Thread: Securing your wallet with Truecrypt!! Halt those theiving Bastages!

Xtreme Cruncher

Securing your wallet with Truecrypt!! Halt those theiving Bastages!

Ok so this isn't hard but I thought I would share this so people can get their wallet secured and no wallet stealing virus can do SH*T about it!

1. Go to http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads and download the Windows Version.

2. run through the set up, its pretty straight forward.

3. Once installed open it and click on "create volume".

a. Default "create and encrypted file container" is what we are looking for here (though other options are VERY fun to play with )

b. Standard truecrypt file is fine, though you can do a hidden file too if you so wish.

c. Choose any location for the file. I did mine right on C:\ for ease.

d. I did "Serpent - twofish - AES" as this uses 3 completely independent cipher keys.I did SHA-512 hash. it is a proven hash algorithm.

e. I used this: https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm and selected 25 random ASCII characters from the middle of the string and used this for my password (DOCUMENT THIS!!!!!)

f. I made a huge file because I am going to use it for more than just bitcoin, but 200-500MB is fine.

g. I then moved my mouse around on the next screen for about 5 min (I know I went overkill.. but hey if you are going to do it do it right...) This creates the encryption keys themselves. Then hit format! your new super encrypted file container is now created!

4. Back at the main Truecrypt window click a drive letter, then mount volume, select the file, enter your PW and wallah your drive is mounted and you can access it like any other HDD.

5. Now go to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\Appdata\roaming and copy the bitcoin folder (make sure bitcoin is closed!) to the new drive.

6. If one is not there already, copy the Bitcoin shortcut from your Program Files folder to the desktop, then right click and go to properties. In the" target" add: -datadir=W:\Bitcoin to the very end of what is already there, should look like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin.exe" -datadir=W:\Bitcoin
    7. Open Bitcoin and make sure the start on system startup option is unchecked so you can mount the drive.

8. You are done! Something of note, I don't know how the trojan works, and it your wallet is vulnerable while the drive is mounted or not or if it is vulnerable while bitcoin app is running, but I will be disabling my NIC, running a virus sweep, starting Bitcoin, then enabling my NIC to receive transactions.

9. Another good point, now all you have to do to copy your wallet is copy the file you just created, A great way to be making backups of the already encrypted file across your network to other machines is Robocopy, but that is another topic for another day as I am too tired to do another write up lol.

I hope this helps!
    Brandon
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Is it a coincidence that your wifes pc is called Uranus?

Xtreme 3D Team
    Thanks.

I feel so primitive with my 7-Zip and SHA-256 encryption as well as 20 char password
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Thanks.

I feel so primitive with my 7-Zip and SHA-256 encryption as well as 20 char password
    +1

I'll read up on it after work.
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I used built-in Disk Utility on OSX. It creates fixed size (or sparse if you prefer) image with AES-256 encryption (~25 characters password, random-ish). The file sits in a Dropbox folder and is updated whenever i do a transaction. Copy goes to USB stick as well...
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Thanks.

Don't shoot me for this, but hello Sony
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Crunch-Fu Adept
    This should be made a sticky!
    Sometimes a good slap in the face is all you need

Bios my arss.....
    I can fix this problem with a hardware mod....
    Hipro5

"Overclock till death. Overclocking is life." Hipro5