Thread: Light-field Technology

Xtremeish
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Cruncher
    Must be very very VERY expensive.
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Member
    Idea is that it's cheap. So far the company is only funded with $50 million venture capital (small cost). We know they are targeting consumers because anyone who can manually focus a lens can do this already.
    2600K + Sabertooth + 560Ti

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post
    Must be very very VERY expensive.
    I doubt that. Given that we already have similar stuff on our DSLR's today. Canon has implemented micro lenses onto the CMOS sensor itself to help each photocell gather more light. This I think is comparable to a certain degree.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/page3.asp
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whatsnew_microlenses.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	116613
    Last edited by Kallenator; 06-23-2011 at 02:05 AM.
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

I am Xtreme
    http://www.lytro.com/picture_gallery

this is way beyond what the current cameras are doing. like way wayyyy beyond.
    current cameras capture small amounts of data, and only collect the right amount of light for the given focal point, this Lytro camera claims to capture every single piece of light in the entire frame.
    which, can and would allow the focal point to be moved.

the picture above of the 50D vs 7D is nothing more than pixel density light gathering.
    more pixels require more light gathering capabilities and Canon knew it so they had to give the 18mp sensor more light gathering lenses.
    otherwise you end up like you did with the 50D and have poor iso performance.
    its also why the 40D is a better iso performer than the 50D. its pixel density and light gathering methods for said pixel density are better.
    fewer pixels per square mm vs more pixels crammed into the same area.

thats a pi$$ poor comparison to what Lytra is doing though.

this is why on current cameras if you are off even a cm on the focal point the entire shot is blown.
    sure you might be able to sharpen it up in photoshop but it wont fix a misfocused shot, you can not physically move the focal point to a different shot to recover a blown picture.

Lytra claims to be able to do that.
    somehow i dont think this will ever come to light, or if it does, them it will be from a different company and called something different because Lytra wont have the funding to mass produce the cameras.

BUT, if they get enough on the market, then funding wont be an issue since they will have forever changed the way we use our cameras and everyone will be buying their products.
    i picture movie companies buying and using this technology long before consumer or prosumer or even pro cameras get it.

they said that it will be competetively priced with current consumer cameras.
    they also said it will be small enough to fit in your pocket.
    so... priced to compete with current point and shoot cameras... means $250-$500

any way you look at it this is mind blowing if its real.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtremeish
    I should have made myself clearer, my point was that microlenses today are being used in large scale at a far smaller physically size. Therefor making far larger microlenses should be possible.

I am not an idiot lestat

Btw, has anyone read through their thesis. Looks to me like they take use of what is known as the hyper focal point, amongst other things which I do not understand.