Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Sony really that stupid?

Is Sony really that stupid?

they got hacked, again and again and again... with a simple hack! That's embarrassing now...

http://www.dailytech.com/LulzSec+Str...ticle21808.htm

more info here:
    http://lulzsecurity.com/releases/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Apparently they really don't have a clue about how to secure their servers. I personally am staying away from Sony products (had been before this debacle too, but that's another story) and I'm advising my friends to do the same nowadays...

Xtreme Guru
    And to think this all started with them instituting a draconian method for prosecuting certain people who actually wanted to improve the experience of the PS3...

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    i just laugh. karma is a . sony constantly keeping innovation down just to save their bottom dollar.. now they get screwed over and over and over, because of their own ignorance. hilarious.

Xtreme Member
    There's the proof you need. Sony truly doesn't care.

I mean, I want to blame the hackers, but seriously... how are they getting in so easily?
    PII 965BE @ 3.8Ghz /|\ TRUE 120 w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan /|\ XFX HD 5870 /|\ 4GB G.Skill 1600mhz DDR3 /|\ Gigabyte 790GPT-UD3H /|\ Two lovely 24" monitors (1920x1200) /|\ and a nice leather chair.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Corporations were too used to being invulnerable. I know the customer side of these events haven't been fun, but having companies eyes forced opened to possible consequences of making and sticking with highly unpopular choices has made not being able to play SSF4 online for a few days worth it.

@Mad Pistol: When you get really hacked, and you don't know how much damage was done, it's like getting hypnotised by the cell block rapist. You're constantly waking up with a sore arse and a blank spot in your memory. For Sony there could be countless back ups but if they are compromised then they'll have to sift through everything before they can get rid of all the back doors that might be left behind.
    Last edited by Iconyu; 06-02-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post
    There's the proof you need. Sony truly doesn't care.

I mean, I want to blame the hackers, but seriously... how are they getting in so easily?
    they do. nobody likes losing money for funzies

as in how they are getting hacked over and over. i dont know
    we going shh around the corner

Quote Originally Posted by aintz View Post
    they do. nobody likes losing money for funzies

as in how they are getting hacked over and over. i dont know
    The least they could have done is to secure the hell of their servers after the great "debacle". They didn't, that's unacceptable. Class action anyone?

Xtreme Addict
    maybe their admin simply changed the password (only)!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    SQL injection? really? Thats 5mins of coding and SQL injections are eliminated.

Lets wait few days and sony is forced to take down all websites they have just because of tiny pit of SQL injection

::: Desktop's - Intel *** Intel 2
    2 x Xeon E5-2687W *** Intel i7 3930k
    EVGA SR-X *** Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 x4 960Gb *** 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb
    Avermedia LiveGamer HD capture card
    Caselabs TX10-D
    14 x 4 TB WD RE4 in RAID10+2Spare
    4 x Corsair AX1200

::: Basement DataCenter :::
    [*] Fibreoptic connection from operators core network
    [*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] Additional SAN machines with FusionIO ioDrive Octal's (4 total Octals).
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sbattosai View Post
    I heard japanese sometimes worked to the death ...... now i began to doubt if it's true ...

seriously ... even for a slowpoke who might take up days to fix something ... hell, its more than just a few "days"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    I heard japanese sometimes worked to the death ...... now i began to doubt if it's true ...

seriously ... even for a slowpoke who might take up days to fix something ... hell, its more than just a few "days"
    Corporate Hubris bigger problem in Japan than anywhere else, thats saying allot since it happens everywhere all the time. Lets see how long it takes for a weeabo apologist to call me racist.

c[_]
    So this makes what... 12 times they've been hacked?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    seriously!? 12 times!?

this beyond slow ..... this is total ignorance.

the word, "They asked for it" comes to mind

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    seriously!? 12 times!?

this beyond slow ..... this is total ignorance.

the word, "They asked for it" comes to mind
    they want to procecute, or sue people for hacking there firmware, and well actually making their product better (comes to mind before the 3.40 firmware the psp would not properly display H.264 at anything better than 320x240, even though the psp was capable from the get go to hw accelerate movies in h.264 format even beyond the hw based resolution of 480x272. in the 2.xx versions of the hacked firmware you could play movies at full res in H.264 as well as a divx format, took them a year to catch up LOL. talk about slow on the uptake. the new psp-go as well as the psp 3001 (seem to be not custom Firmware hackable, however they cracked the keys as proof of concept in the beginning of this year.

Face it anything is hackable, trying to stop a small minority of users who hack their consoles, and use copies of games instead of originals, is costing them more than it's worth, and well it's ticking off fanboy's as well because then ppl get pi***d and hack their network
    Honestly let it go and guess what you'll save money and heck at times even make more money in the long run.
    My
    $.02
    terramir

terra= (lat.)world mir=(russ.) peace
    BTW that girl is my version of muddflap on my stacy common artwork not obcene (for the censors out there)

Fact is we have no proof if what they claim to have done is true. Perhaps I'm too confident, but a simple SQL injection, I can't believe it.

If I look at the "proofs" : An online .nfo saying "hey, we hacked Sony", dead link, dead link, another one, *skipping the others*, a list of a few users/passwords from Sony BMG Music from NL and another list but from BE.
    So in fact, the only credible proofs are the last two. So let's look at them.
    Both are short. Really short. In the NL list, you can find many accounts with the same password (or close to be the same). In the BE one, there is only 16 accounts. I know Belgium is a little country, but... xD

So my conclusion would be : anyone can create a simple database with some random columns (just make sure to have one named "username" and another one "password". What big companies never do btw). Then fill them with some random data based on regular exp (takes one day if you're lazy). Finally, publish it online and claim that it comes from Sony. And there you are

NB : I don't want to be seen as a Sony fanboy here (even if I am one IRL), I'm just analyzing what I see and not running in fear every time I hear someone hacked Sony (seriously, I have a friend that did that, asking me if he had to change his bank account and all...)
    Sorry for my bad english, I'm trying to improve it

Quote Originally Posted by Khoral View Post
    Fact is we have no proof if what they claim to have done is true. Perhaps I'm too confident, but a simple SQL injection, I can't believe it.

If I look at the "proofs" : An online .nfo saying "hey, we hacked Sony", dead link, dead link, another one, *skipping the others*, a list of a few users/passwords from Sony BMG Music from NL and another list but from BE.
    So in fact, the only credible proofs are the last two. So let's look at them.
    Both are short. Really short. In the NL list, you can find many accounts with the same password (or close to be the same). In the BE one, there is only 16 accounts. I know Belgium is a little country, but... xD

So my conclusion would be : anyone can create a simple database with some random columns (just make sure to have one named "username" and another one "password". What big companies never do btw). Then fill them with some random data based on regular exp (takes one day if you're lazy). Finally, publish it online and claim that it comes from Sony. And there you are

NB : I don't want to be seen as a Sony fanboy here (even if I am one IRL), I'm just analyzing what I see and not running in fear every time I hear someone hacked Sony (seriously, I have a friend that did that, asking me if he had to change his bank account and all...)
    I don't see why you say the links are dead, not for me... Maybe your internet provider is blocking some stuff, who knows. Anyway that's not the point, they copied only a small portion on the databases as proof. They don't need more to add some discredit to Sony. At this rate, the company will not recover anytime soon from the collateral PR damage. Heck even a guy buying a Sony TV will think hackers are probably spying on him watching pr0n -> TV sales plummet.
    Sony opened the pandora box...

I am Xtreme
    Na they where taken down, only the torrents still work.. guess why?

Ah ok. Then I'll check those torrents later (my previous post was made this morning before going to work, no time to check the torrents xD)

But I'm still not convinced by the database structure. It's too clean imo.
    Sorry for my bad english, I'm trying to improve it

2D Otaku
    Wow, another one? Good Grief...
    I dunno if this was true or BS, but if it's true I do think Sony deserve it.

That giant company made themselves the public enemy of the hackers community, this is what they get.
    I'm Just Lucky !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_n00b,2004
    "The ONLY thing that LIMITS my overclocking is not my cooling, nor my hardware...but ME . That's why I call myself a n00b.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2007 - AOCC APAC #3
    2008 - GOOC ID #4 | MOA WW #1
    2009 - GOOC ID #1 | GOOC APAC #4
    2010 - GOOC ID #1 | GOOC Asia-Africa #9 | MOA WW #10
    2011 - MOA ID #1 | MOA APAC #5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah it's funny, but this could happen to anybody if the same people wanted to screw with them. Lesson learned from all this, let your music, games, movies be stolen and be free, or get ed.

There are no cops, and the robbers have nukes.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

How pathetic, you think that Sony is a multi million dollar company and yet they can't afford to maintain better security for their network. What a joke.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    How pathetic, you think that Sony is a multi Billion dollar company and yet they can't afford to maintain better security for their network. What a joke.
    fixed
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtremeish
    Just hire the "LulzSec" team? already Sony... (Probably several people?)

And pay them for helping you fixing the system's security as other major companies are apparently doing.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast