Thread: Which 120Gb SSD to buy?

Xtreme Member

Which 120Gb SSD to buy?

I'm looking for some advice on which 120Gb SSD to buy. I'm looking to spend around $250.
    I have a G skill SSD and it's been good so far, but I've heard it's better to avoid Sandforce drives.
    Any recommendations?
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

I am Xtreme
    Still on SATA2? If so, go with Intel 320.
    Otherwise pick Crucial C300 or M4.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Look at this OCZ SSD that uses PCI...

seems really fast to me...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227578

maybe a little over budget

Xtreme Member
    There are a number of SSDs that would suffice and, yes, the Revo as well is a sweet PCIe if you are using it in a desktop system. For that system specifically, I would def grab the Revo as it will exceed the SATA 2 barrier you will see with the SATA 2 interface.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolslave View Post
    I'm looking for some advice on which 120Gb SSD to buy. I'm looking to spend around $250.
    I have a G skill SSD and it's been good so far, but I've heard it's better to avoid Sandforce drives.
    Any recommendations?
    Intel 320 should be the default choice, except for unusual usage cases.

Based on the SSD Write Endurance test I would say stick with Intel for now. The 320 most likely for you.l

Xtreme Member
    Normally I would say go with the OCZ Vertex 3 however one can't be too certain just yet if they have in fact fixed the problem with them even tho they have claimed to. See http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...l=1#post643689

I like my Vertex 2, very reliable and trouble free but there are faster drives. The Crucial C300 has had several firmware updates so most of the bugs should be ironed out. If you have a SATA 6GB/s controller then it would be a good choice. The Crucial M4 is still on original firmware (I think) so might be a bit of a risk. Intel might not be quite as fast as the others but are incredibly reliable.

BTW benchmarks don't always translate to faster real-world usage. Read as many reviews of SSDs as possible then make your choice.
    Intel S1155 Core i7 2600K Quad Core CPU
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 Socket 1155
    DDR3 16GB (4x4G) G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz RAM Kit
    128GB Crucial M4 2.5" SATA 3 Solid State Drive (SSD)
    2TB Western Digital BLACK edition 64M SATA HDD
    1TB Western Digital Green 64M SATA HDD
    NVIDIA GTX560 1GB Gigabyte OC PCIe Video Card
    23.6" BenQ XL2410T 3D LED Monitor
    CoolerMaster RC-922M-KKN1 HAF Mid ATX Case Black
    Thermaltake 775 Watt Toughpower XT ATX PSU
    LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray Writer
    Corsair Hydro H70 High Performance Liquid Cooling System

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by therat View Post
    Normally I would say go with the OCZ Vertex 3 however one can't be too certain just yet if they have in fact fixed the problem with them even tho they have claimed to. See http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...l=1#post643689
    I don't think they have fixed anything. All they are saying is it is not a hardware problem that affected Corsair and that Intel RST drivers are to blame. Strange as people on OCZ's forum have reported that other brand SSD's work OK on their systems, where OCZ drives do not. Corsair stated it was hardware and f/w, so presumably when they start shipping replacement drives there will be a new f/w version on them. Considering Corsair stated a 10 day turnaround replacement drives should be turning up anyday now so presumably a f/w fix is already developed and is being tested.

Xtreme Member
    I agree, not too many OCZ users (if any) who were experiencing problems are reporting that it is fixed. A new firmware is the only fix and by the look of things that is still a way off.

At this point in time, buying a proven and tested SSD would be the best option even if it means a bit less speed. Alternatively wait till the problem is in fact fixed.
    Intel S1155 Core i7 2600K Quad Core CPU
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 Socket 1155
    DDR3 16GB (4x4G) G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz RAM Kit
    128GB Crucial M4 2.5" SATA 3 Solid State Drive (SSD)
    2TB Western Digital BLACK edition 64M SATA HDD
    1TB Western Digital Green 64M SATA HDD
    NVIDIA GTX560 1GB Gigabyte OC PCIe Video Card
    23.6" BenQ XL2410T 3D LED Monitor
    CoolerMaster RC-922M-KKN1 HAF Mid ATX Case Black
    Thermaltake 775 Watt Toughpower XT ATX PSU
    LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray Writer
    Corsair Hydro H70 High Performance Liquid Cooling System