Thread: Borderlands 2 PC Discussion

Xtreme Addict

Borderlands 2 PC Discussion

Here is a place for us discuss all things Borderlands 2 now that it has launched.

Geforce.com has their Borderlands 2 Tweak Guide by Koroush Ghazi.

Bl2wiki and borderlandswikia both have some decent info although they both need time and user effort to grow.

Being a steamworks title, Borderlands 2 requires access to ports 3478,4379-4380,27000-27050. You shouldn't have to touch anything but many software firewills will interfere and pending your networking hardwares configuration, some forwarding may be required. That said I've had no such issues myself both using Comodo and an Asus RTN66U.

Feel free to post your experiance with the game, any tweaks, tips and please give a shout out if you are looking to find someone to play with I personally spent a considerable amount of time with the first game and this one is certainly not going to buck that trend
    Last edited by Chickenfeed; 09-27-2012 at 05:50 AM.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Xtreme Member
    Anyone having a tough time connecting with friends? I tried to open ports in my router but nothing worked. I had to turn on DMZ in my router while I play the game for someone to join my game.
    My System

Core i7 970 @ 4.0Ghz
    Asus P6X58D Mobo
    6GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 Memory
    1000watt Corsair PSU
    Windows 7 64bit
    EVGA GTX 670 SC 4GB

Xtreme Addict
    Nope no issues at all.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My only issue is how much rarer purples and oranges are (hell, even blues). However, it does make me appreciate those rarities of weapons much more.

Co-op players may not experience this issue as much.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Quote Originally Posted by defect9 View Post
    My only issue is how much rarer purples and oranges are (hell, even blues). However, it does make me appreciate those rarities of weapons much more.

Co-op players may not experience this issue as much.
    did you get to play through 2, i think that people are forgetting how hard they were to get in BL1 that were not boss/quest drops in the 1st play through.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Things ramp up substantially in playthrough 2. The difficulty jump is much higher than it was in Borderlands 2 and personally I welcome it.

One thing worth mentioning regarding True Vault Hunter mode however ( PT2 ) once you complete the story a second time any remaining quests that have *yet* to be taken can then be taken as level 50 quests. You can then recieve a level 50 reward instead of the preset item reward in the first 2 playthroughs. With that in mind there are a handful of quests that are advisible to leave until you've finished the main storyline a second time and have reached level 50 as the max level varrient of most items are *substantially* better. This essentially boils down to ignoring most side quests your second playthrough, focusing on the main story and grinding a bit to make up for the lost experiance. Basically any side quests that reward a green item or less are okay to take but anything that offers a blue should be avoided if you want the biggest payout later on.

I thoroughly completed the first playthrough and was level 36 when I started the 2nd but I did every single optional quest to do so ( and it took a good 40 something hours as well to see and do everything ) As far as those considering farming Normal, I don't recommend it as even the white items you get starting at level 35 blow away most of anything youll find in playthrough one. It all becomes obsolete and fast! Save any real effort for level 50 characters.

On a side note, Randy Pitchford gave out a few Shift codes yesterday that had only 1000 uses each which gave the redeemer 5 golden keys for the chest in sactuary. The PC ones were gone in seconds! ( damn copy and paste h4xors!) He mentioned they are
    going to offer time locked codes this weekend which will continue to work for an unlimited amount of users ( once each though ) until the time peroid is over.
    Last edited by Chickenfeed; 09-27-2012 at 06:02 AM.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8

Xtreme Addict
    Where do we find these codes he is giving out? This is the first I even heard that some were already given away
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Addict
    Follow Randy's twitter account here for more info. He has said there will be another much easier to grab opportunity coming up this weekend as the codes released yesterday were redeemed in mere seconds on the PC and in couple minutes on the 360. The new ones won't expire from usage but on a time counter ( guessing a few hours hopefully)

I've heard mixed opinions on whether its more benificial to redeem some keys to make it through playthrough 2 or merely save them for level 50. I'll probaley just back up my save and do some testing if thats possible ( I believe you can loot the chest and just kill the process so it doesn't save until you get something you like )
    Last edited by Chickenfeed; 09-27-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    Feedanator 7.0

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfeed View Post
    Follow Randy's twitter account here for more info. He has said there will be another much easier to grab opportunity coming up this weekend as the codes released yesterday were redeemed in mere seconds on the PC and in couple minutes on the 360. The new ones won't expire from usage but on a time counter ( guessing a few hours hopefully)

I've heard mixed opinions on whether its more benificial to redeem some keys to make it through playthrough 2 or merely save them for level 50. I'll probaley just back up my save and do some testing if thats possible ( I believe you can loot the chest and just kill the process so it doesn't save until you get something you like )
    you should beable to back up your save file and have someone else in the game. you should also beable to doop that way like in BL1.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Enthusiast
    don't just back up your save file, back up your .bin file from the same folder. it's what controls keys, badass level and shared bank. This means if you save that, you can refresh keys by copying it back right after using them. I recommend using this method as a means of getting a weapon you like and would actually use, not as a way of farming the out of purples. Make the gold key at least pay off in something other than shotguns and pistols (unless you like shotguns/pistols), and then go back to annihilating everything.

For the record, no I haven't tried this, but it is post-patch information (although another patch may be on it's way). I'm still enjoying the thrill of random purple drops, as they feel a bit rarer than BL1.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.

don't just back up your save file, back up your .bin file from the same folder. it's what controls keys, badass level and shared bank. This means if you save that, you can refresh keys by copying it back right after using them. I recommend using this method as a means of getting a weapon you like and would actually use, not as a way of farming the out of purples. Make the gold key at least pay off in something other than shotguns and pistols (unless you like shotguns/pistols), and then go back to annihilating everything.

For the record, no I haven't tried this, but it is post-patch information (although another patch may be on it's way). I'm still enjoying the thrill of random purple drops, as they feel a bit rarer than BL1.
    Just tried it and it works.

i am actually liking the lack the purple and oranges since it makes the game much harder. in my 1st play through the only oranges i got was a shield quest reward and a rocket launcher that shoots fireworks that the guy a play co-op with took since i do not use them.

i do wish that whites and dahl would quit dropping though. they server no use and whites do not sell for anything.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i am actually liking the lack the purple and oranges since it makes the game much harder. in my 1st play through the only oranges i got was a shield quest reward and a rocket launcher that shoots fireworks that the guy a play co-op with took since i do not use them.

i do wish that whites and dahl would quit dropping though. they server no use and whites do not sell for anything.
    Agreed on all counts. The only item duping/hacking I did in BL1 was after I had beaten the 2nd playthrough.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I will probably be buying this I loved BL1. I just need to turn on my desktop sometime this year and sit and play a game for once haha
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am Xtreme
    i really dont want to turn this into a fight about physx, but i was wondering if people are generally pleased with how it was implemented or if things seem quite off. i dont like blood that moves around like jello. but the cloth effects and implode effects are pretty cool at times.

as for gameplay, love it. and i cant wait for more expansions
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Member
    I have only got to Santuary (taken this long to get my pc sorted out), but i absolutely love this game. So glad they kept the same humor from the first long, and it looks great!
    i7-3770k / Maximus V Extreme / G.Skill Trident X 2400 2x4gb 10-12-12-31-2N / 2x Sapphire 7970 Dual X OC / 4x Samsung 830 128GB / Corsair HX1000

Xtreme Member
    I was playing this game for a few hours everyday and it felt like I might as well be playing another DLC for BL1. Seriously, 3 years later and only Claptrap's sense of humor has become worse. But then I got Dishonored and don't think I'll be coming back to this for a few weeks
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Xtreme Mentor
    This game is really full of fun

Quote Originally Posted by Tao~ View Post
    I was playing this game for a few hours everyday and it felt like I might as well be playing another DLC for BL1. Seriously, 3 years later and only Claptrap's sense of humor has become worse. But then I got Dishonored and don't think I'll be coming back to this for a few weeks
    it feels unfunished like it is an expansion and the DLC they are planing should have been in the game (or atleast a couple of them.) they also check your steam account for dlc now and do not just load all of the files so that sucks.

Xtreme Mentor
    Borderlands 2 Steam Key - 24H Deal Greenman Gaming - 14.80$ with GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS code.

Thanks to CDH for the info

XS News
    Haven't played it more than a few hrs, my wife and I agree its just a rehash of BL1 but less entertaining, quiet upsetting since we invested so much time in BL1 and simply loved that game.
    i7-3820
    SB Z
    16GB 2200
    GTX690
    1KW Lazer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaMerc View Post
    Haven't played it more than a few hrs, my wife and I agree its just a rehash of BL1 but less entertaining, quiet upsetting since we invested so much time in BL1 and simply loved that game.
    I'll agree that the first several hours do drag on. A fair number of reviewers knocked it for this very same thing. Where the game starts to feel fleshed out when you get loaded up on some of the side quests and can feel the humor level pushed to the max. Truly, the gems of the game are in the sidequests. The main story line is significantly more serious (at least comparatively).

If I recall, the primary game story/quest writer wasn't an accomplished video game writer, so you can feel he was learning as he went.