Thread: Fractal Design Define R3

Xtreme Member

Question Fractal Design Define R3

This case seems to be quite popular, and since I am looking for a new case I hope this will fit my needs

Unfortunately after having done a bit of reading, I am in doubt and not sure anymore.

So I have a couple of questions, and hopefully someone here owns the case and can answer

First off, I read that there is no room for a fan controller. But I see 2 slots in the top of the case in pictures? I looks like I could fit 2 optical drives there, why not a a fan controller?

Secondly, I have been looking into water cooling solutions. I know that this is a small case for water cooling. I was looking at the new Corsair H100 and wondered if it fits in the top of this case? With the possibility of a H70 on the side (modded for gpu cooling) perhaps?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I own this case and love it, however the h100 won't fit at the top..not enough room between the top and mobo..tje case is snagging but for air imo..I've definitely thought about going back to water but this case just won't allow it with out aybe serious mods ...at minimal I think the hd bays can be removed for a 120x2 rad..and a single 120 in the rear exhaust..but other then that idk.... The fan controller issue I haven't heard of this and I dont see why you couldn't?..they seem like regular drive bays

Xtreme Member
    i dont have this one, but i do won the define XL, and i can tell you that fan controllers wont fit cause there isnt enough room with the door closed to fit the knobs, unless you get a touch screen.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh yea thats true..if it has knobs you'll have to have it set back in the bay to fit..also the xl wil fit a rad on top...

I am Xtreme
    id be cautions, 3 reviews in 2 weeks have people complaining about damage, but not from shipping. my co-worker actually just got his, and the whole front was broken off, for no clear reason.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've seen lots of raves about Fractal cases lately, so I took a look at Define XL reviews, the full tower version, and man, it's really crap at cooling. Only thing they seem to care about with the full towers is quiet operation, and it's not even that great at that. It also has carmped space at the top back part, since the 180 fan is slanted to blow out a small vent on the back. It's one of the biggest flaws because due to it's position and the vent design, it hardly blows any air out the case and is really just a big waste of space. Frankly I expected better from a company who's cases have been raved about so much.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...ne-xl-review/3

Xtreme Member
    hm, well I am sad to hear about these problems now. The case looks pretty nice, but I guess it just won't fit my criteria.

Thank you all for the answers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    idk, i have the r3 with i7 920 @ 4.2 on air 6970 1000core/1500mem 1.3v 4 hds and only have the 2 stock intake fans and one exhaust fan and have NO issues with cooling and its completely silent from 12" away from my head at idle, while gaming if i lean in while muted i can hear the fans kick up a bit but still very quiet overall. I absolutely love the case, but i think its air only and to some people silence is ...well golden and thats what i wanted this time around and imo achieved it. Also i bought mine as soon as newegg listed them and no damage.

My only real complaints are the gromets are horrible at staying in place..pita to work with..and id prefer possibly an easier way to take out the filters for cleaning

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm talking about their full tower cases specifically. They didn't acknowledge that with full towers you need to carefully place everything because the fans are farther away from the components. The top fan is clearly a case of poor design though, and I think they went too much for quiet operation, and not enough for ventilation. It's odd because usually full size cases are more geared for enthusiast gaming, but there's no way I'd buy a gaming case with cooling spec that bad. Most that want a really quiet case are going for HTPC or casual gaming, and can suffice with a mid tower.

The Define R3 is a fantastic case - if you're after quiet operation for a mid-range gaming PC or server/HTPC.

Due to the design of the front door and panels, airflow just isn't going to be as good as your Antec or Coolermaster. The fan controller issue can be a pain, but they do provide a PCI slot fan controller for 3 fans. Buy a spare one from another Define owner and you'll have enough to control all fans this case can hold.

For water-cooling, you're definitely restricted. Even my Noctua NH-U12P cooler was a tight fit near the top, no way you could fit a rad and fans. I have however seen people use the H50 and H70 with no issues.

If you're after performance and still want the Fractal style, I'd recommend taking a look at the Arc series, it's designed with performance, not silent operation, in mind.