Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Thread: Official EK statement - Nickel Plating Issues

Just a word of caution ... I'd like to thank Kayin for doing his testing, and hope we'll see others do some work as well.

BUT, let's not jump to conclusions about what the results of any particular tests mean with respect to the overall quality of materials used, or the plating process.

Just to add to the time reference...

I finally said screw it and opened up my block. It's definitely got issues just from looking at it. Especially in the pin area, you can clearly see areas where the copper is showing through the plating. Outside of the pins there's quite a few places where there are strange faded swirls in the plating as well. The area where the O-ring is seated is pretty bad too.

Anyways, this is just for a time-frame reference, I bought my block November 21st 2010.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BDW88 View Post
    That part of the world is known for doing shady stuff and there's no way to know for sure if Edvard knew or not..
    Ease down with the stupid comments or I will dedicate my immediate future to pursuing the goal of getting you banned for some time based on the breaking of counts 1,2,9,12 of the forum guidelines. Make your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by .::NeO::. View Post
    true that,

is there a way to check what batch each block belong?
    Not on the block itself. Maybe there is some numbers on the original packaging from which you might make it out?
    Last edited by Erklat; 06-08-2011 at 05:48 AM.
    ..:Core i7 870///eVGA P55 Classified///VTX3D Radeon 6970///Asus Xonar D2X///16GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL///WD 6400AAKS 640Gb///Samsung F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB///Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB///Pioneer DVR 216///Seasonic X-series 850///Corsair Obsidian 800D///Logitech G15 rev.1///Logitech G400@Zowie G-TF Spawn///Philips 240SW:..

..:EK Supreme Acetal///Bitspower Black Freezer EIP55NSC///Magicool Pro III///S-Flex E@7v///Laing DDC-1T w/ EK Plexi top///EK Multioption 150:..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Interitus View Post
    Just to add to the time reference...

I finally said screw it and opened up my block. It's definitely got issues just from looking at it. Especially in the pin area, you can clearly see areas where the copper is showing through the plating. Outside of the pins there's quite a few places where there are strange faded swirls in the plating as well. The area where the O-ring is seated is pretty bad too.

Anyways, this is just for a time-frame reference, I bought my block November 21st 2010.
    damn... feel sorry for you dude

just a question: did you notice some nickel floating in your reservoir?

i mean, Kayin here

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=271913

is saying that he got some nickel in his loop... So i was just wondering if the reservoir is clear and the water is clear, does it mean that the blocks are safe?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    on a positive note... my nickle plated EK block on my 5850 still looks fine and its had F1 Acid Green in it for a year or more now..
    SYSTEM
    i5-3750K @ 4.6ghz - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB Samsung DDR3 - Sapphire R7 370 Nitro 4GB
    Water Cooling
    EK Supremecy - DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top -Swiftech MCR320-QP - EK Multioption 150

So 1 statement ,18 pages later , and still NO other response from Eddy ? There have been a few tests done , talked about , exposed , and still no Eddy around to even give a response? Now that's AWESOME customer service !

I think everyone is jumping the gun here a bit on Kayins testing , we cant look away now and assume the problem might be the copper now . Appreciate your tests man , but i still think something is going on with the plating process itself rather then saying the copper isnt 100% copper , i may be wrong but i dont wanna stray away from our initial thoughts .
    Last edited by Aedubber; 06-08-2011 at 06:17 AM.
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by .::NeO::. View Post
    damn... feel sorry for you dude

just a question: did you notice some nickel floating in your reservoir?

i mean, Kayin here

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=271913

is saying that he got some nickel in his loop... So i was just wondering if the reservoir is clear and the water is clear, does it mean that the blocks are safe?
    Mine's never been installed, so no. It's brand new, fresh out of the box. First time I've opened it.

I'd show some pics if my camera would play nice with the nickel reflections. It's too bright in here right now, maybe tonight I'll try to take some.

Xtreme Member
    My loop is full EK (HF Nickel/Acetal + Full Cover Rampage 3 Extreme block Nickel/Acetal + EK 360 Rad + EK DCP 4.0 + EK Fittings and EK 250 advanced res.). Didn't tore my loop apart but i can tell that my reservoir looks clear, my tubing is clear, water is clear (i use Aquacomputer Double Protect Ultra Clear) and from the little red plexy of my MB block i can't see anything wrong with the nickel plating...

loop is 1 month old

Xtreme Member
    using my block since Feb with destilled water, DP-ultra protection and a shot of isopropylalkohol and the reservoir is clear since then.
    1st: i7 2600K@4,6Ghz@1,28 Vcore || Asus MIVE Rev.3 || Bios 3208 || 2 x 4096 MB Corsair Vengeance || Asus GTX 580 CU II || WC with Koolance-370 || EK-VGA Supreme HF || Mora3 Pro

2nd: i7 2600K@4,6Ghz@1,32 Vcore || Asus MIVE-Gene Z68 || EVGA GTX 280 || 2 x 4096 MB ADATA XPG G Series v2.0 || WC with - EK-Supreme HF Full Nickel || VGA HK || Mora2 Pro

5,0 Ghz LinX_Stable_Club

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedubber View Post
    So 1 statement ,18 pages later , and still NO other response from Eddy ? There have been a few tests done , talked about , exposed , and still no Eddy around to even give a response? Now that's AWESOME customer service !

I think everyone is jumping the gun here a bit on Kayins testing , we cant look away now and assume the problem might be the copper now . Appreciate your tests man , but i still think something is going on with the plating process itself rather then saying the copper isnt 100% copper , i may be wrong but i dont wanna stray away from our initial thoughts .
    You miss the point. The plating will not "stick" to the copper no matter the process if the copper is a mixed bag of metals.

OK - time for another request that people calm down. Also - don't fight with each other in this thread. You can disagree with someone's comment, but do it without attacking.

As for Eddy not responding to comments or questions ... as of now there are 439 posts in this thread alone. It's going to take some time to digest everything, and he is most likely doing additional work to sort things out.

Maybe Eddy should make a comment that after 439 posts he's been reading this and looking into these issues? Something from Eddy would be good at this point.
    DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5
    Phenom II 955BE Lapped
    Mushkin 2x2GB
    VisionTek 4870
    WD150 V-Rapter
    WD250
    Corsair 850TX
    HAF 932/Custom Paint
    XSPC Rasa/MCR320QP
    Alphacool VPP655/MCRES

OK - I've just deleted a couple more posts. If you can't be civil then take a break and don't post for a while.

What part of "don't fight with each other" is not clear?

I am Xtreme
    Shazza,

This topic has resulted in more deleted posts and deleted members than any that I can remember.

Xtreme Addict
    I think at this point all anyone wants is clarification from the man himself on issues such as what happens next in terms of their individual circumstances.

From what i have read, the general consensus throughout most forums is that the EK report isn’t worth the paper its written on yet it seems the only person not to “get it” is Eddy himself yet rather than take the damage limitation stance which for sure would have cost a few €€€’s in the short term but at least given some customer satisfaction, Eddy is taking a massive gamble on suggesting its user error which isn’t going down too well from what i am reading and i guarantee he will have lost a lot of customers for ever over this which could be his downfall long term and i wouldn’t imagine the vendors with EK stock on their shelves are too happy with his stance either.

I honestly think Eddy’s handling, or lack of this whole monumental debacle is what is annoying folk most and i don’t doubt for one second he’s not keeping up to speed with forum feedback but to say nothing isn’t doing him any favours at all.

Eddy, do what the Toyota president did back in February and at least come out and make a public apology which at this point in time may play an influential part to how your business transpires over the coming months.

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    BUT, let's not jump to conclusions about what the results of any particular tests mean with respect to the overall quality of materials used, or the plating process.
    Agreed. Kayin's experiment brought up an interesting possibility... However, until proper testing is done (e.g. mass spectrometry), most of the conversation involving this alternate explanation/contributing factor is little more than speculation.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmiester View Post
    I think at this point all anyone wants is clarification from the man himself on issues such as what happens next in terms of their individual circumstances.

From what i have read, the general consensus throughout most forums is that the EK report isn’t worth the paper its written on yet it seems the only person not to “get it” is Eddy himself yet rather than take the damage limitation stance which for sure would have cost a few €€€’s in the short term but at least given some customer satisfaction, Eddy is taking a massive gamble on suggesting its user error which isn’t going down too well from what i am reading and i guarantee he will have lost a lot of customers for ever over this which could be his downfall long term and i wouldn’t imagine the vendors with EK stock on their shelves are too happy with his stance either.

I honestly think Eddy’s handling, or lack of this whole monumental debacle is what is annoying folk most and i don’t doubt for one second he’s not keeping up to speed with forum feedback but to say nothing isn’t doing him any favours at all.

Eddy, do what the Toyota president did back in February and at least come out and make a public apology which at this point in time may play an influential part to how your business transpires over the coming months.
    Eddy is aware of Kayin's findings and is looking into the possibility that he is being supplied sub-par copper (he replied to my email). With that said, if at the end of everything this does turn out to be the case of bad supply, what would everyone expect EK to do? If they do not resolve the bad supply problems any replacement you get may have the same problems as the originals. As before this is still a very tricky situation and one that requires careful handling. Personally I think it is being handled as best as it can be considering the circumstances.

The current advice I have received from EK is to use corrosion inhibitors containing ethylene glycol.
    This is for an EK Supreme HF block Full Nickel.

I profess I am not great expert on water cooling but and enthusiast enjoying the hobby. I am currently sitting on the unopened block and to be fir cannot say I see any external problems.
    I am also to understand opening the block invalidates the warranty.

What is frustrating is not knowing what to do. The community response is enough that I am not confident on using the block in my loop for fear the issue develops (a problem I can ill afford). I am also unhappy using Anti freeze in the loop due to its poisonous nature and having a young daughter in the house.

Has anyone got any advice for those of us holding relatively (4 months old) new blocks and unsure what to do with them?

For reference I already have bought and received 5ltrs of Mayhems Ultra Pure H20 and have a kill coil on order.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyndre View Post
    Has anyone got any advice for those of us holding relatively (4 months old) new blocks and unsure what to do with them?
    no because we dont know whose telling the truth, and who has complete information.

Its like this:

1. If its just the nickle process, then that is fixable... if u have a nickle block, a RMA to the new nickle would work.

2. If its bad copper, then no, that is not fixable, nor should you try to fix it.
    If the copper has impurities, and has other galavinic metals inside it, then its just opening a new can of worms.

3. if people are taking a razor to the nickle and scratching it for attention, well, then it means this entire case was bs. (but too many people would need to take a razor to the nickle and scratch it).

Right now we dont know which side is correct, and which side has the most info.

Until you we get proof on who is correct, in all honestly, its just too dangrous to run a possible impure copper block.

To be honest, id rather go back on AIR until this whole situation is sorted if you must have EK.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyndre View Post
    The current advice I have received from EK is to use corrosion inhibitors containing ethylene glycol.
    I have used ethylene glycol "HydrX" with two EK nickel blocs for 18 months with no issues.
    System:1
    Banchetto
    I7 860 4.2Ghz | Asus Maximus III Formula | EVGA 2 GTX295's | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator GT Ram @ 2000 8-9-8-24-1T | OCZ RevoDrive3 120Gb SSD | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | EK-FC285 Nickel| Thermochill PA 120.3 | TFC Xtender Shrouds |DD Monsoon Premium D5 Dual Bay Reservoir | MCP655-B|Noctua NF-P12| HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System:2
    Sunbeamtech Ultra-Tech Station
    I7 875K 4.4Ghz | EVGA P55 LE | PNY Quadro FX4800 | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator Ram @ 1600 8-8-8-24-2T | 2 OCZ Vertex2 60Gb SSD RAID 0 | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | DD Koosah | 2 Thermochill PA 120.1 | TFC Xtender Shrouds | EK-DDC X-RES 100 | MCP350 | Noctua NF-P12 | Indigo Xtreme | HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System Videos

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    Eddy is aware of Kayin's findings and is looking into the possibility that he is being supplied sub-par copper (he replied to my email). With that said, if at the end of everything this does turn out to be the case of bad supply, what would everyone expect EK to do? If they do not resolve the bad supply problems any replacement you get may have the same problems as the originals. As before this is still a very tricky situation and one that requires careful handling. Personally I think it is being handled as best as it can be considering the circumstances.
    I am glad that Eddy is looking into it. Thanks for letting us know.
    I'd expect at least shipping the replacements to us to be free of charge. That's common courtesy.
    Also, getting replacements and shipping to a nearby reseller instead of dealing with EK directly would be a great way to save time and money for both us and EK.
    Last edited by zalbard; 06-08-2011 at 09:24 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Also, getting replacements and shipping to a nearby reseller instead of dealing with EK directly would be a great way to save time and money for both us and EK.
    it appears that is what he is planning

This thread is closed soon and rolled back to first post.

Thanks EK for acknowledging the problem as well as offering some resolve, the only suggestion I would have is to extend the RMA period to six months to a year and that should satisfy everyone.

A non issue now that EK offers an RMA to those who purchased that block.

NOTE: this is a water block, not a heart valve...
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617