Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Official EK statement - Nickel Plating Issues

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    That said, feel free to ignore me.
    dont we always?

Technician
    My mate who bought his blocks around september last year has just checked his (plexi/nickel 470) and he has a small 5mm size piece of wear through the nickel on one of his blocks. Not on the cooling surface, on one of the corners of the plexi lid. The other looks fine, but this is just at a cursory glance through the top. He uses lab distilled + killcoil and has never had anything else in his loop. He did say no flakes - it looks like its worn away rather than flaked off.

DEFINITELY not just limited to US/Canada/Australia.

Xtreme Member
    i will unmount mine @ weekend and check. let u then know the condition.

another question: does this issues depend on all nickel revisions ?
    Last edited by Sauron_Vie; 06-07-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    1st: i7 2600K@4,6Ghz@1,28 Vcore || Asus MIVE Rev.3 || Bios 3208 || 2 x 4096 MB Corsair Vengeance || Asus GTX 580 CU II || WC with Koolance-370 || EK-VGA Supreme HF || Mora3 Pro

2nd: i7 2600K@4,6Ghz@1,32 Vcore || Asus MIVE-Gene Z68 || EVGA GTX 280 || 2 x 4096 MB ADATA XPG G Series v2.0 || WC with - EK-Supreme HF Full Nickel || VGA HK || Mora2 Pro

5,0 Ghz LinX_Stable_Club

Xtreme Addict
    It's a shame EK's (the company) customer service pattern has recently been so poor. I remember an EK (the person), not so long ago, who took an unpopular position with his full cover blocks I found so compelling I contacted him to personally ship me one from Slovenia.

Over the years EK (the company) has made an innovation or two, improved the performance of every one of their products and made some incredibly beautiful pieces. It's unfortunate that I'm accosted by reasons to take my business elsewhere, and forced to convince myself to purchase EK's (the company) product over another's.

When it comes down to it, H2o cooling is a luxury, a hobby and a means to an end. It's not worth becoming a hassle, and in the end I am far less likely to purchase a product that might become one. I am even less disposed to purchase from a company that is, itself, likely to become the bother should an issue arise.
    Last edited by warriorpoet; 06-07-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    Components
    Case: Cooler Master ATCS840/ PSU: Seasonic X750/
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-z68xp-ud4/ CPU: i5 2500k 4.2-4.8 GHz @ auto/
    VGA: EVGA GTX570 SC 940, 1880, 4500 @ 1.1v (Lucid dGPU)/ Memory: 8 Gb G.Skill DDR3 1866
    Storage: Corsair Force 3 120Gb SSD, Samsung 470 128Gb SSD, WD Scorpio Black 750 (Scythe Quiet Drive)
    OSs: Win7 HP x86_64/ Kubuntu 11.04 x86_64
    Cooling
    CPU: Koolance CPU-370/ GPU: Koolance VID-NX580/ Rads: XSPC RX360, Swiftech MCR-220QP/ Pump: EK-DCP 2.2 (softmount)
    Fans: 3x Noiseblocker m12-S1 @~500-750rpm, 3x Scythe GT 800 @~450-800RPM, Cooler Master 230mm (softmount) @300 RPM
    Tubing: 3/8" x 5/8" Primochill LRT (black)
    Fittings: Koolance compressions and 45/90 degree fittings

Certified Quiet PC Loony

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    Older nickel appears to be a lot better.

I found something far more disturbing, but I'm not done with the analysis yet.

I'm also conferring with some others who have had a chance to play with the blocks and have info to share. I feel like I'm on the cusp of a breakthrough, but I don't want to be hasty in the least. Let's just say a test I left running today gave wild results.
    Please do share :P
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Xtreme Addict
    Older nickel appears to be a lot better.

I found something far more disturbing, but I'm not done with the analysis yet.

I'm also conferring with some others who have had a chance to play with the blocks and have info to share. I feel like I'm on the cusp of a breakthrough, but I don't want to be hasty in the least. Let's just say a test I left running today gave wild results.
    Oooohhh, mad science! I better be impressed! Now that you set me up this way, you cannot disappoint hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Guys - we're not going to post the poll. We already have two large threads with the issue, and others are popping up with more detail about specifics.

I understand the idea of the poll is well-intentioned (is that a word?), but we still won't be able to get a true representation, as not everyone comes to forums. I'd say that most of the people who visit here and have been affected have posted.

EK has posted their findings and response, and people are getting the opportunity to voice their opinion. We'll leave it at that for now.
    Would you post a poll along the lines of:

which are you?

1. I use nickel plated EK product with silver kill coil and had no such issue
    2. I use nickel plated EK product with silver kill coil and had corrosion
    3. I use nickel plated EK product with a biocide and had no issue
    4. I use nickel plated EK product with a biocide and had corrosion
    5. I do not use nickel plated EK products.

would that be acceptable? it seems some people say they are ok and some say not, I don't know what's what (and I'm a potential customer)
    DFI 790FXB M2RSH, AMD PII 940, WIN7 64BIT, 2X VELOCIRAPTOR RAID0, 1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, AMD 6950, 4GB DDR2 1066 C5, CREATIVE AUDIGY SE, HAUPPAUGE HVR1300, LIAN LI PC-A71F, SAMSUNG 2232BW, SCYTHE "KAZE ACE" + "PANEL 2". SAMSUNG N150.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by theron View Post
    Would you post a poll along the lines of:

which are you?

would that be acceptable? it seems some people say they are ok and some say not, I don't know what's what (and I'm a potential customer)
    I don't mind this.

Xtreme Member
    ok, i am on the rev 2 block. will c then if i got this issue also.
    1st: i7 2600K@4,6Ghz@1,28 Vcore || Asus MIVE Rev.3 || Bios 3208 || 2 x 4096 MB Corsair Vengeance || Asus GTX 580 CU II || WC with Koolance-370 || EK-VGA Supreme HF || Mora3 Pro

2nd: i7 2600K@4,6Ghz@1,32 Vcore || Asus MIVE-Gene Z68 || EVGA GTX 280 || 2 x 4096 MB ADATA XPG G Series v2.0 || WC with - EK-Supreme HF Full Nickel || VGA HK || Mora2 Pro

5,0 Ghz LinX_Stable_Club

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wermad View Post
    I'm looking into MetalX B-929 to strip the nickel. I won't send my blocks and pay for shipping, that's ridiculous. Plus, once the nickel is all gone, I can run copper with distilled with ease. I use to run all copper until I jumped on the nickel bandwagon, what a nightmare
    I won't be shipping mine either

-never tried it my self ,
    - but would it be possible for you \ us on the gpu block's to just mask off the area just out side the "O" ring[wet area only] , mask it then have it gently sand blasted[ body shop ?] should remove nickel - maybe\will leave lightly pitted copper but the rest of the block will look like new ,stripping it will look like crap I think.
    -that area also has only one threaded hole[580] [mask also or insert old screw]
    -does not need sharp sand to be used. any sand blasters in the house ?
    -any pic's of a year old copper only gpu block using DT & Kill coil ?
    MVF WC ||3770k-KL370||CM932||AX1200||580 sli -EK||
    3XMCR320\w655 EK[basement]||w655 EK[HAF932] || VL4N||MR||2xfan controllers || 9 x S-Flex F -[rads]
    8gb Trident 2400||Samsung S27A850D||Win7HP-64||2x120gb G2 R0 OS||2x150Vraptors R0-backup|| G15,G13||G9x
    PC sound>forte analog>Yamaha 765>4xPSB alpha B1>alpha C1>10" sub [very clean sound].+sens PC360

Xtreme Member
    I got EK 6990 and 6970 blocks and I won't be RMAing them instead I will be throwing these POS Slovenian blocks in the trash
    Mountain Mods ex. Ascension + pedestal - EVGA X58 Classified (E759) - i7 980x@4.5 - 6990+6970 Tri-Fire

@ theron - we won't be doing any polls on the EK situation.

Xtreme Addict
    I would give Eddy a chance to make good on this.

Let him chase a supplier for a bit. My research didn't look like intentional cheaping out-it looked like a supplier that gives C110 electrolytic one week and reclaimed phosphor/copper alloy the next. It was the oddest thing ever.
    Considering that the price of metals has been fluctuating a lot lately and that copper theft was pretty rampant locally here (people are cutting out telcom wires all over the place over the last 2-3 years) I would not be surprised if this is a classic case of switching the supply mid-way on the supplier side hoping that nobody will notice. If this turns out to be the case I really feel for EK.

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Thanks for testing the copper Kayin, seems like we all missed that.

OK...

If EK looks into the supplier side, and does find shenanigans going on from the supplier, I think we all owe each other an apology.

EK to us for blaming us.
    Us to EK for mercilessly attacking EK over the plating when it wasn't that at all.

When I say "Us" I just mean collectively. I know some of us have been much more level-headed than others over this whole ordeal but I'm just speaking about XS as a whole.

So EK, time to look into your copper supply.

And thanks again Kayin for taking the time to look into this deeper and find the root of the problem that everyone missed!
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

EK actually has a Poll on their website already that is VERY similar to this:

HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Xtreme Member
    Would other metals affect Nickel Plated blocks such as the Metal Plug contained in the Koolance 452X2 Reservoir ?
    PC Specifications

CPU - i7 920 D0 4.2 GHz 24/7 RAM - OCZ Animal 6GB PC 1600 Motherboard - EVGA Classified 760 Videocard - EVGA GTX 580 (Vanilla) 972MHz Core Tower - Obsidian 800D PSU - Corsair AX850

Cooling Specifications

Radiators - TFC X-Changer 360, EK 140 Video Card - EK FC580+ (R2) CPU - Apogee XT R2 Motherboard - EK-FB EVGA X58 Pumps - Swiftech MCP655-B X 2 Reservoir - Koolance (RP-452x2) Fan Controller - Aquaero Pro Liquid Cooled.

Member of 4.5GHz Linx Club

Xtreme Member
    Duped or knowingly knew it was impure and bought it at little to no cost.

That part of the world is known for doing shady stuff and there's no way to know for sure if Edvard knew or not..
    Mountain Mods ex. Ascension + pedestal - EVGA X58 Classified (E759) - i7 980x@4.5 - 6990+6970 Tri-Fire

Quote Originally Posted by BDW88 View Post
    Duped or knowingly knew it was impure and bought it at little to no cost.

That part of the world is known for doing shady stuff and there's no way to know for sure if Edvard knew or not..
    Let's not go opening that can of worms. While that is a possibility, we don't need to go assuming things.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Let's not go opening that can of worms. While that is a possibility, we don't need to go assuming things.
    Components
    Case: Cooler Master ATCS840/ PSU: Seasonic X750/
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-z68xp-ud4/ CPU: i5 2500k 4.2-4.8 GHz @ auto/
    VGA: EVGA GTX570 SC 940, 1880, 4500 @ 1.1v (Lucid dGPU)/ Memory: 8 Gb G.Skill DDR3 1866
    Storage: Corsair Force 3 120Gb SSD, Samsung 470 128Gb SSD, WD Scorpio Black 750 (Scythe Quiet Drive)
    OSs: Win7 HP x86_64/ Kubuntu 11.04 x86_64
    Cooling
    CPU: Koolance CPU-370/ GPU: Koolance VID-NX580/ Rads: XSPC RX360, Swiftech MCR-220QP/ Pump: EK-DCP 2.2 (softmount)
    Fans: 3x Noiseblocker m12-S1 @~500-750rpm, 3x Scythe GT 800 @~450-800RPM, Cooler Master 230mm (softmount) @300 RPM
    Tubing: 3/8" x 5/8" Primochill LRT (black)
    Fittings: Koolance compressions and 45/90 degree fittings

Certified Quiet PC Loony

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    There is no way to know for sure, but I choose at this point in time based on my findings to believe this was a good faith effort-it costs about as much in disposal costs to plate nickel right as it does to buy good copper. If the plating was done right and wouldn't stick in some areas, it would point to someone attempting to plate in good faith and being given bad materials.
    Absolutely agree. Lets wait to hear back from Eddy. Seems like he's got some more testing to do.

Xtreme Member
    I don't know what you guys are waiting for Edvard to say he said it already..

He blames the end-user but since he's such a good guy he's gonna go out of his way and rma our screwup's for using silver/PT+distilled.

Chasing After Diety
    I would give Eddy a chance to make good on this.

Let him chase a supplier for a bit. My research didn't look like intentional cheaping out-it looked like a supplier that gives C110 electrolytic one week and reclaimed phosphor/copper alloy the next. It was the oddest thing ever.

You know what tho, this would answer a lot of the corrosion we were seeing in some of the pictures.

If the plating failed, and the copper wasnt pure, then yeah, i can see the results happening..
    Also some of the blocks that werent performing correctly... yeah, if the copper was tainted, i can also see that happening.

oh man... this will shatter EK.

Because instead of voiding just his nickle blocks... we cant use ANY of his blocks...

Oh man... i wont say anymore on this..

OK...

If EK looks into the supplier side, and does find shenanigans going on from the supplier, I think we all owe each other an apology.
    no..

not this time sparky...
    If it comes out bad copper then it is going to be BAD for EK.

Why?

Because they spent all that money on "expensive and through" testing... and it didnt show the copper base plate itself was tainted.

Im sorry, isnt it included in every test to make sure your source is solid and pure?
    Instead of picking several blocks at random, did they pick there best samples and send it over?
    Is that really a test?

So if the copper is bad... no... this is going to be a VERY BAD SCREW UP on PR for EK.
    And im talking Biblical proportions.

Someone who has a yamyamyam'd block send it to Kayin.
    If he pulls 2 / 2 ... i dont care if even CalTech / MIT did EK's report...

Kayin b4 you go on the second block... run a control sample though, so you can make sure your setup isnt tainted.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 06-07-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

You're not very forgiving about this, are you Naekuh?

Maybe I'm too nice, too forgiving. Fine.

But if it certainly is bad copper, let's not chew EK out over it, OK? Chew out his supplier? Yes. Tell Eddy he should have paid a little more attention? Yes. Chew him out? No. We've done enough of that (and maybe too much of that) already.

Even the most observant person can miss things sometimes. Especially if the focus is somewhere else.
    The Cardboard Master

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...0&postcount=24

And if someone wants to repeat some of these tests (as I'm running on a bare minimum of stuff here) I'll send out the block.

Petra, wanna test this and see if we get any correlation?
    Sounds interesting... I'd need time to look into my options here as well as get in touch with some people, though.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617 LastLast