Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Koolance Dual DDC *Single Bay* Reservoir! (RP-401X2)

I am Xtreme

Koolance Dual DDC *Single Bay* Reservoir! (RP-401X2)

[Admins: I should have named this "Koolance Dual DDC *Single Bay* Reservoir! (RP-401X2)"]

We didn't stop with our dual 5.25 DDC reservoir unit (RP-402X2). We've now managed to provide the same features in a single 5.25" bay. So if you have only one drive bay available, we offer the new RP-401X2!

Yes, you can still do one pump or two, in serial or parallel, and combine or separate the reservoirs. We also have a serial pipe connector kit available for this product. Combining the reservoirs is achieved through the bottom this time, by removing a stainless steel cover plate and removing a standard G 1/4 socket plug (pics below).

This product is easier to bleed than the original RP-402X2, but I would say takes a little more time than the Rev1.2 with the bleed kit. It's certainly do-able, though. I completed one with dual pumps using the serial connector pipe and acrylic piece, with both pumps at 12V, in about 10min. It helps to have an actual load on the loop via rad/blocks/etc. when bleeding, though.

There were two things we dropped to fit two DDC pumps and reservoirs into a single 5.25" bay. RP-401X2 has only top fill ports and none on the front window [UPDATE: Front fill ports are now available on Revision 1.1.]. Also, this unit won't take our PMP-400/DDC heat sinks or DDC with plastic feet (they need to be cut).

Pics!

Tim
    Last edited by Koolance; 01-03-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: (Pictures now show Rev1.1)

I am Xtreme
    The top fill ports pretty much kills the usefulness of this in most computer cases.

I am Xtreme
    Goddammit Tim, I hate you guys!!!

Defo going to have to get at least one of these even though my wallet is going to strangle me.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Do want. I needed a new res/top combo, this is perfect!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    The top fill ports pretty much kills the usefulness of this in most computer cases.
    Still working on that, but it's difficult to mill everything necessary in this profile (and a lot of window/reservoir space would be lost). For customers who won't be able to pull out their reservoir a couple inches to fill, I'd recommend the dual bay RP-402X2, or else filling from somewhere else in the loop.

Tim

I am Xtreme
    XS is becoming the home to resbians
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Chasing After Diety
    umm im kinda lost... it looks like the DDC's are inverted upside down?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post

Defo going to have to get at least one of these even though my wallet is going to strangle me.
    yeah im hating tim right now also!

lolol... if i could compress my bay down, i am all in for it.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 06-08-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I am Xtreme

We haven't even released our standalone acetal bay reservoirs yet. :p

Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    umm im kinda lost... it looks like the DDC's are inverted upside down?
    Yes, they run upside-down. I know it's not a suggested orientation, but our RP-1000 has been fine doing this since 2007 (we also had an ERM cooling system that did it). Because of the tight path work on this one, RP-402X2 will probably still provide a bit better flow overall. But if you only have one 5.25" bay available...

Tim

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    How's it bleed?

Awesome product.
    The outlets for the reservoirs are actually at the very bottom of the unit. You can see the path in the last image with the SS plates removed.

Tim

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    PERFECT! now i can have a cdrom.

Xtreme Guru
    Woah, first it was two D5 in just dual bays, now this. Tim, you guys lately manage to break quite a few boundaries we were accustomed to

Pitty this particular design imho might be compromised a bit performance-wise with inverted pump position (IIRC not advised as per Laing specs) and possibly 90deg turn on inlets due small size. I understand that it was needed to get inlet height at least a bit under coolant level, but still, i'd probably would have went with pumps with inlets up or with pumps vertically on back of res (shouldn't matter much if it's outside 1 bay height in back of res, as it still can be mounted near eg. some fan controller), as bleeding issue with inlet being close to coolant level may be solved with including some t-line in set for topping off coolant level.
    Tim, what do you think of 2 things for rev2?:
    - add fillport from below for those wishing to mount inverted with T-line (hmm, or in back of res where inlets/outlets are?)
    - move "Koolance" and "RP-401X2" writings on front plate to sides vertically, so that they look ok even if one mounts inverted?

Xtreme Addict
    Holy moly that's smexy!!!

...but I have 2x D5 Strong pumps ....and I want a 3rd
    PROJECT :: The Xtreme (WET) Dream!!!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    E6750 @ 4GHz QX9650 @ 4.6GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :
    Sempron140 @ 4Ghz (Stock Cooler)
    i7 3960x @ 5.4ghz (Air Cooler)

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
    Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
    Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes, they run upside-down. I know it's not a suggested orientation, but our RP-1000 has been fine doing this since 2007 (we also had an ERM cooling system that did it). Because of the tight path work on this one, RP-402X2 will probably still provide a bit better flow overall. But if you only have one 5.25" bay available...
    Hello Tim,
    Now this is what I've been yearning for for my HP Blackbird project. The Blackbird cases don't have much room for watercooling, but I did a pretty decent job with a custom kit, and running a very decent SuperMicro setup.

1x 5.25" Bay available, and currently I have a Bitspower Bayres in there, and directly underneath a dual DDC pump setup, all hidden and out the way. This will actually simplify my setup even further, and a huge pity all that nakedness will be hidden, as th BB have a cover in front of the bay.

When can I buy one of these? I am dead serious, I will take one now if I can.....

You can have a quick look-see in my Project Log here, thread 109, to see what I mean. Pics are a little old now, I need to post latest. BUt you can see the Bitspower res, and yours will be the Cat's tail.....

Another question, and sorry for off-topic, your nex 370 CPU blocks, will they by any stretch of the imagination support Xeon 771 socket format....it looks like it might, and I really hope so.

Yes yes, I know, should upgrade to latest Xeons, but this rig is super-powerful, running as a process simulator, and I cannot justify replacing it, for the little gains I won't even notice.

Appreciate your feedback, Tim, thanx Mate.

edit: Mmmm...before the forum police knock me over the head, I see you have it available on your site. Quick question - will the flow work fine if I mount this vertical, i.e with the mounting screw-holes top and bottom, and the pumps facing sideways? I cannot lay it flat, due to bay orientation in the BB case. If answer is yes, I will pull the trigger and order one.
    Last edited by MrBean; 06-09-2011 at 02:50 AM.
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBean View Post

When can I buy one of these? I am dead serious, I will take one now if I can.....
    Here
    http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...roduct_id=1174

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ah, pulled the trigger. Good. Ta m_jones, actually saw the link in Tim's first post. I should wear my glasses more often.

edit:

@ Waterlogged: You're complaining -> mine has just strangled me, and what's worse, you visit Tim's site with the idea to buy 'just' a reservoir, and you end up spending $385 incl. shipping. Yeah right, the Missus' gunna rip me a new rear-orifice, for sure - but, damn, been married for 20 years, so I have perfected evasive maneuvers.....I hope....

If you guys want, I will post some pics of it installed into the Blackbird next weekend.

Thanx to Tim for a great product, for us weeners with single 5.25-bay PC's :flowers:

@ Uncle Dave (aka Movieman): About time I finalise my X7DWA-N rig, but, I tell you, that motherboard barely makes it into this case. But, still as stable and reliable as the day you got it for me, Dave, you need to pop over Down Under for a visit. I owe you one.

Soz for off-topic, Boyz.
    Last edited by MrBean; 06-09-2011 at 04:38 AM.
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

I am Xtreme
    The pumps had to be inverted to keep the reservoir inlets on the bottom (for bleeding purposes). The only other way we could think of would be lengthening the unit and adding more complicated piping (+$), or else losing the single-piece acetal aspect. Designing for this unit made the dual bay version look very spacious . The RP-401X2 was really intended for the single-bay convenience factor-- we still recommend the RP-402X2 if space is available.

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    - add fillport from below for those wishing to mount inverted with T-line (hmm, or in back of res where inlets/outlets are?)
    - move "Koolance" and "RP-401X2" writings on front plate to sides vertically, so that they look ok even if one mounts inverted?
    Extra fill ports in different areas are being looked at. I do like the idea of rotating the logos... if we ever get front fill ports on this thing, the logos may need to be moved any way (and the actual reservoir windows would get very tiny).

Quote Originally Posted by MrBean View Post
    Another question, and sorry for off-topic, your nex 370 CPU blocks, will they by any stretch of the imagination support Xeon 771 socket format....it looks like it might, and I really hope so.
    Sorry, I think the last blocks we made with Xeon 771 support were the CPU-345 and CPU-350.

Tim

Xtreme Addict
    Picked mine up to replace my dead XSPC res top. A slot thinner and a lot better looking wins for me. Got the 180 connector as well, so I can experiment.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    can i just flip it and use drain as fill ports ?

I am Xtreme
    Tim, These look like they won't work with the heat sink kits, is that correct? If so, I think I'll wait for the Rev. 1 version.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Tim, These look like they won't work with the heat sink kits, is that correct? If so, I think I'll wait for the Rev. 1 version.
    Last sentence of the OP:

Also, this unit won't take our PMP-400/DDC heat sinks or DDC with plastic feet (they need to be cut).

I can pretty much guarantee the heat sinks won't fit - there simply isn't the space available in the height of a single 5.25" bay. A DDC w/stock top is almost as tall all by itself.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by subtec View Post
    Last sentence of the OP:

I can pretty much guarantee the heat sinks won't fit - there simply isn't the space available in the height of a single 5.25" bay. A DDC w/stock top is almost as tall all by itself.

I can't believe I don't remember reading that.

Depending on how deep the channels from the res to the pumps are, there may be enough room to play with to go deep enough for the sinks to fit in a revision. I may just get one of these when they pop up at P-PC's/FCPU anyways and see if I can get away with some modding.
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Addict
    Wow. Awesome. 4 x DDC in series in a dual-bay footprint.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar

I can't believe I don't remember reading that.

Depending on how deep the channels from the res to the pumps are, there may be enough room to play with to go deep enough for the sinks to fit in a revision. I may just get one of these when they pop up at P-PC's/FCPU anyways and see if I can get away with some modding.
    and also most people dont have full length stuff stacked in 5.25 bays. i want with heatsinks and will just stick fan controller in the 5.25 above it?

would that work?

Xtreme Addict
    Yes it is, though I'm not sure if I see the point in 4 in series.

Tim, you guys released a product that made my wife open her wallet. I'm still trying to get her to get a dual one for hers, but she runs a D5 and a FrozenQ res.

Ever thought about white delrin versions? I know some guys with the white Phantoms that might be interested.

Can't wait till it gets here. Gonna get myself a budget superstar up and going.

BTW, NKrader, capital idea. Probably will do the same.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    and also most people dont have full length stuff stacked in 5.25 bays. i want with heatsinks and will just stick fan controller in the 5.25 above it?

would that work?
    Considering how short most fan controllers are, it should. IIRC, I think some of the Sunbeams might come close to causing issues but not sure exactly how close they would get.

Tim, may I also suggest a revision for the sink kit as well. Lose the tabs, I don't think a whole lot of ppl are using them.
    Circles SucQ!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast