Thread: X2 565 BE for a little fun?

Xtreme Member

X2 565 BE for a little fun?

Hey all,

I have become a little bored recently.
    I've noticed that I can pick up a 565BE for a really good price and was wondering if this would be a nice toy to play with until BD is released.
    I'm currently running the following:

Asus Crosshair Formula IV
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 285*13 = 3705MHz @ 1.35V || NB 2850MHz @ 1.23V || HT 2850MHz
    4GB Samsung 1333MHz el cheapo RAM @ 1520MHz 7-8-8-23-1T @ 1.56V
    MSI 5770 HAWK crossfire
    Corsair TX650W
    WD 1TB SATA3 Black 7200rpm
    Seagate 1TB SATA II 7200rpm
    Corsair H50
    CM Storm case

I play games like BFBC2 and some COD Black OPs. One question is whether lets say a 565 running at 4GHz will run these games as smoothly as my 1055T.
    This CPU seems to get a bit stuck at around 4GHz, tried voltages up to 1.5V and can't get it stable.
    Any advice?

Also is there some secret technique to turbocore overclocking? Is it worth it? Whenever I have it enabled I can't seem to find a program which will show me the new CPU frequency.

Thanks for any advice or help

Xtreme 3D Team
    Personally I would find a low end locked chip to be more fun.
    If getting a new CPU satisfies your boredom without benchmarking it, well...I feel differently XD
    I have no idea why you are running HT at 2850 Mhz, it can do that yes but there is no point in it. 3.7 Ghz at 1.35v is pretty conservative IMO...but if that freq. is your max for 3.7, then you are looking 1.51-1.52 area for 4 Ghz assuming cooling can handle.

A 565BE will handle BC2 and Black Ops okay at 4 Ghz. Off the top of my head I can't remember if those games are multithreaded or not, like it even matters.

Turbo overclocking -
    Single to four thread workloads, you can set the turbo multiplier in the BIOS for Turbo to kick in. However, Turbo has a different VID, and if you set 1.5v or more in your BIOS for your normal overclock and use Turbo, I would say you are looking at 1.6-1.65v spikes...not good for your CPU.

My CPU with turbo initiated, if I set 1.43v on the CPU I end up with about 1.55 with Turbo...due to the difference in the VIDs.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for those tips.
    Perhaps I should just play a bit more with my 1055t. I was just fiddling to see what my highest overclock can be but voltages <1.5V won't pass 3dmark when running 4.2GHz.
    As for the HT thing, I read somewhere that it is better to have you HT the same as you NB.

I'm running my Corsair H50 in a push pull config, but in summer here it gets to around 37 degrees Celsius.
    So at the moment, when the cpu voltage is set to 1.35 and jumps to 1.39 or so under load and my temps in summer are around 56 degrees.

Maybe I should be slightly braver with voltage for benchmarking purposes :-/

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by reflex View Post
    Thanks for those tips.
    Perhaps I should just play a bit more with my 1055t. I was just fiddling to see what my highest overclock can be but voltages <1.5V won't pass 3dmark when running 4.2GHz.
    As for the HT thing, I read somewhere that it is better to have you HT the same as you NB.

I'm running my Corsair H50 in a push pull config, but in summer here it gets to around 37 degrees Celsius.
    So at the moment, when the cpu voltage is set to 1.35 and jumps to 1.39 or so under load and my temps in summer are around 56 degrees.

Maybe I should be slightly braver with voltage for benchmarking purposes :-/
    The HT = NB is better thing is a myth...I bet you could get that CPU stable at 4 Ghz without more than 1.5v
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Haha, challenge accepted!
    Whether is worth the extra $$ for electricity is another question