Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Official EK statement - Nickel Plating Issues

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfsorroW View Post
    Would the water change every two months solve the issue?
    no it would slow it down, but the result is the same without an inhibitor.

The fact is, you shouldn't have to use an inhibitor period.
    And if we did have to use inhibitors, why is it ONLY on EK blocks?

If it was exactly like EK describes, then we should see it on Koolance, Swiftech, AquaComputers... but people have reported they see it on there gpu blocks, yet there koolance 360/370 is still brand spanking new.

So it points to faulty plating. And what CM is asking for is an appology from EK saying its faulty plating and a workable fix to the faulty plating, instead of telling us we cant run distilled in what would normally run OK in any other company nickle blocks, and only use premix while offloading the blame on our coolant.

Last edited by NaeKuh; 06-06-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I am Xtreme
    Does anyone else have any other comments from resellers besides Sidewindercomputers about this matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaseshift View Post
    Does anyone else have any other comments from resellers besides Sidewindercomputers about this matter?
    Daz Mode in Canada make a statement ( starting at 1;50 ) but it's hard to understand what he said

http://www.youtube.com/user/DazMode

Xtreme Addict
    At the risk of somebody saying RTFA or the like, is EK using electro or electroless plating?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    no it would slow it down, but the result is the same without an inhibitor.

The fact is, you shouldn't have to use an inhibitor period.
    And if we did have to use inhibitors, why is it ONLY on EK blocks?

If it was exactly like EK describes, then we should see it on Koolance, Swiftech, AquaComputers... but people have reported they see it on there gpu blocks, yet there koolance 360/370 is still brand spanking new.

So it points to faulty plating. And what CM is asking for is an appology from EK saying its faulty plating and a workable fix to the faulty plating, instead of telling us we cant run distilled in what would normally run OK in any other company nickle blocks, and only use premix while offloading the blame on our coolant.

Yes, that's right. But repeating it in a mantra way won't help a thing. Personally, I now need a solution to the current situation with the waterblocks, and then I will never buy from Ek again. That's just as simple as that.
    From the other hand, everybody makes mistakes, and that's life afterall...
    i7 950@4.05Ghz HeatKiller 3.0
    EVGA E762 EK WB | 12Gb OCZ3X1600LV6GK
    Razer Tarantula |Razer Imperator | SB X-Fi PCIe
    480GTX Tri SLi EK WBs | HAF X | Corsair AX1200

Eddy;
    I need confirmation before I make a gpu block purchase:
    Will this glycol-based additive + distilled water be fully covered by your warranty, and not corrode or flake:
    http://www.dazmode.com/store/index.p...roducts_id=394

Xtreme Member
    Hey Guys,

There is a lot of EK bashing going on here, some of it by people with no experience with EK nickel products.

The failure rate is higher than normal but still statistically low.

Please also dont bash all pre-mix. They are not all the same.
    I have been using Thermaltake green premix for the last year with 3 nickel EK GPU blocks, a full UD9 MB nickle block mixed with an Apogee XT CPU block and now a Koolance CPU370 block. I had some bitspower fittings that did however exibit some form of discolouration and corrosion on the threads. These are all replaced now for several months by Koolance fittings and quick disconnects and I recently did a rebuild and saw no sign of any corrosion or discolouration on any threads.

My EK blocks are in pristine condition and I have no so called sludge or jelly from the premix thermaltake fluid.

Its very easy to be a keyboard critic and have an opinion about anything, but please lets keep it real. EK is after all, a manufacturer of great products that has done the right thing by its customers and enables us to do the stuff we love doing.

They cant possibly test for all scenarios users are going to use their blocks in but they are doing further research for their customers just the same.

Stop the bashing, especially if your not personally experiencing the problem that has been identified. Having 1000's of posts to your name doesnt make you an absolute authority on everything, and some of you should be ashamed of your behaviour.

Share your opinions in a constructive manner, but just remember they are opinions not fact, and just like everyone has an Ahole, everyone is entitled to one.

Love, Peace and Mung beans to you all

I am Intel of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Borg Homeworld - Blog
    i7 3930k @ 5Ghz AC Kryos Silver - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 4 way SLI 3GB GTX 580-UD @ 1000/2200 - 16GB Corsair GT DDR3-2000 RAM - 4 x GTX 360 rads w/ 24 x CM push-pull fans & shrouds - Aquaero 5 XT controller, 6 PA2 Ultras - 2 Flow meters - 2 x Enermax 1500W PSU - MM Extended Ascension Horizon XL-ATX Case - 2 x Koolance 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 pumps - 3 x 24" Acer H243H Surround LCD

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post
    Hey Guys,

There is a lot of EK bashing going on here, some of it by people with no experience with EK nickel products.

I have been using Thermaltake green premix for the last year with 3 nickel EK GPU blocks, a full UD9 MB nickle block mixed with an Apogee XT CPU block and now a Koolance CPU370 block. I had some bitspower fittings that did however exibit some form of discolouration and corrosion on the threads. These are all replaced now for several months by Koolance fittings and quick disconnects and I recently did a rebuild and saw no sign of any corrosion or discolouration on any threads.

My EK blocks are in pristine condition and I have no so called sludge or jelly from the premix thermaltake fluid.

Its very easy to be a keyboard critic and have an opinion about anything, but please lets keep it real. EK is after all, a manufacturer of great products that has done the right thing by its customers and enables us to do the stuff we love doing.

They cant possibly test for all scenarios users are going to use their blocks in but they are doing further research for their customers just the same.

Stop the bashing, especially if your not personally experiencing the problem that has been identified. Having 1000's of posts to your name doesnt make you an absolute authority on everything, and some of you should be ashamed of your behaviour.

Share your opinions in a constructive manner, but just remember they are opinions not fact, and just like everyone has an Ahole, everyone is entitled to one.

Voice of reason, I you sir This is nothing like the OCZ SSD fiasco where every part being sold was not what was advertised. That is an epic failure. This is more a minor inconvenience (unfortunately more-so for those that have the problem first hand).

Having 1000's of posts to your name doesnt make you an absolute authority on everything,
    Of course it does!! The more I post, the more important I am.

The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Quote Originally Posted by prznar1 View Post
    try something else then feser :P
    Is there a pre-mix out there that has been proven not to gunk up? So far Feser One has failed misserably in my loop. Any suggestions?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey Guys,

I'm glad your EK blocks are in great shape.. mine on the other hand arent.

Now I have to tear apart my rig and take the blocks off.. then ship the blocks to god knows where to get another block that MIGHT not flake nickel.. this is only if I use one of Eddys approved premixes...

Also how do you not test the two most industry standards in watercooling? Which is distilled/coil and distilled/pt nuke.. If Eddy told me when I purchased these blocks that I would have to use his approved mixes just for my Nickel to stay ON my blocks I would have laughed all the way to the bank.

The whole thing is a joke.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Maximus View Post
    Is there a pre-mix out there that has been proven not to gunk up? So far Feser One has failed misserably in my loop. Any suggestions?
    lol not 1 complaint yet ...... How ever i only ship to UK / EU pmsl.
    Mayhems Lastest News -> https://www.facebook.com/Mayhems2009

If you need to direct contact me its michael at mayhems dot co dot uk.

Dang I also purchased a new EK supreme HK full nickle 2 weeks ago from FrozenCPU. what do you guys recommend I do? What would be the next best cpu block? This is my 1st WC project.

edit: Qiko - please check you PMs. (shazza)
    Last edited by shazza; 06-06-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: reference deleted

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmiester View Post
    5/ Are the replacement blocks going to be of better quality to that i am sending back???
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    4 5 6 7 8 is taken care of.
    Umm, how? Where? I must have missed Eddy saying that there is something wrong with their plating and they are going to plate in some better way from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by aqualab View Post
    Daz Mode in Canada make a statement ( starting at 1;50 ) but it's hard to understand what he said

http://www.youtube.com/user/DazMode
    There is no statement, he is just talking about the issue.
    OT: also, where is he from? The accent doesn't appear to be Canadian...
    Last edited by zalbard; 06-06-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    so, if i wanna check my cpu and gpu block i have to unmount them and open them ? or is there another way ?
    1st: i7 2600K@4,6Ghz@1,28 Vcore || Asus MIVE Rev.3 || Bios 3208 || 2 x 4096 MB Corsair Vengeance || Asus GTX 580 CU II || WC with Koolance-370 || EK-VGA Supreme HF || Mora3 Pro

2nd: i7 2600K@4,6Ghz@1,32 Vcore || Asus MIVE-Gene Z68 || EVGA GTX 280 || 2 x 4096 MB ADATA XPG G Series v2.0 || WC with - EK-Supreme HF Full Nickel || VGA HK || Mora2 Pro

5,0 Ghz LinX_Stable_Club

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauron_Vie View Post
    so, if i wanna check my cpu and gpu block i have to unmount them and open them ? or is there another way ?
    Unfortunally yes. I just tore my Supreme HF apart and it looks fine but I really don't want to risk it. Don't know how to proceed..
    Watercooled Murdermod Silverstone TJ07
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz
    eVGA 480 GTX SLI
    8.5TB (1x Seagate 1TB 7200.12, 2x Hitachi 3TB, 1x Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11)
    Corsair AX1200 PSU All Custom Cables
    Westinghouse 24" 1920x1200
    Windows 7

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Quote Originally Posted by mlwood37 View Post
    lol not 1 complaint yet ...... How ever i only ship to UK / EU pmsl.
    Well..... we need to fix that don't we.

Xtreme Member
    I found way to fix the problem )

Plastic container made out of water pipe, sulphuric acid, as used in car batteries, lead blocks to attract the free nickle, car battery for power supply. Neg on part, pos on lead.

U doing it on your own risk. This will take nickel from block. So you save money on shipping )))

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietKitsch View Post
    Unfortunally yes. I just tore my Supreme HF apart and it looks fine but I really don't want to risk it. Don't know how to proceed..
    ok, thx. will check this @weekend. i think i will order some new ones from swiftech or another brand.. will see..
    1st: i7 2600K@4,6Ghz@1,28 Vcore || Asus MIVE Rev.3 || Bios 3208 || 2 x 4096 MB Corsair Vengeance || Asus GTX 580 CU II || WC with Koolance-370 || EK-VGA Supreme HF || Mora3 Pro

2nd: i7 2600K@4,6Ghz@1,32 Vcore || Asus MIVE-Gene Z68 || EVGA GTX 280 || 2 x 4096 MB ADATA XPG G Series v2.0 || WC with - EK-Supreme HF Full Nickel || VGA HK || Mora2 Pro

5,0 Ghz LinX_Stable_Club

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    im gona tear appart my nickel plated hk3.0 this week.. cant wait to see the carnage from running this distilled+kilcoil acid combo breaker.

im amazed that there is still a block there.

Xtreme Member
    Hi,

On reading EK's statement, there's a reason EK cannot admit to any fault in their plating process. Coming from a legal angle, admitting = liability which in turns opens a can of worms for potential class action lawsuits (in the most extreme cases) which will put a big dent on the bottom line. The statement was most likely done on advice by their lawyers.

So EK has opted for the best option to limit damage to the company while trying to placate customers. Deadline on RMA also guarantees them a limited hit.

Smart thing for EK to do now would be take the RMAed blocks and replate them with a better nickel process to salvage their reputation.

Wes
    Last edited by wesley; 06-06-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    Core i7 920 @4.31ghz (HK3.0+MCR320Drive) [DT Air/CPU @ 13c idle, 45c IBT]
    MSI GTX 295 Single PCB with EK 295 + MCR320 Drive + 1450rpmGT [DT Air/CPU @ 10c idle]
    Asus R3E . Corsair TX850 . OCZ 12Gb 1333mhz RAM

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    This was such a big thread I took a trip today.

Three plus hours later, I have my system, and I have a few observations after letting its fluid settle while I've been away.

First, I was affected, and second, if you want nickel dust, I have it.

Let me add that this was running a nanofluid type coolant as well. There's nickel dust sitting in my tubes. In fact, it even screwed up my coolant.

But rather than sit here and throw fuel on the fire, I'll do a tear down with my camera tonight, as well as an attempt to explain the mode of failure in this block with some diagrams.

I'll now step out of this thread until I have pics to explain what I found.
    cheers for adding somthing other than my mindless rabble to this thread

Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    replate them with a better nickel process to salvage their reputation.
    why would they do that? its clearly our fault the blocks are rotting out from under our feet...

Xtreme Member
    Hey Guys,

While some posts may seem like "bashing", I see it more as............

"Hey Eddy, look man we're trying to help you out here by making you realize the entire truth, to maybe put you in a better position to make good on current and future customers"
    Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    Voice of reason, I you sir This is nothing like the OCZ SSD fiasco where every part being sold was not what was advertised. That is an epic failure. This is more a minor inconvenience (unfortunately more-so for those that have the problem first hand).
    No one has said it wasn't, the problem is how the current situation is being handled, no matter how big or small.

Even if there was scientific data stating it was 100% not faulty plating, when the people, current and possible future customers, are worried about the quality of the plating, shouldn't there maybe be at least a "We will look into our plating process, and ensure thorough QC"?

Again, most of the "bashing" is there to help EK stay up top as a respectable manufacturer in the community, cause unfortunately at this point, whether the fluid we used is the sole cause as EK stated or not, there is a lot of doubt in the quality of their products.
    Lian-Li V1000B || i5 2500k || Gigabyte P67-UD4 || 4GB Dominator 1600s || eVGA GTX 570 || 60GB OCZ Vertex || Corsair HX850

Xtreme Mentor
    Ok, so I have been away all day and I came home to this, yippeee!

Let's look at the facts:

EK nickel plated blocks have an issue, cause is up for debate at this point as I do not see anything other than a report commissioned by EK that states otherwise, nor did the test include another vendor to ensure that it was the additive and not the plating, so let's move away from that for now. I read through this thread, a lot of repeated info and some interesting posts, obviously, there are folks on both sides of this debate and on what should be done. So this is how I see it, like it or not I really do not care.

EK's Statement from page one.

We have also made internal tests of 5 different coolants in an identical hardware setup.
    What we found in summary is that:
    1. Certain chemical additives based on pure silver and Copper Sulphate that were added to the loops all of these cases have made distilled water electrolytic and with its properties they caused corrosion of nickel plating.
    I called it early on. Somehow EK would put this on the user regardless of the simple fact that it is only happening to EK, not Koolance, not Aquacomputer, not Heatkiller, not even Thermaltake is having this issue, just EK and yet it't the additives that the consumer used that caused the problem. Starts with a "B", has 8 letters and ends in a "T".
    2. Most of the threads on the forums have stated nickel-plating flaking off, while research have disclosed there was no flaking involved whatsoever.
    What do you call when the nickel plating comes off? Naturally occurring? Seriously? Starts with a "B", has 8 letters and ends in a "T".

Effects of these additives were not commonly known. EK is sure that users are using them in good faith. Due to only until recently confirmed effects of these additives to nickel plated blocks, EK have decided to fully replace products with damage nickel plating in order to support customers of EK products.

If it isn't your fault, nor the fault of the plater, why would you go about replacing these blocks at SUCH a high cost to EK? Could it be that in reality this whole report and everything around it is Starts with a "B", has 8 letters and ends in a "T".

You will get a specific EK RMA form from your reseller which can be also downloaded here.

To get the RMA product replacement you will need to follow these steps:
    1. Fill in RMA form
    2. Make pictures of the block (front, back and corrosion close-up)
    3. Send RMA form, scan of original invoice and 3 pictures for each block to support@ekwaterblocks.com e-mail.
    4. We will then inform you where to ship the damaged block(s).
    5. EK support will inform you from where your replacement block will be shipped to you (in most cases it will be shipped from the location where you bought it)
    6. Customer will pay shipping costs for the replacement block and can discuss with the reseller what shipping method to use
    7. Customer will get the block replaced and cannot ask for a credit note nor replacement for another product. Only thing that we allow is that customer can chose to replace the product for non-Nickel-Plated block – copper version.

So, I already paid for the block, paid to have said block shipped to me that was sold to me as a quality product and it turns out that it was not the quality product that I was promised. Now I have to pay to have said block shipped back to someone, so that it can be replaced by a new "High Quality" block all the while my system is down or running on air, forget about my time or the other costs. I like Naekuh's idea about using a local plater, it's either that or EK allows for an advance RMA like what Asus does where they ship the product to you first and include the shipping label back to whoever they feel like sending it too.

Therefore until further notice EK Water Blocks Company recommends, not to use distilled water with silver in the loop in combination with nickel-plated blocks, nor additives based on Copper Sulphate.

No other companies have this issue, I mean not a single company, nada, zip. Can we say Starts with a "B", has 8 letters and ends in a "T".

EK recommends only coolants with anticorrosion additive, although our internal test systems of pure distilled water have been found without any problem in 2 months test period. EK Team would like to ask you to kindly spread this information as we would like our users to continue having excellent experiences with EK products.

The replacement form can be filled in until July 31st, and starting with August 1st EK will no longer replace products with such damage as the reason of the damage will be widely known and customers still using these additives will do it under their own risk. The replacement request can also be possible only for the purchases with invoices dated up to June 12th 2011.

It's already been stated you cannot change the terms of the warranty without offering a full refund as said warranty is a contract and both parties have to agree to the changes.

Seriously everyone? I said they would put it on the user and they did. It's friggin twice now that EK has done this and people are for the most part "ok" with this, really? They do not make a product that no one else makes, seriously, you can find an alternative to virtually every single product they make. You can not get a company to change it's ways unless you hit them in the wallet, because that is all they care about. There is no way EK is doing this out of the kindness of their heart, they know it's an issue with their plating and while they fix it, they throw this out there as a smoke and mirror game to keep people distracted. I am sorry, but you are friggin stupid if you buy another EK product while this crap goes on.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Member
    The replacement form can be filled in until July 31st, and starting with August 1st EK will no longer replace products with such damage as the reason of the damage will be widely known and customers still using these additives will do it under their own risk.
    I'm sure that someone may have already pointed this part out, but this statement could cause a whole lot of legal troubles for you Eddy.

-
    I know that since I purchased said product from an Australian store, that I can return it to them within the required 12 month warranty period and they have to honour it. That is even if it's past the beloved date above.
    Last edited by step; 06-06-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast