Thread: File Sharing Programs?

Xtreme Addict

File Sharing Programs?

I'm trying to find a file sharing program that allows me to directly send someone a file, not store it on a service... something easy to use that's very stable. I need to send some files back with someone who's never done it before, and has never even used a messenger.... so, yeah. Can someone help me? All I'm finding is services you pay for, messengers, old stuff I've seen before, and stuff that doesn't look like I should trust it.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

I am Xtreme
    E-mail?
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    just make a torrent. upload it. send them the linky. and download it?

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    E-mail?
    most email have 5-10mb limits?

Xtreme Addict
    I thought Comcast blocked torrents... and besides I don't know how to use them. Also one of the files is half a gig. So email won't work.

Can someone just recommend a good file sharing proggy? Please? As in Peer to Peer? Something that's safe, and not a torrent? I'm not going to ask this person to figure out how to download a torrent.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 06-09-2011 at 02:43 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

torrents are super easy to make i guess.. you could google it. and no torrents arent blocked by anyone in the states, i dont belive. and if they did most people would switch isp's as like 70% of people are pirates

hmmmm. could zip it to multi files and put it on site like rapidshare

or buy a cheap flash drive and mail it to them?

I am Xtreme
    uTorrent can make torrents with pretty much one touch of a button.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    most email have 5-10mb limits?
    No idea, I've been with Gmail for years, it's free, no limits, and I have more free space than on my hard drives...

You could get Opera for file sharing purposes (Unite).
    Last edited by zalbard; 06-09-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    uTorrent can make torrents with pretty much one touch of a button.

No idea, I've been with Gmail for years, it's free, no limits, and I have more free space than on my hard drives...

You could get Opera for file sharing purposes (Unite).
    nope gmail has like 5mb per email send limit

Dropbox has a 2GB free account

Quote Originally Posted by The_Beast View Post
    Dropbox has a 2GB free account
    good call!

Xtreme Guru
    what about that hamachi? or even MSN messenger will allow you to share files P2P as in directly. teamviewer...theres a bunch of em
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Member
    I think most chat clients have this ability... Or you could use something like wsftp or filezilla and set up an ftp on your machine and have an anon logon (or make a real one, maybe use sftp...) and only have your service run while your friend gets the file or two you have in a folder then turn off your service. If you are using a router, you would probably have to do some configuration there as well, but it's not too bad. Otherwise I would say check out dropbox (by far the easiest IMO) or just put it on a flash drive and give it to them if they are close or use an sd card and mail it to them? the sneakernet lives!!

Desktop (and Cruncher #1):AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.03Ghz | Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P (F8n) | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB @ 9-9-9-24-1T 1680MHz | Radeon HD 5850 & 5830 | Silverstone ST75F 750W | 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 3x1TB WD RE3 (Raid 5) | Lian Li PC-A70B
    Cruncher (#2): Intel Core I7 920 (stock) | EVGA X58 SLI | G.Skill Pi 3x2GB | 2x Radeon HD 6870 | Corsair HX850 | Some Janky HDD | LanCool PC-K7
    Cruncher (#3): Intel Core I7 2600k (stock) | BioStar TH67+ | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB | Antec Basiq550 | Some Janky HDD | Antec 300
    Server: Intel Atom | 2x2GB DDR3 | ThermalRight TR2-430 | Some Less Janky Laptop HDD | Fractal Core-1000
    Mobile: Lenovo X120e

Xtreme Member
    Uh oh, too many options in the digital era

Where is Johnny Mnemonic when you need him

Xtreme Addict
    HFS ? its a free little web server app

I like uTorrent. Real easy to use.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs