Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: GIGABYTE 9xx AM3+ thread

is there any different between bios f6d with f6???

Xtreme Legend
    yes F6 is the latest (official bios) & obviously newer than F6d, some of the changes are memory compatibility related
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Thank god work is being done on memory compatibility.....right now it is SHOCKING.

890GPA-UD3H with Athlon x2 5200+ and F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH ram gave 3.95GHz on unlocked cpu (became x4 with L3 cache) and 1800MHz ram speed.

GA-990FXA-UD3 with same cpu and ram is unstable when unlocked cpu, and even when cpu is locked ram can't make rated speed at rated timings and cpu only stable at 3.4GHz. Ram always wants to run at silly loose timings.

@dinos22 or Sin0822 i have two questions since you seem to be in the know with gigabyte;

Are there any indications that modules can be unlocked on these FX just like cores on Phenom?

I have a Rev1.0 990FXA-UD3 that has very crackly sound from the onboard 3.5mm jacks and popping from HDMI......is this a known issue and maybe down to drivers for the dolby realtek chip or have i just got a broken board?

Xtreme Member
    I jumped from F5 to F6 on my FXA990-UD7. I'm using Phenom II X4 965BE and some old G.Skill (SPD W21,2007) that wants 1.9v. (And here I can add a wish for adding up to 2.3V for DIMM )
    When running CAS7 and F5 I could boot with 1880MHz and then up the ram with AOD to 1920MHz. Now I have big problem doing that. I can boot with 1904MHz and then raise to 1920MHz.
    To be able to run benches at 1920MHz, I have to loose some timings with AOD, that I did not have to do earlier. (I'm not at home now so I can't check exactly which setting I had to lower, but I had to lower something like 50NBCK to 54NBCK)

I have not done that much testing yet, but I guess there's some changing with timings wich hopefully will make some boost for some people.

Does AMD Overdrive or Gigabyte EasyTune 6 actually work for anyone else out there with a 990FXA-UD3? Neither one will actually change multipliers for me and they both read some frequencies and voltages wrong. I have to make all changes in the BIOS.

@blossa: At least on my UD3 with an 8120, F4 wouldn't POST with my DDR3-2000 memory set above 1600. On F5B I could do 2000 stable. Perhaps your board is in a similar position where a future BIOS update alone will help.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    Particle: It is not a big issue. I just posted to inform others that MAYBE they should try to loosen some timings before saying it is a bad BIOS.

Btw, EasyTunes don't work good at all for me either. However, I havn't spent much time with it so maybe it works better for others.

So, anyone had a chance to test BD with the new BIOS? Any news worth mentioning?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
    Thank god work is being done on memory compatibility.....right now it is SHOCKING.

890GPA-UD3H with Athlon x2 5200+ and F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH ram gave 3.95GHz on unlocked cpu (became x4 with L3 cache) and 1800MHz ram speed.

GA-990FXA-UD3 with same cpu and ram is unstable when unlocked cpu, and even when cpu is locked ram can't make rated speed at rated timings and cpu only stable at 3.4GHz. Ram always wants to run at silly loose timings.

@dinos22 or Sin0822 i have two questions since you seem to be in the know with gigabyte;

Are there any indications that modules can be unlocked on these FX just like cores on Phenom?

I have a Rev1.0 990FXA-UD3 that has very crackly sound from the onboard 3.5mm jacks and popping from HDMI......is this a known issue and maybe down to drivers for the dolby realtek chip or have i just got a broken board?
    Dino would know better than I, but I don't think you can unlock like you can with phenom II.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Does AMD Overdrive or Gigabyte EasyTune 6 actually work for anyone else out there with a 990FXA-UD3? Neither one will actually change multipliers for me and they both read some frequencies and voltages wrong. I have to make all changes in the BIOS.

@blossa: At least on my UD3 with an 8120, F4 wouldn't POST with my DDR3-2000 memory set above 1600. On F5B I could do 2000 stable. Perhaps your board is in a similar position where a future BIOS update alone will help.
    Both work, but not with multiplier. At least with easytune, AMD OD is the only way to do over 1.9v under LN2, and HTT i like to change with easytune.

I installed alld rivers tho, maybe you are missing somthing?

Xtreme Member
    Got my 990FXA-UD3 today. It says Rev 1.0 on the PCB, but it looks a little different then the picture of 1.0 on the website. It has the "SLI" logo where it is on the 1.2 board, and the "SATA" logo is to the right of the SB heatsink instead of under it.
    Heatware Cecil

Xtreme Legend
    Augustus you may have either faulty speakers or faulty board if you hear popping. check with another set of speakers before you can conclude which is at fault

in terms of unlocking older chips i will ask, i think i have one somewhere to check but im away for a week from today so cant really do anything till i get back, hopefully someone can give me heads up but i dont see why it wouldnt unlock older chips
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    Need some help with making the correct choice, as many are having some kind of issue with there 990FX mobo, be it Giga, Asus or MSI whic one would you guys/ladies advice? I am leaning towards the UD7 as it looks a stunning mobo.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanie View Post
    Need some help with making the correct choice, as many are having some kind of issue with there 990FX mobo, be it Giga, Asus or MSI whic one would you guys/ladies advice? I am leaning towards the UD7 as it looks a stunning mobo.
    Just curious but why would you buy a bulldozer cpu?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What's the difference between ud3 rev 1.0 and 1.2 ? Only esata controller? I've noticed some different components displacement around cpu area.
    990FXA-UD3 | FX8350@4.7Ghz | Asus HD7870 | 2x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2050Mhz 8-8-8-22 | AX850W |SSD Vertex3 Max IOPS 120GB | Auzentech Forte + TAPCO-S5

EK Supreme Full-Gold | XSPC RX240 + EX120 | MCP35x | 3x Koolance Blue Led @PWM | Tygon Black 1/2 | Bitspower Compression | @ FM CM690 I

Xtreme Addict
    i think esata controller & 1394 header on bottom of board or something along those lines
    LEO!!!!
    amd phenom II x6 1100T | gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 . .
    2x2gb g.skill 2133c8 | 128gb g.skill falcon ssd
    sapphire ati 5850 | x-fi xtrememusic. . .
    samsung f4 2tb | samsung dvdrw . .
    corsair tx850w | windows 7 64-bit.
    ddc3.25 xspc restop | ek ltx | mc-tdx | BIP . .
    lycosa-g9-z2300 | 26" 1920x1200 lcd .

Xtreme Member
    Trying to test out my 8120 with the F5 BIOS. No matter what I do, it throttles back to 2.8Ghz when stress testing. All power saving stuff is off, turbo and CPB are off, C1E, C6, CNQ, all that is off. Tried OCing just to 3.8 and it still drops down to 2.8.
    Heatware Cecil

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m_jones_ View Post
    Just curious but why would you buy a bulldozer cpu?
    To play with, have fun with. Bored with my I7 and it a dead product

Xtreme Member
    Well got my UD7 and man what a stunning mobo. Installed it my chassis with a 965 until my 8150P arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    Augustus you may have either faulty speakers or faulty board if you hear popping. check with another set of speakers before you can conclude which is at fault

in terms of unlocking older chips i will ask, i think i have one somewhere to check but im away for a week from today so cant really do anything till i get back, hopefully someone can give me heads up but i dont see why it wouldnt unlock older chips
    Thanks for the replies dinos22 and sin0822.

I've pretty much given up on unlocking Phenom (as i'm definitley getting an FX of some description) on this board and was more wondering about the FX unlocking. What AMD are saying about unlocking FX they also said about Phenom yet the MB manufacturers still managed it. I'd be interested to find out what seemingly borked modules on FX can still do as i've had a fair few Phenom that turned out to be great even with so-called faulty cores; it all adds to the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    Trying to test out my 8120 with the F5 BIOS. No matter what I do, it throttles back to 2.8Ghz when stress testing. All power saving stuff is off, turbo and CPB are off, C1E, C6, CNQ, all that is off. Tried OCing just to 3.8 and it still drops down to 2.8.
    While this may be of little comfort, do know that it's not just you. My 8120 does the same thing. Specifically what is happening seems to be that the TDP estimation part of turbo isn't properly disabled. You'll note that the further you overclock the more cores are throttled and for longer. You'll actually start going negative in performance gains somewhere between 4.3 and 4.6 GHz due to it. Any setting beyond 14x is going to cause it, however, so no matter what your BD isn't going to perform as well as it would on other boards. Your chip is going to head back to a 14x multiplier (on an 8120) to be precise. Consequently, if you want to mitigate the problem in the mean time between now and when Gigabyte fixes it in a future BIOS, you can overclock using a high HTT and lower multiplier to reduce the impact. It sort of negates the purpose of a black edition, but it'll work.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    While this may be of little comfort, do know that it's not just you. My 8120 does the same thing. Specifically what is happening seems to be that the TDP estimation part of turbo isn't properly disabled. You'll note that the further you overclock the more cores are throttled and for longer. You'll actually start going negative in performance gains somewhere between 4.3 and 4.6 GHz due to it. Any setting beyond 14x is going to cause it, however, so no matter what your BD isn't going to perform as well as it would on other boards. Your chip is going to head back to a 14x multiplier (on an 8120) to be precise. Consequently, if you want to mitigate the problem in the mean time between now and when Gigabyte fixes it in a future BIOS, you can overclock using a high HTT and lower multiplier to reduce the impact. It sort of negates the purpose of a black edition, but it'll work.
    I experienced the same issue and supplied a solution a few days ago in this thread.
    Load AMD overdrive. Enable turbocore, hit OK. Disable turbocore, hit ok.
    Tadaaaa! No more throttling. It works.....use it! I found this in one of the online reviews. It disables the power management.

I remembered having read something about it and did try that, but the problem is that AOD doesn't seem to work on the UD3. Changing settings in it does nothing, including toggling Turbo.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Barr3l Rid3r View Post
    What's the difference between ud3 rev 1.0 and 1.2 ? Only esata controller? I've noticed some different components displacement around cpu area.
    Load-line calibration is adjustable by software, rev 1.0 this wasnt possible.

::: Desktop's - Intel *** Intel 2
    2 x Xeon E5-2687W *** Intel i7 3930k
    EVGA SR-X *** Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 x4 960Gb *** 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb
    Avermedia LiveGamer HD capture card
    Caselabs TX10-D
    14 x 4 TB WD RE4 in RAID10+2Spare
    4 x Corsair AX1200

::: Basement DataCenter :::
    [*] Fibreoptic connection from operators core network
    [*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] Additional SAN machines with FusionIO ioDrive Octal's (4 total Octals).
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

Xtreme Member
    I remembered having read something about it and did try that, but the problem is that AOD doesn't seem to work on the UD3. Changing settings in it does nothing, including toggling Turbo.
    Worked for me. But my board and or CPU died running prime at 3.8 with 1.28v with max temp of 53C.
    Heatware Cecil

Xtreme Member
    I have a UD7 and it sufferes some pretty serious Vdroop. It forces me to use insane voltages just so it hits the right voltage when it is under load. So far i have had my 8120 up to 5.175Ghz single thread stable(superpi) and 5.060Ghz 8 thread stable (wprime). But i have to use 1.725V which droops all the way down to 1.61V when loaded. I am using decent water cooling and i am only just starting to hit low 60C. So right in the thermal limit. Does anyone know how to disable modules so i can do a CPU-Z suicide run? I am at may ceiling with all modules running and want to see if teh thermal load is reduced by disabling cores/modules.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbster1966 View Post
    I have a UD7 and it sufferes some pretty serious Vdroop. It forces me to use insane voltages just so it hits the right voltage when it is under load. So far i have had my 8120 up to 5.175Ghz single thread stable(superpi) and 5.060Ghz 8 thread stable (wprime). But i have to use 1.725V which droops all the way down to 1.61V when loaded. I am using decent water cooling and i am only just starting to hit low 60C. So right in the thermal limit. Does anyone know how to disable modules so i can do a CPU-Z suicide run? I am at may ceiling with all modules running and want to see if teh thermal load is reduced by disabling cores/modules.
    Need to set 1.7V to get 1.55V under load...
    something

It looks like I am wrong. It didn't work last weekend when I tried it on F5B, but AOD does appear to do the Turbo trick on BIOS F5 (released Monday). Excellent. Thanks for mentioning it as I'd written it off as a dead end already.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast