Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim

Hybrid View

:)

Skyrim

I was thinking about pre-ordering Skyrim until I found the following out:

No stats, just gaining skills depending on how you play - leaves me wondering how well that will work.

The main thing is that bothered me is that it's designed for consoles and will be a PC port. "We wanted to make it so that you could pick up the controller and play. The average person could get into it."

Sure Bethesda has a huge modding community, but mods will take a while to get out there which makes me think that pre-ordering will not be a good idea.

There's another article on that site that says the 360 version and the PC version look the same. Not sure how true that is though. Maybe it was meant to hype up sales on the 360
    Last edited by Zayras; 06-09-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill 2133MHz 9-11-10-28| ASUS DCII GTX 580 | Samsugn 256GB 830 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, Hitachi 1TB | Noctua NH-D14 | Seasonic X750

its the same as oblivion and if u look at the e3 demo they played on the keyboard
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

:)
    Weren't there stats in Oblivion? Never really got into it lol. I guess Bethesda will optimize it for PC, I'm still rather skeptical though

Edit: I guess the stats are "behind the scenes," but I hope they don't leave them behind the scenes for PC. I don't understand why they would do that even for 360... we're not so dumb that we can't figure them out, lol
    Last edited by Zayras; 06-09-2011 at 11:34 PM.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill 2133MHz 9-11-10-28| ASUS DCII GTX 580 | Samsugn 256GB 830 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, Hitachi 1TB | Noctua NH-D14 | Seasonic X750

It will be fully moddable so the PC version will have many improvements. The mods made a huge difference for Oblivion.
    Phenom II 945 (95w)@3.5Ghz
    Geil BlackDragon 1066 2x2GB
    Gigabyte 790X UD4P
    WD 640GB Black
    Gigabyte GTX 470
    Corsair HX620-Hiper Anubis case
    Windows 7 Home 64bit
    Samsung 27" monitor

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the skills are going to work like fallout. which i kinda like actually. perks and what not.

as for the graphics and everything else, 1 thing, the pc version of a game will almost never look the same as a console, as pc has resolution adjustment. yes, yes i know console run in 1920x1080, but thats not entirely true, a console would never get 30 frames a second on some of these games if it truely ran that, its actually upscaled from whatever resolution that need to achieve 30 frames a second. usually they balance look with resolution and the res ends up being between 1100xsomething or whatever it is and 1280x800, and then they upscale from there.

not to mention, look at the previous games by this developer, they all did look better on a PC.
    Last edited by Decami; 06-11-2011 at 04:52 AM.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

Quote Originally Posted by Decami View Post
    the skills are going to work like fallout. which i kinda like actually. perks and what not.

as for the graphics and everything else, 1 thing, the pc version of a game will almost never look the same as a console, as pc has resolution adjustment. yes, yes i know console run in 1920x1080, but thats not entirely true, a console would never get 30 frames a second on some of these games if it truely ran that, its actually upscaled from whatever resolution that need to achieve 30 frames a second. usually they balance look with resolution and the res ends up being between 1100xsomething or whatever it is and 1280x800, and then they upscale from there.

not to mention, look at the previous games by this developer, they all did look better on a PC.
    most games are 560i then upscaled on the 360 and 720p then unscaled or not on the ps3.

also the consoles have 256MB of graphics memory so u cannot use good textures but the game looked great and was demoed on the pc so thats telling me that there is a huge difference like when u get a game like batman AA or SF4 that was only on pc to make the graphics in the commercial look good. but this is beth so they should have started with the pc as the primary platform as thats what they always have done in the past.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Addict
    Skyrim was developed for PC and later ported to console. Also, the PC version will contain DX11 content such as tessellation and depth of field enhancements. The above quote was more than likely done to get console gamers to purchase Skyrim because traditionally huge RPG titles like the TES series tend to not play well on consoles due to their complexity. Since the console market is so large, ignoring them would be foolish.

I have a friend on the Dev team for Skyrim whose info has been flawless so far. PC gamers will not be let down.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Skyrim was developed for PC and later ported to console. Also, the PC version will contain DX11 content such as tessellation and depth of field enhancements. The above quote was more than likely done to get console gamers to purchase Skyrim because traditionally huge RPG titles like the TES series tend to not play well on consoles due to their complexity. Since the console market is so large, ignoring them would be foolish.

I have a friend on the Dev team for Skyrim whose info has been flawless so far. PC gamers will not be let down.
    Great news if so. But you better not be wrong.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor
    300 hours complete gaming announcement is a good start. Hope Bethesda will deliver and bring an epic TES game.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    300 hours complete gaming announcement is a good start. Hope Bethesda will deliver and bring an epic TES game.

I hope so to. I loved the other TES game's and I hope this one will be even better
    proud to be from Belguim ^^

Lightpainting and hardware are my life!

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, I hope not. If I get "let down" much more I'm not going to have any further down to go.

I have such a burning hatred for console gamers right now.... and their willingness to shovel money out for crap. It's encouraging everyone to release more crap! Just spend most of the budget on a marketing campaign and bang off another e release for the sheeple to consume.

