's lowest temperature settings and let it go at it. Would it help at all if I looked at removing the temperature controller?

Thanks in advance for help, I hope to have some pics up soon, just need to get myself organised.

-150c Club Member
    What liquid are you using, and it sounds like you dis-wired it correctly so no not much else to do. Is it a 2.6kw unit, or a 2600btuh unit?

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    What liquid are you using, and it sounds like you dis-wired it correctly so no not much else to do. Is it a 2.6kw unit, or a 2600btuh unit?
    2.6kw, which I believe equates to roughly 8000btu if we convert from kilowatt hours.

I haven't rewired anything, but I'm thinking that isn't the problem aswell, since the aircon is bound to run at 100% until it needs to cut out via thermostat, which isn't happening. Pictures coming in the next couple of hours, need to setup a work space for myself.

I am Xtreme
    A 2.6kw (2600watts X 3.412btu/per watt= 88711.2 BTU) Ac unit is designed to have a evap temperature of ~45F with with ~300cfm of air flow through it.

To get lower temperatures you will need to adjust the charge and most likely the cap tube to get the lowest temperature possible.
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Sorry for not getting back to anyone or updating anything, but I did follow through and finish making the chiller. Got -20c at CPU with no load.

Here's the finished product for any interested: