Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Is Sony really that stupid?

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Caparroz View Post
    Except I didn't say anything like that.

I feel you're walking on eggs here or you're a Sony exec to assume that $5 billion on marketing is a significant expenditure or not. There are too many variables involved. FWIW, Sony should had invested two times or a tenth of that...
    uuuuuuuh......

And this is relevant because...?

Iirc, you said "advertisements are a significant expenditure (I strongly disagree) and just a waste of time" . Being a professional in this field and spent several years studying the matter I just took issue with your statement. Well, enough with derailing the thread...

Your second... jumble of words.. just makes no sense at all.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Other than the "who fired the first shot" argument....
    If the CEO of Sony is not horrified enough by the lack of security to "replace" who's in charge in a thoroughly disgusting and public manner then the board should replace the CEO. And if that does not happen then the stockholders should replace the board. This is the problem, not hackers -> ignorance.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    uuuuuuuh......

Your second... jumble of words.. just makes no sense at all.
    I said since the beginning, even before you posted that $5 billion mark, that given Sony's position right now there's no such thing as a significant expenditure in a media campaign for them right now. They must hit hard, soon and mantain that for a long time. It'll cost a lot to Sony marketing wise to dug themselves out of this hole.

Is that clear now?
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

c[_]
    So you think $5B is not a lot of money?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is Sony really that stupid?
    Yes.

/thread

First post here!

The problem is not just Sony - how many other corporations probably have this mentality? How many have our data?

As one of the earlier commentators pointed out, protecting against every type of attack can be difficult. That said, they were keeping personal information in plain text without any encryption. How many other firms are like this?

Part of me wonders if we're going to find a lot more companies with poor security.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricElf View Post
    First post here!

The problem is not just Sony - how many other corporations probably have this mentality? How many have our data?

As one of the earlier commentators pointed out, protecting against every type of attack can be difficult. That said, they were keeping personal information in plain text without any encryption. How many other firms are like this?

Part of me wonders if we're going to find a lot more companies with poor security.
    Welcome! And I couldn't agree more. Like roaches, for every one you see there's actually ten more you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by WangChung View Post
    Yes.

/thread
    Ahah, I guess you're right we should close the thread by now
    To go slightly off-topic, this is what I think Sony should have done to the Linux/mod/dev community

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/s...evs-a-free-ga/

Way to go Samsung

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    i agree with everything you've said in this thread

if everybody would hack the company/people he dislikes, it would end in a total anarchy and chaos.

sony? - i don't like what they did to geohot, HACK!
    apple? - bah, don't like their philosophy and this goblin steve jobs, HACK!
    microsoft? - i've never really liked them. do i need a reason anyways? HACK!
    some small irrelevant company - my ex-gf's new bf (maybe it's YOU?) works there as an it security engineer, i'm gonna give him what he deserves, HACK!
    i don't like your dog (maybe YOURS?) barking on sundays - gonna hack the out of your facebook and email account!

i think my point should be pretty obvious. everyone hates smth, and if everybody would go out and hack everything he doesn't like... things don't work like that and will hurt ourselves more than anything else. especially since there's no judge who says what is right to hack and what's not. they just hack it, no matter if you agree or not.
    But that's not how it works...
    There will never be that widespread hacks, just like there will never be complete immunity to hacks either.
    In the end hackers nudge our faiing democracy a notch into the right direction
    I for one am thankful for it...
    I haven't seen a single privately organized hack against a corporation that wasnt well deserved...
    In the end who do you trust and support?
    Corporate execs sniffing coke and bathing in money they sold their soul for?
    Or idealistic hippies?
    Is def go for the latter...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So you think $5B is not a lot of money?
    Did you read my posts or you're arguing just for the sake of it?

(really, this is legit question coz you already know my opinion about this)

Edit: I'm still waiting for bits of that 2 years old $5B subscriber's article you're making a fuzz about. PM me if necessary.
    Last edited by Caparroz; 06-08-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Lulzsec is building a name and a reputation with their latest "exploit".
    http://www.dailytech.com/HackProof+W...ticle21853.htm

I know I shouldn't but I kinda "like" them.

c[_]
    Did you read my posts or you're arguing just for the sake of it?

(really, this is legit question coz you already know my opinion about this)

Edit: I'm still waiting for bits of that 2 years old $5B subscriber's article you're making a fuzz about. PM me if necessary.
    What bits?

It says right in the link that their advertising budget for 2009 was $5 Billion Dollars.

Do you or do you not think that is a lot of money just to blow on advertising?

Here's another link just for you since you're having issues reading the first one I guess: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/0315c95c-d...#axzz1Ol6pGdDY

Annual $5B advertising budget.

To me $5B is a lot. I dont care if Sony has a lot of products and operates all over the world, its a lot.

Xtreme Member
    What bits?

It says right in the link that their advertising budget for 2009 was $5 Billion Dollars.

Do you or do you not think that is a lot of money just to blow on advertising?

Here's another link just for you since you're having issues reading the first one I guess: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/0315c95c-d...#axzz1Ol6pGdDY

Annual $5B advertising budget.

To me $5B is a lot. I dont care if Sony has a lot of products and operates all over the world, its a lot.
    Whilst $5 Billion is a lot of money to all of use here, in Sony's case, it obviously wasn't nearly enough. Either that or someone there is very incompetent. Probably both in this case.

Xtreme Cruncher
    People here try to speak in terms of who's right and who's wrong . While everyone has a personal opinion about it .

The thing is , Sony handled a lot of things awfully bad . Starting with removing OtherOS over fingerpointing all linux users as unlawful hackers and what not .

Sony's reputation is not at stake here , after all these actions it has fallen already

Now ,
    Look at how Apple handles things . They just hired a very competent hacker who wrote MobileNotifier software for iOS . This way they have a big change of improving their products . Now , they could sue him .. but why would they do that and to what purpous ? To scare people away from their products like Sony did ?

Main rig 1: Corsair Carbide 400R 4x120mm Papst 4412GL - 1x120mm Noctua NF-12P -!- PC Power&Cooling Silencer MK III 750W Semi-Passive PSU -!- Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H -!- Intel i7 4790K -!- Swiftech H220 pull 2x Papst 4412 F/2GP -!- 4x4gb Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1866Mhz CAS9 1.5V (D9PFJ) -!- 1Tb Samsung 840 EVO SSD -!- AMD RX 480 to come -!- Windows 10 pro x64 -!- Samsung S27A850D 27" + Samsung 2443BW 24" -!- Sennheiser HD590 -!- Logitech G19 -!- Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse -!- Fragpedal -!- Eaton Ellipse MAX 1500 UPS .

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimInalA View Post
    People here try to speak in terms of who's right and who's wrong . While everyone has a personal opinion about it .

The thing is , Sony handled a lot of things awfully bad . Starting with removing OtherOS over fingerpointing all linux users as unlawful hackers and what not .

Sony's reputation is not at stake here , after all these actions it has fallen already

Now ,
    Look at how Apple handles things . They just hired a very competent hacker who wrote MobileNotifier software for iOS . This way they have a big change of improving their products . Now , they could sue him .. but why would they do that and to what purpous ? To scare people away from their products like Sony did ?
    The thing is, you can't scare off hackers... you can only challenge them, and if you're not even prepared, you end up like Sony...

Most of these guys are modern day robin hoods and I'm surprised how many people rather side with the law and large companies that rape them for money... scary actually...
    Last edited by saaya; 06-09-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Xtreme Member
    hahaha sony is just like any other company. hard headed at first because they really don't know what are they facing with.

even the anti-virus company that i work for was not immune to attacks we were recently targeted because we white listed a certain website, in effect we brought back the website just because of that.

and our tag line is #1 in cloud security
    Newbie Cruncher

I agree with the "two wrongs don't make a right" statement. I have avoided Sony's products for over 30 years because of reasons I can't even remember.
    They have always treated their customers like sheep. Even Toyota have become arrogant and gone against their original ideals. Most corporations have this disease these days. Instant profits over smart decisions.
    Phenom II 945 (95w)@3.5Ghz
    Geil BlackDragon 1066 2x2GB
    Gigabyte 790X UD4P
    WD 640GB Black
    Gigabyte GTX 470
    Corsair HX620-Hiper Anubis case
    Windows 7 Home 64bit
    Samsung 27" monitor

Xtreme Addict
    I do believe that this kind of hacking is positive in the end for the society. Sony will eventually improve their security, and many companies will do the same to avoid experiencing the same shame.

When you expose yourself to the internet this kind of things will eventually happen. Any big company should expect to be hacked. I think that many of them suffer some kind of attempt sooner or later and good security measures help them out of the problem.

Xtreme Addict
    Looks like Codemasters was also hacked and user data accessed.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13731822
    Last edited by BrowncoatGR; 06-13-2011 at 04:34 AM.
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Member
    Sony is a megacorporation that does not care about consumers and consider themselves as above the law of any country they sell their products in. Removing advertised features like OtherOS is illegal in many european countries yet they got away with it and even if people were asking for refunds, the retailers themselves had to pay that, not Sony! Governments can't do anything about such practices and trying to sue Sony as a consumer would be futile, they have their armada of lawyers ready to take out anyone. Even in the US, class action lawsuits didn't get trough. No matter how they treat their customers or how many million accounts were hacked and are going to get hacked, nothing will ever happen to them. In fact the FBI is even helping them in finding out who attacked their networks.

It's more than stupidity, it's arrogance and they absolutely deserve to be hacked. The more the better.

Xtreme CCIE
    We're at day 12 with nothing new so I'm going to close the thread to make room for fresher content. Got to keep the News new.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345