Not saying Skyrim will be like that, of course. I reserve judgement till I see it. But I have been burned so much it's getting hard to get excited about anything now.
    EVGA z68 FTW
    i7 2600k @ 4.8
    8gb DDR3 1600
    3x GTX 580 3gb HydroCopper2
    Silverstone Strider 1500W
    Areca 1880i w/ 6x intel x25m
    On water

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tet5uo View Post
    Yeah, I hope not. If I get "let down" much more I'm not going to have any further down to go.

I have such a burning hatred for console gamers right now.... and their willingness to shovel money out for crap. It's encouraging everyone to release more crap! Just spend most of the budget on a marketing campaign and bang off another e release for the sheeple to consume.

Not saying Skyrim will be like that, of course. I reserve judgement till I see it. But I have been burned so much it's getting hard to get excited about anything now.
    agreed, hopefully BF3 and Skyrim will bring us into the ridiculous fun we used to have with PC gaming!

bring back the days where pc games were designed based on crazy ideas from the dev teams and then released with the company saying, "i hope you guys like it." .....and we did.

get rid of these days where the games are designed based on marketing numbers of research of what gamer's supposedly want and the company releasing the game saying "this is the best thing you will ever play i swear" and its not.

didnt seem to be a problem selling game when they did that, and its what built these legendary titles.
    Last edited by Decami; 06-12-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

Xtreme Recruit
    So many games coming out in November. How is a guy supposed to find time to play them all?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just pick the good ones. I'm hedging my bets on Skyrim, Even if it has 'problems'; released within hours tweak mods should take it from 'Meh' to unparalleled gaming nirvana, like Oblivion before it. Then again I'm partial to games that let you make your own unique douchebags, rather than forcing you to play as some generic douche.

THe question really is if its a console focused of pc focused game. in theory its much easier to change from pc to console, but for some reason companies target consoles first.
    I do however feel like i want to get that game, just worried it will be another crappy console sequel to a great pc game.
    We will have to wait and see i guess.

From what I have seen, Skyrim will be PC first. No console can handle what Skyrim looks like it will be without looking like sh|t.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    wow so @ 0:20 he literally said, "we use the console as our lead SKU, so we developed toward the console, and then ported to PC. its not too bad actually."

lol at least hes honest about it. i just hope that the menu doesnt have huge arse text like Oblivion, and you can navigate easy with mouse and keyboard. just dont butchered the UI too bad. any word on mod tool?
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Quote Originally Posted by Philip_J_Fry View Post
    wow so @ 0:20 he literally said, "we use the console as our lead SKU, so we developed toward the console, and then ported to PC. its not too bad actually."

lol at least hes honest about it. i just hope that the menu doesnt have huge arse text like Oblivion, and you can navigate easy with mouse and keyboard. just dont butchered the UI too bad. any word on mod tool?
    were are u looking for that.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    were are u looking for that.
    what do u mean?
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Xtreme Mentor
    Just gotta remember not to buy this on launch. Regardless of how good Morrowind was, I couldnt get into oblivion at all even with mods, and this one is looking even worse.

Fallout 3 wasnt my type of RPG either, I didnt really want TES going into that route.

Those graphics really don't look any better than vanilla Oblivion.... dear god I hope the PC version looks way better than that and actually plays like a good PC game.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    the lead designer came out said "consoles are our lead sku." what did u expect? this whole porting games from 360 thing really pisses me off. i bet they didnt even bother to improve the PC UI for mouse an keyboard. i guess i will just have to play it with 360 controller until some good UI mod is out

or wait for a couple months until it drops to below $50, and u know this is another thing. they r charging us the same price as consoles. yet they dont have to pay royalties to M$, Sony on the money they made on PC games ... what the hell? so they r screwing PC gamers further by treating PC gamers as 2nd class citizen, and making more money per copy off of PC gamers
    Last edited by Philip_J_Fry; 10-31-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Skyrim is ESRB:M , I like that. Hopefully it will be mature and not some childish folktale sort-of, like its predecessors. And hopefully the storyline will be slightly mysterious/twisted (unlike any of Bethesda's previous games). Fallout 3 was good, the VATS combat was exciting and I have hopes the new engine will make Skyrim better at that front.

Mostly its the storyline,gameplay mechanics and character dev. I am interested in. Graphics/Background score will only add value. I hope its a (major) bug free release - and we'll probably get to see some decent mods once the toolkit is public.

But so far, what I am guessing is- you start as some nobody (like all previous games) and there will be a legend of Dovak'iin the dragonborn going around (Nerevarine anyone ?) , with may be prophecies to complement - and you meet dragons along the way whom you slay and acquire their powers - eventually learning that you are the dragonborn ( 'sif) and there will be some mundane main quest about stopping some Dark force from oblivion who will wreak havoc. If thats that - I will be disappointed. Witcher 2 has set my standards high.

PS: No,I have no idea about the game other than that I have just seen the trailers and played Morrowind/Oblivion.
    Last edited by Tao~; 10-31-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Xtreme Member
    OMG, I can't wait much longer for this game I'm a BIG fan of Oblivion But on RPG's Baldur's Gate will always be the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Morphling View Post
    OMG, I can't wait much longer for this game I'm a BIG fan of Oblivion But on RPG's Baldur's Gate will always be the best!
    if u get a console the 360 and ps3 versions have been leaked for almost 2 weeks now. im having a hard time resisting the leaks since im out of games since batmanAC was delayed for the pc.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast