Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Official EK statement - Nickel Plating Issues

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfsorroW View Post
    Allright, thanks! (lol) And What about the timeframe of using it? Should I change it every 3-4months, or I just fill the system and forget about it for two years?
    ur best tearing your system down... seriously...

Taking all your blocks to a plater...

Then asking eK for replacement Orings - instead of RMA.

Have your blocks replated... if u do all of them, it shouldnt be more then 100 dollars for everything..

And then reinstall using new orings..

Stay away from premix!
    Its opening another can of super fail... trust me on this.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    RE: the return procedure – maybe the main retailers around the world could maybe consider accepting the returns on behalf of the end user and holding them all at their particular locations then return them in one large shipment rather than having the individual end user ship them direct to EK.

Then EK could have all returns sent out direct to the end user at his expense which would eliminate quite a bit of valuable vendor time and would at least show a bit of good will on EK’s behalf.

In fact other than scrap value, i honesty don’t see what good these returns will do for EK so why not bite the bullet and accept pictorial evidence to eliminate the costly returns procedure to the end user and ship them new blocks as most are having to pull systems apart in their own time and expense which fundamentally isn’t their problem to begin with.

Either way, no doubt this is going to cost EK a fair price so why don’t you do the right thing by the very people that got the EK brand to where it is today (well a couple of months ago) and offer new blocks at your own expense.

Seriously Eddy, you need an English speaking PR to stop this becoming one of, if not the most disastrous PR disasters i’ve seen in my 10+ years of watercooling and at this point, i’m honestly not sure you are aware of how bad this actually looks for the EK brand whether it be from a long time user, or potential new one.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcj66106 View Post
    Waterlogged are you ever going to answer my simple question. Why would you need to plate a copper block with copper? To me that statement is showing your true knowledge of the subject.
    simple. cover oxidized bare copper to get a fresh clean surface. its like painting a car, you need a base paint before go into colour painting.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuToFiRE View Post
    *quarter million dollar frisbee*

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmiester View Post
    RE: the return procedure – maybe the main retailers around the world could maybe consider accepting the returns on behalf of the end user and holding them all at their particular locations then return them in one large shipment rather than having the individual end user ship them direct to EK.

Then EK could have all returns sent out direct to the end user at his expense which would eliminate quite a bit of valuable vendor time and would at least show a bit of good will on EK’s behalf.

In fact other than scrap value, i honesty don’t see what good these returns will do for EK so why not bite the bullet and accept pictorial evidence to eliminate the costly returns procedure to the end user and ship them new blocks as most are having to pull systems apart in their own time and expense which fundamentally isn’t their problem to begin with.

Either way, no doubt this is going to cost EK a fair price so why don’t you do the right thing by the very people that got the EK brand to where it is today (well a couple of months ago) and offer new blocks at your own expense.

Seriously Eddy, you need an English speaking PR to stop this becoming one of, if not the most disastrous PR disasters i’ve seen in my 10+ years of watercooling and at this point, i’m honestly not sure you are aware of how bad this actually looks for the EK brand whether it be from a long time user, or potential new one.
    Well said! +1

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Opening blocks does not void warranty.
    So the stickers that say 'Warranty Void if Removed' and run across the Acetal\Copper line can be cut across that line to remove the top? Im not trying to sound sarcastic, I'm not familiar with EK's RMA policy, and I would find that odd.

I find it funny that some people think that nickel plated EK blocks are useless. An acid bath would remove the nickel plating, and you could keep it like that, or have some other place nickel plate it for you. You shouldn't have to do this, but the block's are most definitely not paper weights. Hell, you could sell them for copper scrap

Quote Originally Posted by prznar1 View Post
    i will say this one more time. why you will not go crazy and chrome your blocks? it could be way easier to find someone who can do that.
    That's already been done on blocks so relax yourself cheech..
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Chasing After Diety
    like an advance RMA?

That sounds good...

Or at the very least free oring mail out, if you decide to plate it yourself.
    Because i honestly dont think they are going to fix it you guys.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 06-06-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by prava View Post
    Everyone recommends those solutions because they have been proved totally safe...until now as per EK's statement.

So, my logic says that if that stuff has been ok for a ton of time (and they are still with all other vendors except EK) then it still is: and thus there is something else going on here with EK platting.
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    NO because that opens a totally new can of worms, for the termite problem you have.
    I call it termite because something is eatting something.

Best solution right now, is get rid of the eattable source.. ie... eK Nickle, and replace it with another vendor's nickle.. ie.. Swiftech, Koolance, DD, AquaCom, Bitspower.... someone who has a more and better refined plating process, and problem is solved.

OR...

Take your blocks to a local plater... have him do a batch job on all the blocks you wanted plated... go out on vacation with GF for the weekend... come back with done and completed blocks... and then your back in happy happy land.

And this is what is pissing me off... because eK is saying no its not the nickle, everyone is thinking all vendors' nickle is bad.
    NO, EK HAS A BAD NICKLE SOLEY, NO OTHER VENDOR HAS THIS TYPE OF ISSUE.
    Thank you guys for putting some perspective into this for some of us who haven't done these things before

Xtreme Member
    those blocks are not broken or something. all is wrong with them is plating, that can be repaired. why would EK trow away all those blocks and made new? that would be much more idiotic thing then blaming coolants ATM.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
    So the stickers that say 'Warranty Void if Removed' and run across the Acetal\Copper line can be cut across that line to remove the top? Im not trying to sound sarcastic, I'm not familiar with EK's RMA policy, and I would find that odd.
    Yeah, you can cut/break the "Warranty Void if Removed" stickers without affecting the warranty. The sticker means it was checked for leaks (and doesn't leak).

I am Xtreme
    Waterlogged are you ever going to answer my simple question. Why would you need to plate a copper block with copper? To me that statement is showing your true knowledge of the subject.
    My, aren't we a bit impatient?

It's simple, the copper plating process fills in small imperfections that the polishing process doesn't get rid of.

...and as for chrome plated parts, you still need to copper plate and nickel plate the parts before adding the chrome layer.
    Last edited by Waterlogged; 06-06-2011 at 01:33 PM.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Yeah, you can cut/break the "Warranty Void if Removed" stickers without affecting the warranty. The sticker means it was checked for leaks (and doesn't leak).
    Yes I believe Eddy stated that it will only void the seal warranty as in leaks

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
    See page 2 of this thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by tiborrr View Post
    Warranty void sticker on the blocks ensures the water blocks is leak-proof out-of-the-box. Breaking the orange/black warranty seal does not void the warranty of your water block.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

People don't live on the forums, give some time

(and no comments from the peanut gallery about ME living on the forums... regardless of how true it may be! )
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    going back to premixes and those in particular because of the glycol, and having to suffer from collection of mystery gelly
    EK LTx + Pre-Mix did not work out too well for me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    My, aren't we a bit impatient?

It's simple, the copper plating process fills in small imperfections that the polishing process doesn't get rid of.

...and as for chrome plated parts, you still need to copper plate and nickel plate the parts before adding th chrome layer.
    Wrong answer. Isn't that what the acid bath is for? Chemical cleaning? If your going to plate nickel then chrome over copper you do not need to plate the copper with copper. You fail!!!!!!!!

I am Xtreme
    Wrong answer. Isn't that what the acid bath is for? Chemical cleaning? If your going to plate nickel then chrome over copper you do not need to plate the copper with copper.
    Filling imperfections =/= cleaning.
    And FYI this is exactly how Swiftech plates their blocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    For reference, our plating consists in 3 "coats":

1/ Copper: thickness: 0.004mm
    2/ Nickel: thickness: 0.005mm
    3/ Chrome: thickness: 0.05mm
    See?
    You fail!!!!!!!!
    Self-inflicted.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    ur best tearing your system down... seriously...

Taking all your blocks to a plater...

Then asking eK for replacement Orings - instead of RMA.

Have your blocks replated... if u do all of them, it shouldnt be more then 100 dollars for everything..

And then reinstall using new orings..

Stay away from premix!
    Its opening another can of super fail... trust me on this.
    I do, I just want to have all options listed.
    i7 950@4.05Ghz HeatKiller 3.0
    EVGA E762 EK WB | 12Gb OCZ3X1600LV6GK
    Razer Tarantula |Razer Imperator | SB X-Fi PCIe
    480GTX Tri SLi EK WBs | HAF X | Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Maximus View Post
    EK LTx + Pre-Mix did not work out too well for me
    try something else then feser :P

Admin
    Let's keep our manners in mind, guys.

No "you fail" or anything like that, please.

Chasing After Diety
    Wrong answer. Isn't that what the acid bath is for? Chemical cleaning? If your going to plate nickel then chrome over copper you do not need to plate the copper with copper. You fail!!!!!!!!
    it really depends on the process, and if it was electro plating or not.

And if it was electro plating, then why is it flaking?
    Because electroplating is supposed to have extreme surface adhesion when done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    For reference, our plating consists in 3 "coats":

1/ Copper: thickness: 0.004mm
    2/ Nickel: thickness: 0.005mm
    3/ Chrome: thickness: 0.05mm
    50um of Cr! Wow. No wonder they don't have problems.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Annirak View Post
    50um of Cr! Wow. No wonder they don't have problems.
    this is why i said swiftech has one hell of a tank plating.

I am Xtreme
    The problem is something is corroding in the loop, and you have no anticorrosive.
    Its only a matter of time b4 the nickle fails, if it fails, or a impurity in the nickle area where it fails, once again, if it fails, and nothing but an anticorrosive will save you.
    Well damn

I guess my next step is to find some kind of reputable additive for my loop (if there is any). Or I can just cross my finger and hope my block was properly plated

Chasing After Diety
    Or eK should play a reputable retailer.. ie.. sidewinders, to take all the RMA's and have have them replate it stateside and mail them back out.

I figure cross shipping and expense wise, that is probably the cheapest solution, because as it stands, i dont think anyone will trust eK nickle until they did a big time fix on there nickle plating process.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast