Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Llano "A8 3500M" (Fusion) review's

Xtreme Mentor

AMD Llano "A8 3500M" (Fusion) review's

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-apu,2959.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4444/a...n-apu-a8-3500m

Yep a great chip has lot and lots of potential, i need a laptop before Aug and i have my sight on the A8. If its not available will have to get some i5 with a 5650/6630...
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    The battery life was the clincher. Good GPU performance and enough CPU for a < 15" notebook will be perfect for a personal use / travel pad

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Game changer. 400 GFLOPS gives developers an enormous amount of performance to develop for and take advantage of. Since apps developed now will only get faster on next generation hardware, this gives developers good incentive to program for the next era of computing, heterogenous computing.

Xtreme Member
    My impressions:

To start, I am very upset with the barrage of marketing from AMD this time around. "BULLDOZER COMING SOON!" being posted on shill hardware sites everyday is annoying, especially given AMD's recent track record for mediocre products.

Now, with regards to their latest mobile chip and integrated graphics:
    "We don't want you to call it IGP anymore, call it fGPU", shut up AMD, I'll call it what I want. Having said that, it is faster than the latest Intel integrated stuff which is good, but they're going to fail the same way they failed with the previous architecture (Puma in laptops). They won't be able to market this to the general public because laptops with nVidia GT540m will start springing up at a slightly higher cost but with much better performance.

The new IGP falls somewhere between a mobile Radeon 5570 (If there is such a thing) and a GT540m (Well, that's exaggerating a bit). With nVidia, you get much better drivers, better compatibility with Linux, and a proven product. People are going to be hard-pressed to invest in AMD given their recent track record for not fixing their graphics drivers...

Let's also consider the subsystem... The northbridge. AMD has stated that SB9xx is the same as SB8xx - that is to say - it still has that comparatively awful SATA performance and nonexistant SDD support. Again, why would anyone invest in this when the new Intel southbridge is vastly superior!?

What can I say about AMD today? Since their aquisition of ATI, they produce mediocre videocards, and their engineers cannot even design decent subsystems to play catchup with Intel.

In conclusion, I would much rather prefer a Sandy Bridge/Nvidia Optimus combination over this drek.

Xtreme Member
    ^ hmmm it's okay go ahead buy a sandybridge laptop ^_^
    Newbie Cruncher

Xtreme Enthusiast
    pretty good. but id much rather have sandybridge and nvidias optimus for that price.

amd drivers are just beyond trash
    we going shh around the corner

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaserjzx100 View Post
    ^ hmmm it's okay go ahead buy a sandybridge laptop ^_^
    ^^ Win. Thanks for the summary lmao. (oh man the smilies went for vacation)..

Anyway, I'm still not done with reading anandtech's review yet, but they said it's ~$700 for A8 series lappy. That's pretty darn cheap if you convert it into my currency. I haven't really kept up to date with notebooks today, but where can you find a sandybridge+nvidia optimus for that price?
    Last edited by blindbox; 06-14-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    From the Anand review:

In general the chip is somewhat faster than the Athlon II X4 635
    Next please.

Xtreme Member
    Me want! Me want! Give me 11in version with big battery!
    Now the wait for them to show up on websites
    Motherboard: GigaByte P67UD4 f6 | CPU: Intel 2500k 4.5ghz 1.26v | Memory: GSkill 2x4gb @ 1600mhz 1.34v | PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W | Video: AMD 6970 Koolance water block 880c/1450mem 1.035v | HDD: WD 640gb cavier black: VelociRaptor 300gb: Intel x-25 g2 80gb | Sound: Asus xonar D1 | OS: W7 64bit

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    From the Anand review:
    That was not a review, it was a preview and it was garbage too.

Xtreme Addict
    Looking at Anand's Llano desktop review I would say that the price which AMD is going to ask for top of the line Llano is too high ($170). You may get a way better gaming performance from Athlon x4 630 + HD 5570 ($140). At least until AMD will figure out all the issues with hybrid-CF.
    But I think OEMs will love Llano.
    Mobile Llano notebook looks very good in battery life tests (still we need to see production models). But I failed to see the point of having HD 6620G in the top of the line models. It seems like OEMs are going to put external GPUs with the top Llano models, so interated IGP with 400sp is useless in this case (again, at least until AMD will figure out all the issues with hybrid-CF) . On the other hand AMD is going to cripple IGP performance on the middle/lower end model. Any way, the IGP perf is worse then expected (I remember predictions that this one is going to be on HD 5670 level of perf and 3-4x faster then HD3000). CPU perf of quad-core Llano is also nothing to be excited about - it seems like it going to be ~30% slower then my dual-core i5-2410M on average. But the battery life is good.
    Last edited by kl0012; 06-14-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbox View Post
    ^^ Win. Thanks for the summary lmao. (oh man the smilies went for vacation)..

Anyway, I'm still not done with reading anandtech's review yet, but they said it's ~$700 for A8 series lappy. That's pretty darn cheap if you convert it into my currency. I haven't really kept up to date with notebooks today, but where can you find a sandybridge+nvidia optimus for that price?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-110-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-245-_-Product

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
    My impressions:

To start, I am very upset with the barrage of marketing from AMD this time around. "BULLDOZER COMING SOON!" being posted on shill hardware sites everyday is annoying, especially given AMD's recent track record for mediocre products.

"We don't want you to call it IGP anymore, call it fGPU", shut up AMD, I'll call it what I want. Having said that, it is faster than the latest Intel integrated stuff which is good, but they're going to fail the same way they failed with the previous architecture (Puma in laptops). They won't be able to market this to the general public because laptops with nVidia GT540m will start springing up at a slightly higher cost but with much better performance.

The new IGP falls somewhere between a mobile Radeon 5570 (If there is such a thing) and a GT540m (Well, that's exaggerating a bit). With nVidia, you get much better drivers, better compatibility with Linux, and a proven product. People are going to be hard-pressed to invest in AMD given their recent track record for not fixing their graphics drivers...

Let's also consider the subsystem... The northbridge. AMD has stated that SB9xx is the same as SB8xx - that is to say - it still has that comparatively awful SATA performance and nonexistant SDD support. Again, why would anyone invest in this when the new Intel southbridge is vastly superior!?

What can I say about AMD today? Since their aquisition of ATI, they produce mediocre videocards, and their engineers cannot even design decent subsystems to play catchup with Intel.

In conclusion, I would much rather prefer a Sandy Bridge/Nvidia Optimus combination over this drek.
    are you paid to post like this?
    this post looks exactly like the paid posters on the HardOCP forums
    ---
    ---
    "Generally speaking, CMOS power consumption is the result of charging and discharging gate capacitors. The charge required to fully charge the gate grows with the voltage; charge times frequency is current. Voltage times current is power. So, as you raise the voltage, the current consumption grows linearly, and the power consumption quadratically, at a fixed frequency. Once you reach the frequency limit of the chip without raising the voltage, further frequency increases are normally proportional to voltage. In other words, once you have to start raising the voltage, power consumption tends to rise with the cube of frequency."
    +++
    1st
    CPU - 2600K(4.4ghz)/Mobo - AsusEvo/RAM - 8GB1866mhz/Cooler - VX/Gfx - Radeon 6950/PSU - EnermaxModu87+700W
    +++
    2nd
    TRUltra-120Xtreme /// EnermaxModu82+(625w) /// abitIP35pro/// YorkfieldQ9650-->3906mhz(1.28V) /// 640AAKS & samsung F1 1T &samsung F1640gb&F1 RAID 1T /// 4gigs of RAM-->520mhz /// radeon 4850(700mhz)-->TRHR-03 GT
    ++++
    3rd
    Windsor4200(11x246-->2706mhz-->1.52v) : Zalman9500 : M2N32-SLI Deluxe : 2GB ddr2 SuperTalent-->451mhz : seagate 7200.10 320GB :7900GT(530/700) : Tagan530w

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    But I failed to see the point of having HD 6620G in the top of the line models. It seems like OEMs are going to put external GPUs with the top Llano models, so interated IGP with 400sp is useless in this case (again, at least until AMD will figure out all the issues with hybrid-CF) .
    top end llano is not top end from amd, they will still have BD+discrete gpu laptops which are the ones going for 1000$ when they come out
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    The win is for mobile.

And I'd stay far far away from Optimus. So many issues

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    But I think OEMs will love Llano.
    Yeah right kl0012 ^^

And that's Llano main purpose, AMD will gain marketshare, for sure, and it's a good newz ^^

I am Xtreme
    The most important thing is there for the mobile platform -> runtime. Now lets see what the oems come up with and at what price point.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My impressions:

This post is so full of misinformation and FUD, its sad. Anyway, mobile Llano looks great, absolutely tremendous increase in battery life over previous mobile chips (from AMD) and graphics performance looks very strong indeed, only ~20% slower than Llano + 6630m discrete. Thats impressive considering the bandwidth limitations of the APU.

Good work AMD. I kinda regret getting my Lenovo E420s with the i5 2410M now, gaming performance is poor compared to what im seeing with Llano
    Last edited by LightSpeed; 06-14-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    top end llano is not top end from amd, they will still have BD+discrete gpu laptops which are the ones going for 1000$ when they come out
    don't forget about Scorpius.

dave
    Heat: 50 - 0 - 0 under "Argus333"

Xtreme 3D Team

First of all, AMD's SATA performance is not as bad as you say, just because it doesn't come up with false burst rates like ICH10R doesn't mean its the end of the world. Secondly, mediocre video cards? What are you smoking, every GPU since 4800 has been very competitive to NVDIA, and when NVIDIA flopped first time around with Fermi, AMD had not only the performance crown, but the perf/price/power ratio crown. The HD69X0s are still competitive with GTX5X0.

...Sandy Bridge/Nvidia Optimus is $300 more, so have fun with your SB laptop.
    Smile

Xtreme Cruncher
    hmmm it looks like overall a really mixed bag. here is my impression thus far.

The Good:
    -AMD finally has competitive battery life
    -IGPU performance is almost twice the fastest Intel which is always welcome to see
    -Hybrid Crossfire looks like it could do some cool things

The bad:
    -CPU performance is nothing short of terrible for a quad core part
    -Hybrid crossfire is almost completely broken at the moment and in most games causes more harm than good.
    -For the RUMORED (yet to be determined) price it's not the best value considering the lackluster CPU performance

While the IGPU gaming performance is a step in the right direction they have littlerally changed nothing on the CPU side. AMD was already trailing Intel by a good amount laptop CPU performance. now they have released a whole new CPU that does absolutely nothing to make up that gap. if they boosted the CPU performance by about 15% i might have a whole different opinion about the system as a whole but in some cases it is even slower than past gen mobile AMD cpu's

I could see it being a good platform for a cheap student or something that wanted to play really basic games and had no more than $600 to spend but other than that there is virtually no reason to go for it over the similarly priced Intel chips in every other usage situation. for basic usage you will want a faster CPU over a faster GPU and for any more intensive tasks you will want a faster CPU AND a faster GPU that only a dedicated card can provide.

like I pointed out somethings are nice to see but overall I hoped for more from the mobile parts
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

Xtreme Addict
    My impressions:

*snipped Intel rant*
    Someone is a pretty hardcore Intel fanboy...
    If you arent going to comment on the product and just say how much better Intel and Nvidia are then please just dont post.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

I am Xtreme
    i wonder if the turbo is not working very well.

based on CB11.5, 4 core score was 1.88 points, single core was .64, which is nearly 1/3 exact
    if scaling was perfect, which it almost is with CB11.5, then 1 core of 1.88 is .47 points
    .68 is 36% faster than .47, so if .47 is 1.5ghz, then .68 would be 2.04ghz, assuming inaccuracy and scaling efficiency, turbo seemed to be no more than 2.1ghz

i honestly did expect MUCH more from that, there is no way a single core of 2.1ghz is pushing the chip to its TDP, so the only assumption i can make it that its being toned down for battery life or something. it would be nice to see a power consumption comparison between SB and Llano is single thread efficiency.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] hipno650 View Post

The Good:
    -IGPU performance is almost twice the fastest Intel which is always welcome to see

The bad:
    -Hybrid crossfire is almost completely broken at the moment and in most games causes more harm than good.
    -For the RUMORED (yet to be determined) price it's not the best value considering the lackluster CPU performance

While the IGPU gaming performance is a step in the right direction they have littlerally changed nothing on the CPU side. AMD was already trailing Intel by a good amount laptop CPU performance. now they have released a whole new CPU that does absolutely nothing to make up that gap. if they boosted the CPU performance by about 15% i might have a whole different opinion about the system as a whole but in some cases it is even slower than past gen mobile AMD cpu's

I could see it being a good platform for a cheap student or something that wanted to play really basic games and had no more than $600 to spend but other than that there is virtually no reason to go for it over the similarly priced Intel chips in every other usage situation. for basic usage you will want a faster CPU over a faster GPU and for any more intensive tasks you will want a faster CPU AND a faster GPU that only a dedicated card can provide.

like I pointed out somethings are nice to see but overall I hoped for more from the mobile parts
    The initiative for Fusion / integration of GPU into CPU is cost.
    Reducing cost is always welcome by the consumers.

From AMD's charts, the A8 series is targeted to i3 setups.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] hipno650 View Post

The Good:

The bad:

An average IPC improvement of 5% compared to previous AMD CPU's (excluding turbo, but that doesnt seem to be very aggressive tbh)

So yeah, I kinda agree with you about the CPU performance, but the thing is, Trinity is the next APU with BD cores + next gen graphics. So they already have another architecture waiting in the wings to be 'fused'. Hence, it makes absolutely no sense to spend time and $$ to try and get a 15% IPC improvement for this architecture when theres another one which will give them exactly that for 'free' in the next gen
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast