Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan.B View Post
    OK my little steam rant is over. I'm waiting out the countdown.

Agreed NEO on Morrowind vs. Oblivion. Morrowind is still my favorite for depth of content and breadth of exploration. I hoping Skyrim comes through on both counts.
    One other thing I'm impressed with is the size of the world. It's easily 4x the size of cyrodill in oblivion. Far better voice acting as well. Everyone in oblivion was too cartoon like.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Member
    Do you people have patch 1.1 installed ? That was supposed to add HighResTextures and other stuff for the PC. Still the foliage looks bad, but thats the same with all engines. Overall graphics look acceptable by today's standards (of console dominance).

Technicalities aside , any reviews on how is the storyline ? Mysterious,engaging or stupid, childish stuff ?
    And the quests - genuine or meaningless ? Do they actually affect the game ? Are there morally 'grey' choices ?
    Dialogues - mature or placeholding crap ?

NO Spoilers about the plot please.

EDIT: OK this game is a bloody 95 on metacritic, can't resist, gotta play this *hurries off*
    Last edited by Tao~; 11-11-2011 at 02:59 AM.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Xtreme Mentor
    This game is a must-have, simply

I played 4-5 hours and I love it ! So many things to do ... GOTY IMHO ^^

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    One other thing I'm impressed with is the size of the world. It's easily 4x the size of cyrodill in oblivion. Far better voice acting as well. Everyone in oblivion was too cartoon like.
    Not only the game world, but the very first dungeon I did (bleaks fall cave) was several times larger with lots of interesting traps and puzzles than either Oblivion or Morrowind had.

And you can burn doggies!

I will have a few more serious videos up soon, I just made this one because someone was complaining about the textures on the animals.

Xtreme Mentor

Xtreme Mentor
    LOL, theres too many barrel head videos made, and going to be made about this.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post

Haha...that was funny. So objects are solid and block line of sight , but wasnt that happening in previous games also - probably no objects to lift and rotate ?

EDIT: Also saw that you can murder one character while other wears the bucket ? That is seriously WTF. Should be fixed in the next patch
    Last edited by Tao~; 11-11-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Xtreme Addict
    AMAZING!!! I'm so going home and spending some pennies!
    PROJECT :: The Xtreme (WET) Dream!!!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    E6750 @ 4GHz QX9650 @ 4.6GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :
    Sempron140 @ 4Ghz (Stock Cooler)
    i7 3960x @ 5.4ghz (Air Cooler)

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
    Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
    Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Xtreme Mentor
    Big spoiler in this video, so dont watch it if you dont want to see the end fight / puzzle for the first dungeon.

It just shows some normal gameplay, and theres a finishing move on the boss

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So can anyone confirm that the 1.1 patch adds high(er) res textures?

Looking forward to picking this up after work today...
    i7-2600K @ 4806Mhz 102.3x47 1.368v LinX stable
    MSI P67 GD-80
    16Gb Corsair 8-8-8-24 1T 818.2Mhz
    MSI GTX560Ti 1005/2250 1.062v
    Crucial m4 256Gb SSD
    Corsair TX850 | 64bit WIN7 Pro
    Custom watercooling
    47" 1080p LCD | Onkyo 876/ Polk 5.1 surround

Xtreme Addict
    Question: How do you pronounce Skyrim?

Xtreme Mentor
    Another gameplay video of the first dragon fight

*definitely contains spoilers*

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post

Looking forward to picking this up after work today...
    As far as I have seen it. It looks like High res textures

Great game! Forced myself to take a litle break but I just love it
    proud to be from Belguim ^^

Lightpainting and hardware are my life!

c[_]
    so.. if you were fighting a boss could you put a barrel on his head to make him blind?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    so.. if you were fighting a boss could you put a barrel on his head to make him blind?
    No, his movement would knock it off, and you would be taking a big beating trying to get it on :p

WCG Cruncher
    Very nice game. I'm really liking it. There is alot to it. I like the look and feel. I probably won't be seen in public, except to go to work, for the next six months.

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Xtreme Member
    Played almost 5 hours , now going up the Stairway to Heaven to meet the Greybeards

Here are my initial impressions:

-graphics are a notch above Oblivion for sure- especially lighting and artwork. Performance is also optimized - getting ~25 fps with 4xAF 2xAA + FXAA + Textures on HIGH on my GT525M (96 Shaders @ 1200 Mhz). the blizzard scene near the Barrow is very beautiful, and so are the scenes with distant waterfalls and rivers
    -really like the way wildlife exist and behave
    -horse is a better companion than a human - the way they fight with wolves and sabre cats is funny and helpful
    -storyline is loose, quests are as usual in previous TES games
    -hand to hand combat doesnt feel right still, spells are better but their graphical effects are missing/unconvincing
    -storage,spells,leveling up etc are well organized - the UI is cleaner and easier to use.
    -AI doesnt seem smart - its just satisfactory - like I managed to kill a Giant at level 4 by circling around a rock - it took me 5-7 minutes and felt utterly stupid yet funny - but given the dimensions of the game I'm glad everything still works.

So far feels more or less like a rehashed Oblivion - changes have been mostly cosmetic, and I have a feeling I'll quit this soon enough if the main quest doesnt pick-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post
    Question: How do you pronounce Skyrim?
    Sky + RIM ? Thats how its pronounced ingame too.

Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    As far as I see it Update 1 does not touch the textures package, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    Another gameplay video of the first dragon fight [/video]
    Hey I just played this part - except my dragon's texture got corrupted and it was purple. Had to restart the game to fix it.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

WCG Cruncher
    Yes, I like the UI. I like the combat over Oblivion; it seems more substantial. Very good performance with gtx580, 6 gb ram, i7 at 4.0, and everything maxxed. I'm a free-form exploration player. So far so good; there is alot of stuff out there. Oblivion and Fallout3 uninstalled today, precious savegames and mod files deleted, not looking back.

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan.B View Post
    Very nice game. I'm really liking it. There is alot to it. I like the look and feel. I probably won't be seen in public, except to go to work, for the next six months.
    heh , oh man this year was soo weird. there were only a couple decent games (or none depend on ur taste) beginning of this year, and like a crap load of good games that can drain a ton of ur time @ Q4... if only i can time travel to give myself these games to play earlier this year
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Xtreme Addict
    Yep. Skyrim will hold me over nicely until Mass Effect 3 is released.

It seems that Bethesda really listened to people's complaints about Oblivion when creating Skyrim. The more I play this game, the more impressed I become with it. Has anyone been through Darkreach? Wow is all I can say.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

all i can say is dont piss off blood dragons when u are by yourself, it dose not end well atleast at lvl 14
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

WCG Cruncher
    The more I play this game, the more impressed I become with it ... Wow is all I can say.
    Exactly.

Nice tubes btw ALB.

Xtreme Addict
    I liked the old menu style for loot inventory (was more intuitive) but this is also fine after you get used to it.

The fight system is kinda mediocre and the AI is simply awful on any difficulty - probably the worst AI in all TES series... they have very poor skill, it's all about NPC life and defense since they have very weak tactics: - i climb a rock and they circle the rock or they get stuck instead of fallowing me, up in the mountains - archer NPC's move as if in open field, they don't take in consideration the mountain cliffs and fall of them... the game is full of examples like this.

A women looks like a women in Skyrim - and even tho it's not that important, it's still a positive change.

Well - i can admit with this part - this year we had some major tytles from RPG genre launched and not even 1 living up to their name.

Dragon Age 2 - Mediocre

Dungeon Siege III - Even lower than Mediocre

The Witcher 2 - Mediocre

Deus Ex HR - Decent enough (just wish it didn't felt as playing a Beta game).

TES: Skyrim - so far fells like an RPG title between Decent and Mediocre and all the best parts come from the open world and the amounts of secondary quests - but if i know Bethesda, will see plenty of patches which mights fix this problems, so if you don't like the game now - play it few months from now and you might have a better experience.For me is good enough to finish it as it is and maybe later, I'll restart it with a different class.

PS.Disable Mouse acceleration from .ini file the game will feel a lot smoother... here's other changes that might help: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/11/th...-fov-and-more/
    Last edited by XSAlliN; 11-12-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    The more I play this game, the more impressed I become with it. Has anyone been through Darkreach? Wow is all I can say.
    Yea, to me it feels a lot more like Morrowind, but with Nords instead of Dunmer, plus improved Oblivion Graphics.

Modded oblivion (and in fact, modded morrowind) are still two of my favorite games - Morrowind was No.1 for gameplay, and Oblivion still has phenomenal graphics when fully modded, but the game itself felt like a genetically diseased offspring of morrowind.

They have definitely cured the major issues that plagued Oblivion - level / loot scaling, everything looking and feeling 100% the same and getting boring very fast, copy paste and unflowing dialogue lines (though I am yet to hear most dialogue in Skyrim so I could be wrong), and the new leveling system is fantastic (no more need for major OCD for perfect leveling to get those 5x multipliers in earlier games, just use your skills, level up, increase health, magic or fatigue and pick or save a perk).

I have read a lot of complaints about the UI, and while I dont think its terrible, it is rather tricky to navigate, and I just cat seem to get used to it. But it doesnt matter because there will be plenty of UI mods eventually.

WCG Cruncher
    For me, it doesn't get any better than modded Morrowind. The content was deep and the world was huge. I didn't delete those files... The problem is once graphics progress it's hard to go back. Still too early to tell with Skyrim though. I grew up on AD&D 1st ed., so story/content is big for me.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast