Thread: Internet not working on laptop

Xtreme Member

Question Internet not working on laptop

Hello WCG team,

You're a smart group of people, and I can't run BOINC without internet, so I thought I would post this here.

I'm not getting internet connectivity when I try to go on websites or use a program that uses the internet(Steam, BOINC). They all say I'm not connected to the internet, but my laptop is getting a internet connection from the router. All of the other computers on my home network are working fine. When I go into network and sharing center in my laptop it says it has connection to the network and to the internet but it's still unable to access any websites.

I've tried disabling and enabling ipv4, made sure it was obtaining it's ip address and DNS dynamically, turned off and on the firewall, connecting the laptop directly to the modem, made sure the wi-fi was enabled, and all of that didn't work. It was working just fine last night but I woke up today and it wasn't working. It's really odd because it's getting a connection from the router (and the modem when I tried that), and the laptop thinks everything is working fine, but I cannot access any websites or use programs that require the internet.

Thanks for all the help.

Cruncher #1: i7 860 @ 3.6GHz
    Cruncher #2: "WatSon" i7 4670k @ 4.0GHz / GTX 760 for GPUGRID

Fanboy of Good Products
    I assume you tried reinstalling drivers? Is this a fresh OS install or one that has been working previously? If it's Ubuntu I had this problem too and I just wiped it.
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Member
    I didn't try reinstalling drivers. I'm running Win 7 Ultimate and I don't remember doing any updates or anything last night. I have to get ready for work right now and I'll be able to check for reply's and post again in about 7/8hours. I'll have to wait until then to check if it was the drivers and read any other ideas anyone else has.

I am Addicted!
    some laptops you need to disable wifi i believe or possibly see if windows diag/repair can resolve the issue I will give it a little more thought when I am not so tired
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - May 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the reply's! I got home from work and decided to check it was working. It was a long shot but I figured there was a chance, and it ended up working . I have no idea what happened but I'm glad it's working now 'cus I was stumped.

Xtreme Cruncher
    A restart will fix all problems.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------