Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Swiftech MCP355 / Laing DDC3.2 Pump Repair Guide - Walkthrough

Xtreme Member

Thumbs up DIY Swiftech MCP355 / Laing DDC3.2 Pump Repair Guide - Walkthrough

As many have seen in my previous video comparing the modded MCP355 (DDC2) to the MCP35X these next 4 videos involve pumps, but in this case it is a full walk-through from start to finish on how to repair your own failed pump. I know this will be useful to many since so many DDC based pumps have failed throughout the years.

The pump being used today is the Swiftech MCP355 based on the Laing DDC3.2 pump. These videos are educational videos providing my experience and step by step of how to repair your own failed up. This video is designed to be followed along or as a guide for your own repair.

A similar video will be made on how to repair the older Swiftech MCP350/355 based on the Laing DDC1/DDC2 pumps. The process is very similar, but so that there is no confusion those videos will follow one an additional repair PCB board is supplied to me.

I want to thank Elganja of AnandTech for supplying the failed pump at a low cost and DIYINHK for supplying the board. The PCB board can be purchased on eBay. http://myworld.ebay.com/diyinhk

My plan is to repair one of each DDC series (DDC1, DDC2, and DDC3) pump and do a full technical comparison of the modified pumps along with the different readily available pumps for water cooling your computer.

I will be testing for heat output, current draw, noise level, flow rate, and pressure on each pump configuration.

I already have many pumps, but will compile a full list of everything I would like to get into the review and hopefully either find sponsorship from the manufacture or some kind owners who would be willing to mail their personal pump(s) in for testing.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. More information to come soon. Stay tuned.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Great work!

Thanks for sharing!

Would you like some Pie?
    nice job!
    Xeon W3520 @ 4.0Ghz ~ 3x 7970 ~ 12GB DDR3 ~ Dell U2711

Xtreme Enthusiast
    [AK]Zip
    Very detailed
    Butm is this my monitor or your DDC 3 series pump has black/grey impeller instead of regular blue?
    An unfortunate person is one tries to fart but sh1ts instead...

My Water Cooling Case Build (closed)

Xtreme Member
    The impeller is blue. It is a dark blue since it seems the previous owner used dye in the water so it turned quite a bit darker.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Zip View Post
    The impeller is blue. It is a dark blue since it seems the previous owner used dye in the water so it turned quite a bit darker.
    Yep, This is true. Mine's purple.

Anyway, I'm still not confident of performing this mod myself...
    Last edited by Fatfool; 06-05-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Holy smokes that replacement board really boosts the power of that pump. Any concern about over current on the coils? Also (forgive me if I missed it in this thread) didn't the Toshiba IC have a problem with overheating at full 12V?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member

Arrow

Other than impeller color, one can examine the impeller hole inlet size to determine if it was indeed black or blue. The black impellers are the large inlet and the blue are a small inlet hole. Hopefully, the impeller was cleaned prior to testing since it rides upon the little ceramic ball.

Just my input here ... using dyes may have an effect on the impeller to the white ceramic ball in the pump housing. If the dye has any fine salt base, it would wear the contact areas of the impeller and the white ceramic ball. Even though Laing and the pump distributors are silent with what coolants or dyes to use, just be cautious on what is added to the liquids in your loop. Sure, dyes add the much needed BLING, but if not investigated first, could cost you your loop or hardware failures.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump Maverick, BMaverick ... has a massive hoard of a Laing DDC pump stash

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Holy smokes that replacement board really boosts the power of that pump. Any concern about over current on the coils? Also (forgive me if I missed it in this thread) didn't the Toshiba IC have a problem with overheating at full 12V?
    Based on the specs of the stock DIYINHK board you really can't go any higher than 16v so you don't have anything to worry about in terms of the magnet wire (what is used for the coils). As for the Toshiba IC I don't know what overheating problem you are talking about. For me the pump seems to be running just fine. I had both repaired pumps running for about an hour at 12v without any issues. If you could provide a link to where there is an issue with the Toshiba chip I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by bmaverick View Post
    Other than impeller color, one can examine the impeller hole inlet size to determine if it was indeed black or blue. The black impellers are the large inlet and the blue are a small inlet hole. Hopefully, the impeller was cleaned prior to testing since it rides upon the little ceramic ball.

Just my input here ... using dyes may have an effect on the impeller to the white ceramic ball in the pump housing. If the dye has any fine salt base, it would wear the contact areas of the impeller and the white ceramic ball. Even though Laing and the pump distributors are silent with what coolants or dyes to use, just be cautious on what is added to the liquids in your loop. Sure, dyes add the much needed BLING, but if not investigated first, could cost you your loop or hardware failures.
    Yes you are right on the impeller size. The DDC1/2 have a large inlet cut for the impeller while the DDC3 series has significantly smaller one. I spent about 30 minutes total cleaning the impeller and the housing due to all the gunk from the dye. I know it is very important to have everything cleaned out as it can cause the pump to seize.

I received a PM from the previous owner regarding what he was used and I would like to share it since I am sure someone else out there is using this for their dye. The dye he was using is the Primochill Ice. In this specific pump's case, it was the "blue dye bomb". Based on what I see of this dye is it very bad. It hardens and cakes on which could make it start working as an abrasive to wear down on the rotating area of the pump and cause failure. I highly suggest to avoid dyes.

Xtreme Member
    Guys I just got a PM from Elganja who used to own the pump that I got for this how to. As I already mentioned he used Primochill Ice for his liquid and based on what I saw on the pump I urged him to take his blocks apart and clean out the radiators along with everything else.

Below is a picture of what his Apogee XT looks like.

Honestly I knew it would be bad, but even that was worse that I had expected. As you can see very strange looking. Avoid dyes and pre-mixed if you can.

Chasing After Diety
    OMG its loud tho... i love the instant start time tho, i have to admit, there is no lag start.

But WOW, id have to say its at least double if not triple the noise a standard DDC makes.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    Honestly it isn't that loud, but it is louder which should be expected. The camera is close and a sensitive mic. Plus most of the noise you hear is due to how much pressure/flow it has I end up sucking up air bubbles the entire time almost. As already mentioned I will have a proper review done where air bubbles will play no role when testing for noise ect.

Yeah air makes a HUGE difference in loop noise. c'mon Naekuh, you should know that
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for sharing this mate, excitedly awaiting your findings!

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Yeah air makes a HUGE difference in loop noise. c'mon Naekuh, you should know that
    oh i know the sound betweeen a air bubble getting chomped internally by impeller and the motor noise.

The thing is people have told me, its loud... louder then a DDC, and much noticibility, but i never really thought it would be that loud.

I will wait for your fully bleed review, but i can clearly hear the DDC pitch.

Xtreme Member

Honestly I knew it would be bad, but even that was worse that I had expected. As you can see very strange looking. Avoid dyes and pre-mixed if you can.
    And which tubing did he use this time?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    oh i know the sound betweeen a air bubble getting chomped internally by impeller and the motor noise.

The thing is people have told me, its loud... louder then a DDC, and much noticibility, but i never really thought it would be that loud.

I will wait for your fully bleed review, but i can clearly hear the DDC pitch.
    It is true the DIYINHK pumps are louder, but just as they should be since essentially the same pump when modded has a lot more flowrate and pressure even at lower voltages than 12v. In my video it doesn't help that the MCP35X has a nice thick acetal top which does a good job dampening noise from what I have seen so far.

When I will do the testing I will make sure to test with the same tops on all of them to make it fair and will try different impellers since they are a few different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    And which tubing did he use this time?
    I don't know I don't know the guy personally. I just offered up to purchase his dead pump and he was kind enough to offer it at a very low price and from there I just ended up helping him restore his system once I saw what exactly was in the pump.

Chasing After Diety
    AK thank you so much for playing with these guys...

if i ever sound rude... ignore my style... its a habit in how i type..

Xtreme Member
    No worries I have thick skin. Go check out my other thread I made about the differences of the DDC pumps. Lots of good information there.

Xtreme Member
    Great job. Thanks for doing this.

Xtreme Member
    Just waiting to receive my kit from Hong Kong
    System:1
    Banchetto
    I7 860 4.2Ghz | Asus Maximus III Formula | EVGA 2 GTX295's | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator GT Ram @ 2000 8-9-8-24-1T | OCZ RevoDrive3 120Gb SSD | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | EK-FC285 Nickel| Thermochill PA 120.3 | TFC Xtender Shrouds |DD Monsoon Premium D5 Dual Bay Reservoir | MCP655-B|Noctua NF-P12| HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System:2
    Sunbeamtech Ultra-Tech Station
    I7 875K 4.4Ghz | EVGA P55 LE | PNY Quadro FX4800 | 4Gb (2x2Gb) Dominator Ram @ 1600 8-8-8-24-2T | 2 OCZ Vertex2 60Gb SSD RAID 0 | Barracuda 500Gb HDD

W/C System
    Apogee XT | DD Koosah | 2 Thermochill PA 120.1 | TFC Xtender Shrouds | EK-DDC X-RES 100 | MCP350 | Noctua NF-P12 | Indigo Xtreme | HydrX | B*P Compression Fittings

System Videos

Xtreme Member
    fully bleed pump sound : http://www.mediafire.com/?as92mpzm93i61cn

i thought i still have some lot air left. its totally noticeable without any fans blowing the system (huge humming noise IRL, not just pitch).
    but with 3xap15 GT, 3x kaze jyunii slim blowing the rads, i dont hear the ddc noise anymore
    dual 360 rads on lianli A05NB worklog : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=259066

I am Xtreme
    I have two of the completed PCB's sitting on my desk. Really need to find some motivation to fix the broken DDC's I have. I hope it works this time around.

Xtreme Member
    There is a new revision of the upgrade board. It is now white and has built in LED's.

Looks pretty good with a clear top. I think this would look very nice with a clear res top so that the light has more area of diffusion.

Lights on:

Lights off:

just shoot a video,
    use an USB camera and soldering FLUX to assembly, it's easy and fun.
    BTW, is the english description grammar ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtcdCGA_qTk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast