Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what causes cloudy tubes?

I am Xtreme

So what causes cloudy tubes?

Broke my loop down tonight so I can install my new video card tomorrow, and I noticed that all of my tubing was incredibly cloudy. This is my 2nd loop using this same tubing, and same kind of distilled water/biocide combo. I don't use any sort of dyes or anti-corrisive additives, or kill-coils or anything. Last time I broke my loop apart (after about 2 months of use) the tubing was still perfectly clear. The only different this time around was that I went with a different reservoir (XSPC dual bay/D5 this time, Swiftech MicroRes last time), and this time my loop wasn't 100% bled. I've had it running for almost 2 months before I broke it down tonight, and frequently I heard bubbles due to the difficulty I had bleeding with this reservoir.

Any way, what causes this? Is it possible that all the extra air being moved around in my loop could have caused this? Possible that I used TOO much biocide or maybe not enough? The water looked pretty clean although it smelled funny (not sure how I could describe how it smelled). It doesn't smell dirty or anything, it just smells.. I dont know, fresh, filtered smell. Not a dirty disgusting smell though.

Here's a few pictures:

Xtreme Member
    It's your Tygon R3603 leaching plasticiser. I used to use it and it turned out exactly the same. These tubes are actually for say peristaltic pumps, hence the compressibility requirement.

Use Primochill or Tygon B-44-X or Tygon B-44-3. B-44-X seems to have some complaints...B-44-3 none. But that's probably because I'm the only one on these forums using it.

Xtreme Member
    My R3400 is fine :p
    Water
    Air

WC: EK Supreme HF | EK FC-6970 | 2x DDC 3.25 | EK DDC Dual V2 | EK Res X2 250 | TFC X-Changer 480

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvmc View Post
    My R3400 is fine :p
    Yeah, I guess that's fine too. Too stiff for my liking though.

Xtreme Mentor
    Many of us use Primochill LRT now. Soft, good bend radius and very very little clouding.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Sandoval

tubing

+1 for primochill 7/16"
    using it for almost 6 years and 3 builds

i7 980x | corsair dominator 6x4 Gb | TJ07
    SLI GTX 580x2 | GT430 | rampage 3 | corsair AX1200
    LSI 9265 | OCZ vertex 128x4 raid0 | corsair c300 | hitachi 3tbx3 |
    blocks: cpu hk 3.0 | gpu aquacomputer 580x2 | mb ek re3 fc | ram bitspower galaxy
    pump: laing d5 x2 | res: koolance 452x2
    rad: TC 120.3 120.2 | scythe GTx5
    NASs: qnap 879 8x3tb | thecus N5200 2tbx5

Xtreme Mentor
    I actually have some of the Primochill colored tubing that has darkened and I only use distilled and PT-nuke. The Masterkleer tubing I have used in the past was pretty good about not clouding and is about a third of the cost.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    The clear Primochill LRT can cloud also. My recent loop is already clouding after about one month... Although it is not as bad as the Tygon it replaced (Avatar pic).
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

I am Xtreme
    So do you guys recommend this?

http://www.amazon.com/PrimoFlex-Blac...033333&sr=8-12

Seems like a great price (considering free shipping, no sales tax to CA) for what seems to be very popular tubing. They have other colors too.

I've been wanting to get black tubing (not a fan of the dyes), and I don't mind if it clouds a little as long as there's no ramifications later on down the road because of it.

Can't you scrub the inside of the tubes to make them clear again? I remember wading up a paper towel and pushing it through the tubing to clean them up. The loop had to be dissembled though. Also, It's probably easier to just buy tubing in bulk and replace it periodically.

I am Xtreme
    Yeah you could, it's evident in the 2nd picture I posted. I slid a cloth with a screwdriver and softly wiped some of the cloudiness off.

Yeah Amazon sells 10' of Primochill tubing for $16 shipped. At that price I'd rather just buy extra tubing and drain my loop every 6 months or so.

of the Strawhat crew.
    I'm having the exact same issue with the exact same tubing. I had to flush my loop out a ton but the tube is still cloudy.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Member
    Btw, If you're wondering, My B-44-3 doesn't cloud.... at all. It's as clear after a year's of use as it was when it arrived in a loop.

And I used 'black' feser pre mix.

I am Xtreme
    Wow that looks great! It's pretty expensive stuff though. 10' on Amazon is almost $40! I guess it's reasonable, but I'm comparing it to Primochill which is a lot cheaper

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    Btw, If you're wondering, My B-44-3 doesn't cloud.... at all. It's as clear after a year's of use as it was when it arrived in a loop.

And I used 'black' feser pre mix.
    Good to know. Can you compare the B-44's "stiffness" to say normal Tygon 3603 or Primochill LRT?

P.S. That fluid color looks purple to me.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcZ View Post
    Wow that looks great! It's pretty expensive stuff though. 10' on Amazon is almost $40! I guess it's reasonable, but I'm comparing it to Primochill which is a lot cheaper
    It's less expensive to me because I use 1/4" ID 3/8" OD

Mine's a 25 feet roll. Have had it for at least 2 years now. I've still got half the roll left after 2 builds (and a few rebuilds)

But I highly recommend it. Unlike B-44-X, this one's got a hydrophobic inner bore that's why the liquid in the pics have beaded up. You can literally shake the fluid out.

Primochill's much cheaper though so I believe most will go for it.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArrow View Post
    Good to know. Can you compare the B-44's "stiffness" to say normal Tygon 3603 or Primochill LRT?

P.S. That fluid color looks purple to me.
    It's definitely stiffer than R3603. No where near the stiffness of Tygon silver though. I'd rather it as very workable. Then again, I use such low ID tubing..... Because of the unconventional size, I've not used Primochill either but from a demonstration a friend once did, the primochill's stiffer than R3603 too.

And yes, precisely. The fluid's actually purple. Feser cheats. They just use a very high concentration of dye.

Here's a picture of the exact same fluid with R3603

Not nice.
    Last edited by Fatfool; 06-03-2011 at 12:15 AM.

I am Xtreme
    I got my Primochill today in the mail and it's definitely stiffer than 3603 Tygon, but it seems like it'll fit the bill just fine. This tubing is 100% black and not see-through at all.

How is one to know whether or not there's bubbles in the tubing? lol

Xtreme Member
    I got my Primochill today in the mail and it's definitely stiffer than 3603 Tygon, but it seems like it'll fit the bill just fine. This tubing is 100% black and not see-through at all.

How is one to know whether or not there's bubbles in the tubing? lol
    Check for bubbles in reservoir.

I am Xtreme
    Well yeah but I mean, a lot of times bubbles get stuck in the actual tubing and I have to flick that area of the tubing in order to dislodge those bubbles

That was more of a joke than it was a question, haha.

Xtreme Member
    I bought some tubing at ace hardware and it doesn't cloud it was 1.09 per foot, my 1st loop i bought some expensive 2.99 per foot and it clouded up bad.
    Current Rig - Sandy H20 - i2600k @ 4.6ghz - P8P67 Deluxe - 8 GB DDR3 1600 - - Custom H20 Kit - DD Moonsoon - GTZ - Swiftech 360 - D5- 2x GTX 460 in Sli - Corsair TX850W - Corsair 800 D - Loving Life

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can anyone link me to some of the tygon b44-3 tubing?

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    The Masterkleer tubing I have used in the past was pretty good about not clouding and is about a third of the cost.
    you take that back.

ive been using primochil for about 1.5 years now. still looks brandnew. distilled+Kilcoil.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenjiwing View Post
    Can anyone link me to some of the tygon b44-3 tubing?
    http://www.amazon.com/Tygon-B-44-3-B...134500&sr=8-28

Xtreme Member
    Well yeah but I mean, a lot of times bubbles get stuck in the actual tubing and I have to flick that area of the tubing in order to dislodge those bubbles

That was more of a joke than it was a question, haha.
    no you don't. Just let the loop run. Btw, I found that the thermochill EC6 coolant got rid of bubbles in about 3 hours from fill time (empty loop)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast