Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Zambezi ES performance weirdness

Xtreme Enthusiast TheBlueChanell's Avatar
    The start of back to school season is just about a month away. Llano needed to be out by then, that's a killer time for Notebooks. Release the parts now, get a ton of good press and then they'll be available by the time people are ready to shop for back to school.

Your tech people will suggest to their layman friends that they pick-up one of these notebooks when asked for recommendations. I know I will be recommending Llano based laptops to pretty much anyone looking for something in the ~$800 range. For the everyman, Llano is perfect and a great stepping stone towards something awesome.
    Main: 900D - Prime 1000T - Asus Crosshair VI Extreme - R7 1700X @ 4.0ghz - RX Vega 64? - 32GB DDR4 3466 - 1TB 960 Pro -
    --- XSPC AX360 x3 - HK IV Pro - HK RX480 - HK 200 D5 - BP Compression ---
    HTPC: 250D - Prime 850T - Gigabyte G1 ITX - i7 6700K @ 4.5ghz - GTX 1080 Ti - 16GB 3200 - 1TB 960 Pro -
    --- ST30 x UT60 - Kyros HF - KryoGraphics 1080 - HK100 DDC - Monsoon Compression ---
    HV01: Define XL R2 - Prime 1200P - Asus Zenith Extreme - TR 1950X - RX580CF - 128GB DDR4 ECC - 512GB 960P - 4x 2TB RE
    HV02: Node 804 - Prime 850T - SuperMicro X1SSH - E3-1230 v6 - Vega FE - 64GB ECC - 512GB 960 Pro - 4x 6TB Gold -

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueChanell View Post
    The start of back to school season is just about a month away. Llano needed to be out by then, that's a killer time for Notebooks. Release the parts now, get a ton of good press and then they'll be available by the time people are ready to shop for back to school.

Your tech people will suggest to their layman friends that they pick-up one of these notebooks when asked for recommendations. I know I will be recommending Llano based laptops to pretty much anyone looking for something in the ~$800 range. For the everyman, Llano is perfect and a great stepping stone towards something awesome.
    Its too late, they already missed the Back to school season for systems.

RussC
    My Rig
    PII955-C2 3.8GHz, 2.5MHz NB
    GSkill 2x2GB DDR3-2400@900MHz
    M4A87T Antec 900 Case, Custom Mods x5Fans
    Custom Water Cooling: 15x12 3-Core Radiator
    4xSunon 4.5W Fans, DD12V-D5 Laing Variable Pump
    DD MC-TDX Water Block
    700W OZC ModX Power Supply
    GB HD6970OC2 Video Card
    2x150GB Raptor Raid

I am Xtreme
    ^based on graduation happening just last week?!?, lol
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RussC View Post
    Its too late, they already missed the Back to school season for systems.

RussC
    you must have a very strange season system then
    why do you think so many OEM are already showing a nice amount of LIano laptops? they already ordered and got delivered large amount of APU. Larger then expected by AMD after also the success of brazos shipments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Banned
    @RussC

Dude, i get realism.I get pessimism.
    But summer hasnt even started yet and youre telling amd missed back to school season already.Stop smoking that .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    JF when will first commercial servers based around Orochi ship to customers? Will it be at the server BD launch or you're holding cards (CPU's) close to your chest before then?

I have a little server to upgrade and wondered if it's worth holding a month or two for it
    First commercial servers based on interlagos will be sold, under NDA, prior to launch, as we have said in the past. I will most likely be in Asia for the launch, but don't know for sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by XRL8 View Post
    @JF, without saying what AMD did to ES in this special "design" we wont know nothing and youre not willing to say so thats impass.

It would be good to know if there are newer samples, but i doubt JF is going to tell us.
    When you make samples, they are based on the same design that you plan to take to market. You can run the fab hot, get really high speeds and really low yields. You can run the fab cold and get lower speeds and higher yields.

When you are developing silicon having a larger number of chips in your hands for validation is far more important than having the highest clock speeds. Your yield and results will tell you what you can expect from a standard distribution.

Now please give it a rest. There is no conspiracy here, people are trying to create controversey when there should be none.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Now please give it a rest. There is no conspiracy here, people are trying to create controversey when there should be none.
    Thanks for clearing that up.Thats what i have been saying all along.ES have lower clocks and thats that part about "designed for lower perfomance".
    It does not however explain the weirdness of B0 ,and as you said earlier, AMD does not intentionally cripple ES.So they must be crippled on their own, ie BUG.
    Its no conspiracy theory.Pure logic, based on every other ES, and your comments.I just dont get why people "got on to me" about my comments.
    As to the core of the problem, informal on his blog has some rather interesting take on it.However im afraid well never know.
    And yes, im giving it a rest ;-)

I am Xtreme
    I totally agree.
    It's very obvious, logical and well-explained. There is no need to discuss this further.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for clearing that up.Thats what i have been saying all along.ES have lower clocks and thats that part about "designed for lower perfomance".
    It does not however explain the weirdness of B0 ,and as you said earlier, AMD does not intentionally cripple ES.So they must be crippled on their own, ie BUG.
    Its no conspiracy theory.Pure logic, based on every other ES, and your comments.I just dont get why people "got on to me" about my comments.
    As to the core of the problem, informal on his blog has some rather interesting take on it.However im afraid well never know.
    There is not a bug. I am sorry that you can't comprehend this fact. There is nothing more I can say because you just aren't getting it.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme Member
    When you are developing silicon having a larger number of chips in your hands for validation is far more important than having the highest clock speeds..
    Exactly, Most important thing is to iron out ALL the kinks and the more chips you have the higher the chance that you'll catch everything.

Banned
    There is not a bug. I am sorry that you can't comprehend this fact. There is nothing more I can say because you just aren't getting it.
    Well , you could.Just explain why they perform worse than the athlon II.Not give out ALL possibile reasons for it.

Of course if im led to believe what youre saying, it means BD will have lower performance than deneb clock for clock.Ok.

Guys.
    Do you really think statement "tuned for lower performance due to lower clocks" explains the behaviour of this samples ? And not only low clocks ?
    If the chip doesnt have a bug and isnt crippled (ie microcode) on purpose.It just means That IPC wise it should perform like the final product.

So yes, im probably to stupid to comprehend something explained this vaguely.
    "Chip performs as expected due to lower clocks, it has no bug, nor was intentionally crippled,it is slower than Athlon II CLOCK FOR CLOCK but it isnt"

@Allmighty, no bugs, no kinks to iron out, mainboards are final, only problem could be in CPU.

Xtreme 3D Team
    If it is slower in new steppings than Athlon II CPC, then 3.8 Ghz, and 4.0 launch would not be enough, don't you think?
    Stop making assumptions on leaked benchmarks by literally three or four people tested on boards that do not have final bios support.

Rememember someone saying UD5 vs UD7 had a big performance difference? Remember that the rest of the results came on 890 Series boards? I suspect huge Turbo/C&Q issues due to poor bios code. That has nothing to do with the CPU.
    Smile

Xtreme Cruncher
    Zambezi is designed to offer 30-50% performance increase within the same power envelope as previous design.This means that even with higher core count,it must perform somewhat better than Deneb at the same clock and it must clock higher(in order to achieve 30% better performance in ST workloads). Stop worrying about some ES results as they are irrelevant.What is relevant is end product.
    Also,take a look at this article(disclaimer:BSN):
    In a talk with company representatives, we learned that Patriot plans to launch DDR3-1866 kits as well. Patriot decided that they will wait for final silicon from AMD in order to qualify their parts and achieve the best possible performance. This was like listening to the same story we heard from a lot of other AMD "partners" - AMD was so tight on keeping the performance of the parts leaking that it actually delayed the performance optimizations of the upcoming products in the ecosystem (especially on the motherboard side). This is a far cry from Intel, which continuously sends performance optimized silicon or microcode updates so that partners can have a tweaked platform at launch.

Then again, AMD deliberately wanted to keep everything under wraps in order not to get beaten to the punch by a more resourceful competitor and it seems that the company really have a winner on their hands in more markets than one (Fusion Llano offers excellent GPU performance, FX to offer 1GHz+ Turbo mode).

Xtreme Member
    XRL8

What is your point, you posting and posting all this stuff?
    What you need from samples that were never meant to be any fast?
    Of course they must have erratas that fixed by microcode. This lets to use them as normal chips running with no errors though slow.

Again, what you are trying to tell?
    You think production chips will be just little bit faster? Everybody had that thought (but dropped it because it won't make any sense)...
    Or, you you think you caught JF lying and you have to bring this to everyone?
    Or, what? Just aggressively guessing?

Wait just one month.
    Windows 8.1
    Asus M4A87TD EVO + Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3900MHz + HD3850
    APUs

Xtreme Addict
    First

And then...

Well , you could.Just explain why they perform worse than the athlon II.Not give out ALL possibile reasons for it.

Of course if im led to believe what youre saying, it means BD will have lower performance than deneb clock for clock.Ok.

Guys.
    Do you really think statement "tuned for lower performance due to lower clocks" explains the behaviour of this samples ? And not only low clocks ?
    If the chip doesnt have a bug and isnt crippled (ie microcode) on purpose.It just means That IPC wise it should perform like the final product.

So yes, im probably to stupid to comprehend something explained this vaguely.
    "Chip performs as expected due to lower clocks, it has no bug, nor was intentionally crippled,it is slower than Athlon II CLOCK FOR CLOCK but it isnt"

@Allmighty, no bugs, no kinks to iron out, mainboards are final, only problem could be in CPU.
    Crosshair IV Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7G
    6950~>6970 @ 900/1300
    4 x 2G Ballistix 1333 CL6
    C300 64G
    Corsair TX 850W
    CM HAF 932

Xtreme Addict
    5 words come to mind when reading all these posts from xrl8

UN BEE LEAVE A BULL
    LEO!!!!
    amd phenom II x6 1100T | gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 . .
    2x2gb g.skill 2133c8 | 128gb g.skill falcon ssd
    sapphire ati 5850 | x-fi xtrememusic. . .
    samsung f4 2tb | samsung dvdrw . .
    corsair tx850w | windows 7 64-bit.
    ddc3.25 xspc restop | ek ltx | mc-tdx | BIP . .
    lycosa-g9-z2300 | 26" 1920x1200 lcd .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So amd is running fabs cold for es's, to get max yields and low clocks along with some bug in ES?
    Expect retail chips to be made running fabs hot and bugs gone.

::: Desktop's - Intel *** Intel 2
    2 x Xeon E5-2687W *** Intel i7 3930k
    EVGA SR-X *** Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 x4 960Gb *** 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb
    Avermedia LiveGamer HD capture card
    Caselabs TX10-D
    14 x 4 TB WD RE4 in RAID10+2Spare
    4 x Corsair AX1200

::: Basement DataCenter :::
    [*] Fibreoptic connection from operators core network
    [*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] Additional SAN machines with FusionIO ioDrive Octal's (4 total Octals).
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rintamarotta View Post
    So amd is running fabs cold for es's, to get max yields and low clocks along with some bug in ES?
    Expect retail chips to be made running fabs hot and bugs gone.
    I heard that you have seen/had some healthy ES, anymore info please?

ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duploxxx View Post
    you must have a very strange season system then
    why do you think so many OEM are already showing a nice amount of LIano laptops? they already ordered and got delivered large amount of APU. Larger then expected by AMD after also the success of brazos shipments.
    @RussC

Dude, i get realism.I get pessimism.
    But summer hasnt even started yet and youre telling amd missed back to school season already.Stop smoking that .
    Mmm, the back to school season is in 6-7 weeks. Well see. With AMD its always better to be pessimistic than optimistic.

RussC
    My Rig
    PII955-C2 3.8GHz, 2.5MHz NB
    GSkill 2x2GB DDR3-2400@900MHz
    M4A87T Antec 900 Case, Custom Mods x5Fans
    Custom Water Cooling: 15x12 3-Core Radiator
    4xSunon 4.5W Fans, DD12V-D5 Laing Variable Pump
    DD MC-TDX Water Block
    700W OZC ModX Power Supply
    GB HD6970OC2 Video Card
    2x150GB Raptor Raid

Banned
    @BeepBeep at least one of the tests was on a 990FX final bios mainboard.And no, i dont think AMD would launch a chip in that state.
    @SEA im not trying to tell anything, as this thread title says, im trying to understand why B0 performs as it is.Nothing more.And no, JF hasnt made it any clearer,on the contrary.
    @Lowrun i did leave it alone, just to be graciously attacked by JF of not being able to comprehend simple things.So i answered exactly what i mean.
    @crazydiamond ,very informative and on topic.

Rintamarotta seems to think thare was a bug in this ES ,and he probably had one.
    I too expect final chips to be bug free and much higher clocked!

I wont post in this thread as it seems no one is still on topic and it lost its purpose in this regard.So be happy people!
    As an addendum i would like to point out that people read in TOO MUCH in what ME and JF was saying.
    I didnt think it has anything to do with the chips were going to get in retail.
    And JF didnt say anything about actual chips performance or explained why it performed like it was.He only listed the things that could go (theoretically) wrong.And informed that most ES`s are lower clocked due to yields.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FlanK3r View Post
    This is just unreadable
    Crosshair IV Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7G
    6950~>6970 @ 900/1300
    4 x 2G Ballistix 1333 CL6
    C300 64G
    Corsair TX 850W
    CM HAF 932

I am Xtreme
    the only thing i THINK i understood was that AMD is better at scheduling than windows, and that drivers can improve BD performance
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Member
    at least one of the tests was on a 990FX final bios mainboard.
    The bios needs to be tweaked for zambezi, so does the microcode. So i would not call it final.
    Think they are working on AGESA rev0.0.7.6 right now.
    The boards are released as "BD ready"... they will work with a BD right on, but for full support/functionality a bios update is needed...

My stuff
    PhII x6 1055T @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 + Scythe SL12SH PnP | Asus Crosshair IV F | 4GB Dominator 1600 CL8 | Corsair HX520W | CM HAF932 | Dell 2405FPW | Creative 5.1 THX |

Xtreme 3D Team
    @BeepBeep at least one of the tests was on a 990FX final bios mainboard.And no, i dont think AMD would launch a chip in that state.
    If you dont want to post in this thread, fine, but I will tell you one thing...

Latest AGESA code for Bulldozer does not equal bios's on released boards tuned for Thuban.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    the only thing i THINK i understood was that AMD is better at scheduling than windows, and that drivers can improve BD performance
    Considering windows vista/7 are specifically shipped with AMD drivers from K7 to K10.5, that makes sense
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 06-16-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    Smile

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast